or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 913

post #13681 of 16678

Can anyone recommend some good replacement HE500 cables to me? Hopefully nothing too expensive. I've been looking at Toxic Cable's line and am wondering if there's anything else in that price range that is good.

post #13682 of 16678

ITT: Obligatory, subjective advice. That being said... Trevor at Norne Cables is the most helpful vendor I've ever dealt with. His cables don't suck either :beerchug:

post #13683 of 16678
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averruncus View Post

Can anyone recommend some good replacement HE500 cables to me? Hopefully nothing too expensive. I've been looking at Toxic Cable's line and am wondering if there's anything else in that price range that is good.
I have two Forza Audioworks cables and they are excellent, one TRS and one for speaker taps.
post #13684 of 16678

Thanks for the suggestions!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
 

ITT: Obligatory, subjective advice. That being said... Trevor at Norne Cables is the most helpful vendor I've ever dealt with. His cables don't suck either :beerchug:

 

Damn, the Skoll series is in my budget and looks incredible. Red with wood splitter seems so luxurious...

post #13685 of 16678

My new Norne cable for my LFF Enigmas are coming in soon and it is red. I can send you pics when it gets here if you want to see how it looks. My Norne cable for my HE500 is just black with a Wenge splitter.

post #13686 of 16678

If you fancy a bit of DIY i can recommend Canare L-4E6S, seemed a waste not to use the SMC connectors supplied in the box :normal_smile :

 

HE-500 cable made from Canare L-4E6S

post #13687 of 16678

^ Nice DIY!

post #13688 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terja View Post

^ Nice DIY!
Agreed. I used the same cable and looks for a 3.5mm>2xXLR cable.
post #13689 of 16678

Thanks guys, the choice of Canare cable came from this link -> http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Convert_HE-500

 

I tried the grill mod last night and i'm still on the fence if i like it or not, its possibly a little bit too bright now for my liking, but it did seem to help the low end dynamics which i do prefer.  I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions, and see what else you have all tried?

 

Grill mod on HE-500

post #13690 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

If you fancy a bit of DIY i can recommend Canare L-4E6S, seemed a waste not to use the SMC connectors supplied in the box :normal_smile :

 

HE-500 cable made from Canare L-4E6S

 

Yup,  looks super clean. It's amazing how much money you save doing something like this. A simple snip of the sleeving to make the Y-split and canare/mogami wire is about the highest quality wire around.

post #13691 of 16678







I used an eye cover that I got for free and never used. The area of weight distribution is bigger and I can move it way behind on the back of my head while the headphones and the stock headband stays in the middle of my head. I'd say worth a try for everyone as this mod is really cheap. Something stiffer would work even better - the stiffer the better weight distribution across this new headband.
Edited by .Sup - 5/18/14 at 2:14pm
post #13692 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post










I used an eye cover that I got for free and never used. The area of weight distribution is bigger and I can move it way behind on the back of my head while the headphones and the stock headband stays in the middle of my head. I'd say worth a try for everyone as this mod is really cheap. Something stiffer would work even better - the stiffer the better weight distribution across this new headband.



THAT is a really interesting mod. Does it feel a lot lighter though? i.e. Disappears on your head?
post #13693 of 16678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

Thanks guys, the choice of Canare cable came from this link -> http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Convert_HE-500

 

I tried the grill mod last night and i'm still on the fence if i like it or not, its possibly a little bit too bright now for my liking, but it did seem to help the low end dynamics which i do prefer.  I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions, and see what else you have all tried?

 

Grill mod on HE-500

 

I feel the same about there being a touch too much treble with fully open grill. I've found myself really enjoying a similar mesh to your pic, but with the foam inserts from replacement Beyer pads adhered to the inside of the grill. The foam I'm talking about is the stuff that normally sits between DT880 (or similar) drivers and your ears.

 

Somehow it still sounds more open than the stock setup, but without quite as much treble. Not quite as open sounding as with no fabric though.

post #13694 of 16678

Here's my version of the grill mod. I feel less muddiness in the sound. So far, so good:

 

 

post #13695 of 16678

Aren't you guys afraid of dust getting in? :o 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .