Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 885

post #13261 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

With me it's the other way around, I started out with a strong preference for SS gear but lately it's been my DV 337 tube amp that's been getting all the head-time with my HE-500 and HD-800 (not with the 6 as it lacks some power to drive them really well).  I'm hard to please, my ss amp is said to be among the most 'tube' sounding ones on the market and the DV is very neutral for a tube amp (depending also on the tubes used of course).  I auditioned a couple other tube amplifiers and don't really like those who sound overly 'tube-like' and get adjectives such as 'laid-back', 'syrupy', 'lush'. Also depends on the music of course but with classical I feel tubes do bring something extra to the table.

Have been rolling a load of 6AS7 and 6080 variants lately, together with the same pair of RCA 6SJ7WGT mesh plates.  Will do a complete write-up with pics in the appropriate thread once I'm done but generally I prefer the 6AS7 over the 6080 and -sad to say due to their insane pricing- at the moment the TungSol 5998 seem to rule the roost, power tube wise.  
Lolz..mate..ur starting to sound like me when i had that 337, but i agree, It has a very addictive sound with the right tubes(yep same ones u prefer) on the he500...almost unbeatable..as its fast and neutral almost like a good SS, but with the the soundstage and organic sound only a good tube amp can provide...

For MUCH better u have to invest hugely amp wise... As i did...
post #13262 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post
 

 

Glad to hear you're enjoying those HE-500 with the Lyr....excellent excellent synergy from what I remember.  That is one setup hard to beat for the $$.  You want to quit switching tubes?  IMO put endgame tubes that are more of an all around performer in the Lyr and listen to your heart's content.  I'd suggest Lorenz Stuggart 2 or 3 mica.....or Telefunken/Siemen cCA (big $$ though).....or also the the Amperex USN-CEP 6922's.  You won't need to roll any further IMO except for specifc tastes (trying to accentuate highs or bass etc....or a creamier sweeter tube like Mullard etc).  But yeah....with the ceramic base plate I'd doubt you can harm anything tube rolling for years continuously.  It's part of the fun with the Lyr.  Enjoy!

 

Definitely enjoying them. With regard to the sound cutting out, I reseated the headphone cables and I haven't had the issue repeat, so I think I'm okay.

 

I have promised myself that I'm going to take some time to get into these (stock tubes & 1974 Voskhod Rockets) before upgrading...especially to any big money tubes. Changing the tubes themselves is weird for a noob - they feel fragile (sockets soldered to the PCB, glass...all fragile things), but require a ton of force to move. But after a few switches I think i'll get the feel.

post #13263 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Lolz..mate..ur starting to sound like me when i had that 337, but i agree, It has a very addictive sound with the right tubes(yep same ones u prefer) on the he500...almost unbeatable..as its fast and neutral almost like a good SS, but with the the soundstage and organic sound only a good tube amp can provide...

For MUCH better u have to invest hugely amp wise... As i did...

MUCH is a very relative term and not quantifiable but I am glad you feel so.  Wait, feeling is also relative.  Nvm.  :D

 

Glad Xenophon is taking over the 337 torch for you.  Someone got to do it.

post #13264 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

MUCH is a very relative term and not quantifiable but I am glad you feel so.  Wait, feeling is also relative.  Nvm.  biggrin.gif

Glad Xenophon is taking over the 337 torch for you.  Someone got to do it.
Dude..i knew that when i say something etremely good about that 337 u or that other dude start saying its all relative, and trying to push it into the 'bragging about' corner or something....well..its not.. I had that amp and heard lots more expensive headphone amps..and only this amp that i have now really is better by a huge margin.. But as u know..i paid for that quality wink.gif

But the hard truth is that if u wanna better that amp (with the right tubes) big time with a he500 u have to invest big.. Thats not relative..its a fact..and if u ever listen to a 337 or 339 on a he500 u will find out urself.

and if u read up on xenophon trying out high end tube speaker amps and saying and i almost quote him: those amps are better..but not by big margin..so that means this 337 punches big time..and reading that i have a feeling the wa22 could be crying out if it would go one on one with that particular modded 337 with a he500... And that amp goes almost 4times the price of a 337.

But pls..as u say..its all relative...and its ofcourse my opinion...u dont need to believe it..even if u never ever heard that amp or any 337/339 amp for that matter...if u dont believe its not as good as we say so..its ur right, as yeah its all relative biggrin.gif

And xenophon doesnt need to to take over the torch..no need to..its a good amp..period...am just glad my amp went to the right person..

Maybe u should buy one also? Its cheap..And i understand the 337 does well with the hd800 and he500...so u can sell ur wa22 then and keep some money in ur pocket then and use it on both ur phones biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 4/7/14 at 2:30am
post #13265 of 14282

^ good idea but not going to happen.  No need for another 337 testifier in this thread.  2 is already plenty.  My Fiio 09K also sounds exceptional with HD800 by the way.  You should try it if you end up with HD800 someday. :D  I just love getting a page long back from you. :p

post #13266 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

^ good idea but not going to happen.  No need for another 337 testifier in this thread.  2 is already plenty.  My Fiio 09K also sounds exceptional with HD800 by the way.  You should try it if you end up with HD800 someday. :D  I just love getting a page long back from you. :p

 

It's like Full House.:D 

post #13267 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

^ good idea but not going to happen.  No need for another 337 testifier in this thread.  2 is already plenty.  My Fiio 09K also sounds exceptional with HD800 by the way.  You should try it if you end up with HD800 someday. biggrin.gif   I just love getting a page long back from you. tongue.gif
Hd800? Not going to happen... Thats going sidewise instead of up biggrin.gif

Will Only upgrade, and i mean only if i do wanna upgrade my headphone rig, and only then it will be a sr009 with a blue hawaii amp or a Woo WEE (and then drive it by my PaG) Nothing else wink.gif

But as i said before..after the PaG i will most likely go speaker amp stuff..and yep probably will be a (custommade) integrated BC amp (and external dac) or mcintosh versions with some juicy full size martin logan electrostats (new or second hand) to go with it biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 4/7/14 at 2:28am
post #13268 of 14282
Well, the 800 is not really an upgrade compared to the 6 but it does bring something different to the table, certainly vs the 500. I prefer the 800 over that last one for big orchestral works. Also owned the Fiio E17 and 09k combo but not overly impressed by them, if it has to be ultra low budget the O2/ODAC perform better imo.
post #13269 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Hd800? Not going to happen... Thats going sidewise instead of up biggrin.gif

Will Only upgrade, and i mean only if i do wanna upgrade my headphone rig, and only then it will be a sr009 with a blue hawaii amp or a Woo WEE (and then drive it by my PaG) Nothing else wink.gif

But as i said before..after the PaG i will most likely go speaker amp stuff..and yep probably will be a (custommade) integrated BC amp (and external dac) or mcintosh versions with some juicy full size martin logan electrostats (new or second hand) to go with it biggrin.gif

that we can agree on 100%.  Have you heard the combo before?  They're quite something.


Edited by koiloco - 4/7/14 at 8:54am
post #13270 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

Well, the 800 is not really an upgrade compared to the 6 but it does bring something different to the table, certainly vs the 500. I prefer the 800 over that last one for big orchestral works. Also owned the Fiio E17 and 09k combo but not overly impressed by them, if it has to be ultra low budget the O2/ODAC perform better imo.

Xenophon,  I and HFM were joking around, including about the E17/E09k.  We often keep each grounded so we don't float too high in lala land.  :D

post #13271 of 14282

Where's @StanD?  I think with his wizard credentials he could mod a FiiO to run some Stax.  Hmmm, maybe that's why he's been conspicuously absent of late.

post #13272 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Xenophon,  I and HFM were joking around, including about the E17/E09k.  We often keep each grounded so we don't float too high in lala land.  :D


Actually, the M-stage sounds pretty darn good with the HD800, so a budget amp with them is not out of the question. I prefer it to the 337 with the HD800.  But with the HD650 the 337 is fantastic. 

post #13273 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post
 


Actually, the M-stage sounds pretty darn good with the HD800, so a budget amp with them is not out of the question. I prefer it to the 337 with the HD800.  But with the HD650 the 337 is fantastic. 

 

How's the Fosgate with HD800 and HE500?

post #13274 of 14282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

Where's @StanD?  I think with his wizard credentials he could mod a FiiO to run some Stax.  Hmmm, maybe that's why he's been conspicuously absent of late.

Naw, I'm back, lurking in the shadows :evil:

 

A Hi-Voltage FiiO is asking for too much.

 

I'd like to see the look on Hifi's face is we rigged up a switch between his cans and two different amps, blindfolded him and asked that he identify which amp was switched in at different times and see what his batting average is. 50%

Hifi, no offence intended, this should summit it up → :confused_face(1):  In the meantime, continue enjoying your Blue Circle + Code-X.

post #13275 of 14282
Yeah, I should know better than to post stuff after a looonnnngggg day of meetings with people who just love to hear the sound of their own voice. Good thing the meter was running.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .