I had an identical impression (nothing lacking, taming some glare) with Audio gd NFB-12 (predecessor of NFB-15). NFB-10 was clearly better though.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 889post #13321 of 141904/11/14 at 5:01am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #13322 of 141904/11/14 at 7:14ampost #13323 of 141904/11/14 at 10:14amQuote:Originally Posted by rnadell
Thanks to all who responded to my question about an amp for the 500's.
Seems like you all like Schitt, somehow when I have listened to Schitt stuff
at the shows it never caught my fancy. I listened to my 500's with a speaker
amp at the SF show and like the sound but I still would like to try the Audio gd
stuff. Anyone with experience with the 500's and an Audio gd amp/dac combo?
Not the biggest fan of schiit here either. I always avoided audio gd just because of the cheap look / 1990s website. Ofc there are a lot of gd fans on the site because they have good prices on their gear and, so I've heard, it's a good value. Why not try the Woo WA7 or Centrence dacmini as a combo? Unless by combo you just mean two separate pieces from the same brand. I think the two I mentioned are some of the most solid, no frills combos you can get for the HE-500. The ALO Audio Pan Am is also an option, though I don't know much about it, it might be low output into 32-50ohm. I'm sure someone can help me out with that info.
Edited by Llloyd - 4/11/14 at 10:16ampost #13324 of 141904/11/14 at 10:35amThread StarterQuote:
Balanced obviously adds to the power. I hear a little larger soundscape, and placement of instruments and voices are very solid.
I am also using balanced right now with the new HE560 and get the same results. Very open, dynamic pinpoint imaging. The 500 and 560 do sound different but feel the 500 is a great phone to go with, just a little different sound, with the 560 having a little more extension and speed. Like venues either at a recording or live, sound changes and so with headphones, nothing being totally better, just a different view of the music.
The 560 are a review sample.post #13325 of 141904/11/14 at 5:46pmpost #13326 of 141904/11/14 at 6:26pmQuote:
The He-500's just work that way, I enjoy them off on my iPad more than my O2 amp.post #13327 of 141904/11/14 at 6:34pmThat's interesting. The same is true with my ultrasone signature dj headphones. They actually sound better straight from my iPhone than through my O2 while all my other headphones sound light years better using the O2. Weird stuff. I wonder what other headphones out there are like that besides the he-500 and ultrasone signature dj.post #13328 of 141904/11/14 at 6:48pm
I enjoy my KRK KNS 8400 out of the new Macbook pro Retina better than I like it off the O2 or Fiio E10. E11 however is nice. Apple definitely stepped up their headphone output in the last 2 year. The headphone jack off my 2013 Macbook pro sounds way better than the Macbook pro of 2010.post #13329 of 141904/11/14 at 8:05pm
I'm going to be getting a Topping Tp60 soon for my HE-500's, but they're rated at 50 WPC at 8 ohms, which is overkill for the HE-500's. Any idea of how I can use the amp without blowing out my HE-500's?post #13330 of 141904/11/14 at 8:15pmpost #13331 of 141904/11/14 at 8:19pmQuote:
Or, just be careful with the volume knob and turn it slowly.post #13332 of 141904/12/14 at 1:45amQuote:
That should be fine as is. That is a tri-path amp, they run cool and do better at low volumes anyways.
There is one member on here who prefers it to the Emotiva (lower noise floor, better dynamics according to him). I recommended one to a budget-minded friend based on what I read on here and he loves it with the HE-500 ( I have yet to hear his set-up), but his first one was DOA , they did send him a replacement, but that makes me question the quality a bit.post #13333 of 141904/12/14 at 3:09amThe TPA3116 boards are supposed to sound great and are a bargain on the bay if you don't mind a little diy. I have the black/blue board on the way and a nice little enclose.
Take a look at the thread on audio karma for more details.post #13334 of 141904/12/14 at 12:33pm
So this may be of some interest:
I am the only one I know (family, friends, co-workers) who gives a crap about their audio setup. Most people I know are fine with their Apple earbuds and don't care to try anything else. I'm sure many of you can relate. The real shame is that almost everyone in my family is either a musician or really into music - they just don't care to get into the tech of higher-quality listening.
I had my family and a few friends over my apartment last night, I took the opportunity to demo my HE-500 / Lyr setup. I made sure that I had some FLAC files of each person's favorite music beforehand. Everyone was blown away...but the best was my father. He used to be a total music nerd, but in the past 30 years he's become the kind of guy who has replaced all his hobbies with work.
I let him listen to the Beatles, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, and a few others. It was amazing - it's the first time I have ever seen him concentrate on something that's not work related since I was a kid. He even listened to a new band (to him)- Radiohead's OK Computer - and liked it. He was like "wow, these guys really have a lot going on in their music."
So, fun little anecdote I guess. Quality audio is worth sharing.post #13335 of 141904/12/14 at 12:47pmQuote:
And make sure that cable is balanced
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 40 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 41 seconds ago
- › Seattle Redhook Meet Saturday July 26th, 2014 57 seconds ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)