I had an identical impression (nothing lacking, taming some glare) with Audio gd NFB-12 (predecessor of NFB-15). NFB-10 was clearly better though.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- which is the best headphone with bass punch and good sq Last post on 5/11/14 at 5:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Speaker cables for headphones? Last post on 4/21/14 at 8:13pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) Last post on 8/19/14 at 10:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 889
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Thanks to all who responded to my question about an amp for the 500's.
Seems like you all like Schitt, somehow when I have listened to Schitt stuff
at the shows it never caught my fancy. I listened to my 500's with a speaker
amp at the SF show and like the sound but I still would like to try the Audio gd
stuff. Anyone with experience with the 500's and an Audio gd amp/dac combo?
Not the biggest fan of schiit here either. I always avoided audio gd just because of the cheap look / 1990s website. Ofc there are a lot of gd fans on the site because they have good prices on their gear and, so I've heard, it's a good value. Why not try the Woo WA7 or Centrence dacmini as a combo? Unless by combo you just mean two separate pieces from the same brand. I think the two I mentioned are some of the most solid, no frills combos you can get for the HE-500. The ALO Audio Pan Am is also an option, though I don't know much about it, it might be low output into 32-50ohm. I'm sure someone can help me out with that info.
Edited by Llloyd - 4/11/14 at 10:16am
Balanced obviously adds to the power. I hear a little larger soundscape, and placement of instruments and voices are very solid.
I am also using balanced right now with the new HE560 and get the same results. Very open, dynamic pinpoint imaging. The 500 and 560 do sound different but feel the 500 is a great phone to go with, just a little different sound, with the 560 having a little more extension and speed. Like venues either at a recording or live, sound changes and so with headphones, nothing being totally better, just a different view of the music.
The 560 are a review sample.
The He-500's just work that way, I enjoy them off on my iPad more than my O2 amp.
I enjoy my KRK KNS 8400 out of the new Macbook pro Retina better than I like it off the O2 or Fiio E10. E11 however is nice. Apple definitely stepped up their headphone output in the last 2 year. The headphone jack off my 2013 Macbook pro sounds way better than the Macbook pro of 2010.
I'm going to be getting a Topping Tp60 soon for my HE-500's, but they're rated at 50 WPC at 8 ohms, which is overkill for the HE-500's. Any idea of how I can use the amp without blowing out my HE-500's?
Or, just be careful with the volume knob and turn it slowly.
That should be fine as is. That is a tri-path amp, they run cool and do better at low volumes anyways.
There is one member on here who prefers it to the Emotiva (lower noise floor, better dynamics according to him). I recommended one to a budget-minded friend based on what I read on here and he loves it with the HE-500 ( I have yet to hear his set-up), but his first one was DOA , they did send him a replacement, but that makes me question the quality a bit.
Take a look at the thread on audio karma for more details.
So this may be of some interest:
I am the only one I know (family, friends, co-workers) who gives a crap about their audio setup. Most people I know are fine with their Apple earbuds and don't care to try anything else. I'm sure many of you can relate. The real shame is that almost everyone in my family is either a musician or really into music - they just don't care to get into the tech of higher-quality listening.
I had my family and a few friends over my apartment last night, I took the opportunity to demo my HE-500 / Lyr setup. I made sure that I had some FLAC files of each person's favorite music beforehand. Everyone was blown away...but the best was my father. He used to be a total music nerd, but in the past 30 years he's become the kind of guy who has replaced all his hobbies with work.
I let him listen to the Beatles, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, and a few others. It was amazing - it's the first time I have ever seen him concentrate on something that's not work related since I was a kid. He even listened to a new band (to him)- Radiohead's OK Computer - and liked it. He was like "wow, these guys really have a lot going on in their music."
So, fun little anecdote I guess. Quality audio is worth sharing.
And make sure that cable is balanced
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 3 seconds ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 19 seconds ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 27 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 33 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SRH1840 (USED) 1 minute ago
- › Best $300 Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Best sub $400 over the ear closed headphone??? HELP 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)