Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 897

post #13441 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 


I am going to attempt a diy cable, on the connector to the headphone the pos goes to the center,

where do you solder the ground? Anything else I should know or watch for? Thanks

 

On the knurled portion.  Have a look at this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread#post_9697477

 

HTH.

post #13442 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

On the knurled portion.  Have a look at this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread#post_9697477

 

HTH

Thanks:beerchug:

post #13443 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 


I am going to attempt a diy cable, on the connector to the headphone the pos goes to the center,

where do you solder the ground? Anything else I should know or watch for? Thanks


I do things a little differently

I first remove the knurled portion completely this opens up access to the positive connection

Then I solder the ground to the back of the body

Cover with glue lined heat-shrink to finish

Some kind of magnifier helps allot

Good luck

post #13444 of 15191

Now I totally get what people mean when they say the HE-500 needs power to sound good. I got a V200 in today and my HE-500s came alive, they have never sounded this good. 

post #13445 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

Now I totally get what people mean when they say the HE-500 needs power to sound good. I got a V200 in today and my HE-500s came alive, they have never sounded this good. 


What were you using before?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
post #13446 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post
 


I do things a little differently

I first remove the knurled portion completely this opens up access to the positive connection

Then I solder the ground to the back of the body

Cover with glue lined heat-shrink to finish

Some kind of magnifier helps allot

Good luck


How do you finish the split to the phones using the canare star quad? Where do you purchase your heat shrink? Any other suggestions?? Thanks

post #13447 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikryst View Post

What were you using before?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The M-stage modded with the OPA627.
post #13448 of 15191
So... I know that most people who have tried the alpha pads on the he-500's like the comfort but tend to think that they sound worse. I have to share my experience over the last couple of days using them against the lcd-2's, and compared to the jergpads i find the treble much closer to the lcd-2's with the alpha pads but with just a bit more sparkle. To my ears it makes the treble response much less peaky and tames the 9khz spike considerably. The alpha pads also bring vocals much closer to the lcd-2's. I think they are filling in the 5-6 khz dip in the mids but not sure the reasoning i feel the mids are better. Also sound is more holographic due to the angled drivers. If i push the back of the driver in so it isn't angled, the sound becomes much less holographic and more 2-d.

In conclusion, comfort is improved, mids (primarily vocals) are more prominent, and the treble spike is tamed. It takes away from the airyness a bit, but the alpha pads help bring forth a more holographic effect due to the angle of the drivers. This helps add depth to the sound and make them feel much less 2-d if that makes sense.


ALPHA PADS_
-more bass presence then velours
-more apparent or spotlit vocals
-less treble spike
-less air between instruments
-more holographic
-more comfortable.
post #13449 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel8888 View Post

So... I know that most people who have tried the alpha pads on the he-500's like the comfort but tend to think that they sound worse. I have to share my experience over the last couple of days using them against the lcd-2's, and compared to the jergpads i find the treble much closer to the lcd-2's with the alpha pads but with just a bit more sparkle. To my ears it makes the treble response much less peaky and tames the 9khz spike considerably. The alpha pads also bring vocals much closer to the lcd-2's. I think they are filling in the 5-6 khz dip in the mids but not sure the reasoning i feel the mids are better. Also sound is more holographic due to the angled drivers. If i push the back of the driver in so it isn't angled, the sound becomes much less holographic and more 2-d.

In conclusion, comfort is improved, mids (primarily vocals) are more prominent, and the treble spike is tamed. It takes away from the airyness a bit, but the alpha pads help bring forth a more holographic effect due to the angle of the drivers. This helps add depth to the sound and make them feel much less 2-d if that makes sense.


ALPHA PADS_
-more bass presence then velours
-more apparent or spotlit vocals
-less treble spike
-less air between instruments
-more holographic
-more comfortable.

Try experimenting with cotton, I thought the alpha pads sounded way too thick and congested unmodded.

 

More cotton- less 100-60Hz, less 200Hz (albeit slight), more 6-9K, more 12K, and more treble extension overall.
 

post #13450 of 15191
Yea I actually like the more dense, less airy sound because it gives me something VERY close to the lcd-2 that i am returning and sounds absolutely fantastic for vocals, and i can switch to velours if i want a lighter more airy presentation while retaining the core of the he-500 sound.

The thing about the he-500 treble is this: while it pulls off one of the greatest paradoxical feats in the headphone world by having sparkly, airy, almost bright treble while at the same time being rarely to never sibilant or fatiguing. BUT there is a TIZZ present in all hifiman cans ive tried (he-400, he-500, he-4,5,6), and while the he-500 has the least tizz, it still takes away from making things sound "real". When i listen to sounds in real life they are usually presented with much less high frequency presency than most headphones have. To me the lcd-2.2 treble sounds about right, even though the mids are a bit forward and colored.

The alpha pads help to add a realness to the treble by reducing the spike and reducing the tizz, and enhancing the musicality in the midrange. That's my impression of them at least.
Edited by kernel8888 - 4/24/14 at 4:13pm
post #13451 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 


How do you finish the split to the phones using the canare star quad? Where do you purchase your heat shrink? Any other suggestions?? Thanks


I used TeckFlex on the wires it is a little micro-phonic but it is tough and easy to work nylon sleeve is better or para cord cover

Each end is finished with clear heat shrink with the connector and split covered with a piece of black glue lined heat shrink to seal everything the black is under the clear on the connector and over on the split

Electronic supply shops and fishing tackle shops carry heat shrink EBay is also good, Parts Connexion is a great on-line source for all kinds of cable related stuff

On my most recent cable for my hd800 I ran a single piece of star quad to each connector and all the way to the plug then double wired everything so no split or sleeve required . I think this would work on the HE500 but soldering two wires to that tiny little pin would be tricky.

post #13452 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post
 


I used TeckFlex on the wires it is a little micro-phonic but it is tough and easy to work nylon sleeve is better or para cord cover

Each end is finished with clear heat shrink with the connector and split covered with a piece of black glue lined heat shrink to seal everything the black is under the clear on the connector and over on the split

Electronic supply shops and fishing tackle shops carry heat shrink EBay is also good, Parts Connexion is a great on-line source for all kinds of cable related stuff

On my most recent cable for my hd800 I ran a single piece of star quad to each connector and all the way to the plug then double wired everything so no split or sleeve required . I think this would work on the HE500 but soldering two wires to that tiny little pin would be tricky.

 

How do you get the glue-lined heat-shrink to stay in place until it's shrunk and stuck?

post #13453 of 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

How do you get the glue-lined heat-shrink to stay in place until it's shrunk and stuck?


I use the heat from a candle flame to shrink it gives quite a narrow beam of heat so it is possible to hold the tube in place at one end and slowly pass the other end above the flame . The tube will react quickly when it hits the heat stream , once one end has shrunk you can let go and gradually work to the other end rotating as you go.

It takes a little practice to get the distance from the flame right too far and it won't shrink too close and it will burn

post #13454 of 15191
When I make cables I sleeve the splits and finish with heat shrink on the ends where the Y is, then I sleeve the rest and use a bigger heat shrink tube to go over the previous 2 and the sleeving for the bottom part. The cross section looks like this--> (8) imagine the parenthesis are connected.

Edit: I hold the cable horizontally with the heat shrinkin place and use a heat gun to shrink it.
Edited by Ultramus - 4/26/14 at 9:22am
post #13455 of 15191
I'm planing to get HE500, but somewhat unsure what amp/dac combo to get. Is magni modi better over vali modi? Would magni odac be a possibility? Lastly, I'm also considering audio gd 11.32. Which is the best option? Budget is 300€ but might boost up to 400.
Edited by MunDa - 4/26/14 at 2:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .