Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 880

post #13186 of 14659

How many of you have woodied HE-500s? I know a user on here makes cups (MunkeyNutz?) and I bet Martin Custom Audio could do it as well (I've seen him do the HE-6). I know it's purely aesthetic, but I was going to get my D2k's done as well. Post pics if possible!

post #13187 of 14659

I have been using the HE-500s with the Bottlehead Mainline for a few weeks now, but went back to the slightly less refined, but more powerful Bottlehead S.E.X. today with surprising results. While the Mainline is probably technically superior, the HE-500 + S.E.X. combo is wildly enjoyable and kept the Mainline and beyer T1s "on the shelf" for the whole afternoon!!

post #13188 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

I have been using the HE-500s with the Bottlehead Mainline for a few weeks now, but went back to the slightly less refined, but more powerful Bottlehead S.E.X. today with surprising results. While the Mainline is probably technically superior, the HE-500 + S.E.X. combo is wildly enjoyable and kept the Mainline and beyer T1s "on the shelf" for the whole afternoon!!

Nice! Can't wait to properly compare the T1 with the HE-500. I just got the HE-500 but I already want a HE-560 lol. Easier to drive and brighter sounds good to me. 

post #13189 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
 

How many of you have woodied HE-500s? I know a user on here makes cups (MunkeyNutz?) and I bet Martin Custom Audio could do it as well (I've seen him do the HE-6). I know it's purely aesthetic, but I was going to get my D2k's done as well. Post pics if possible!

I think there are only 2-3 out there that are completed, one I know being from MCA (they were also measured, you can find the post on his blog site somewhere) but yes, the consensus is that it doesn't really alter the sound (maybe a tad).  I have a pair of cups from MunkyNutz but that project is long delayed due to busy schedule :o Here are some pics of the pair Martin did:

 

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2013/01/walnut-burl-hifiman-he-500s.html

post #13190 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee754 View Post
 

If I will feel that O2 is not sufficient, how much would I have to spend on transparent solid-state amp that could power these (and maybe also even more power hungry headphones like HE-6)? I could chain it with my O2 to reuse ODAC.

 

Good european amp alternatives could be Lake people g109 (409 € at Thomann) and Meier Audio Corda Classic (normally 595€ inside EU, 515€//705 USD outside EU, now on sale at Meier Audio with a 75€/105 USD discount). These prices include p&p. Both are neutral and transparent solid-state amps having enough power to drive he500. If I remember correct, g109 produces about 2 W max output and Classic about 3 W when listening a 38 ohm HP like he500. Classic has also a crossfeed function. Some owners of the Corda Classic have used it with HE-6 and think that it has enough power to drive them.

 

I own a Corda Classic and he500 myself and have been very pleased with this combo.

post #13191 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

How many of you have woodied HE-500s? I know a user on here makes cups (MunkeyNutz?) and I bet Martin Custom Audio could do it as well (I've seen him do the HE-6). I know it's purely aesthetic, but I was going to get my D2k's done as well. Post pics if possible!
I have a pair of woodied HE500. Pics on head-fi thread HE500 review and shootout page 55.
Head fiers named Calico who lives in Jakarta made them.
post #13192 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

I have been using the HE-500s with the Bottlehead Mainline for a few weeks now, but went back to the slightly less refined, but more powerful Bottlehead S.E.X. today with surprising results. While the Mainline is probably technically superior, the HE-500 + S.E.X. combo is wildly enjoyable and kept the Mainline and beyer T1s "on the shelf" for the whole afternoon!!
Have you tried HE6 with Mainline and S.E.X too?
post #13193 of 14659

Thanks wewewho77 and Modular! I did get a quote from MCA. I'm waiting to hear how the HE-560's sound before I look into adding anything significant to the HE-500.

post #13194 of 14659
Thread Starter 

I should have the HE560 tomorrow. It will be interesting to compare to my unmodified HE500. I think, from what I have read, there is a place for both headphones. 

post #13195 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I should have the HE560 tomorrow. It will be interesting to compare to my unmodified HE500. I think, from what I have read, there is a place for both headphones. 
I agree. I think the he500 will remain different enough to have a place.
post #13196 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post


I agree. I think the he500 will remain different enough to have a place.

You are dreaming!  The 560 will blow the 500 out of the water. 560 > 500.  The statement returns true in any languages.  :D

post #13197 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

You are dreaming!  The 560 will blow the 500 out of the water. 560 > 500.  The statement returns true in any languages.  biggrin.gif
koiloco..my friend..how u know it will do that? blow out of the water?? did u hear the 560 already? new doesnt always mean better in my book...and the sr009 mk1 is in my book proof of that...mk2 is no better sounding i understand..and dont forget the older original SR Omega staxes..

well..we have to see then when the first people do a objective compare after the first WOW effect fades away....but still the 560 will be sold for 899usd..the 500 will be sold for 499usd or cheaper second hand...so in my book the 500 still has big right for existence...as its an excellent headphone overall.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/27/14 at 7:32pm
post #13198 of 14659
Thread Starter 

I will have the 560 in a day or so and can compare the two. From what I have read so far, the 500's are more lush sounding, don't have the top end and I would guess a little less transparent but you know, everyone has preferences, so for some music, or mood they both may have a place and why not. 

post #13199 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


koiloco..my friend..how u know it will do that? blow out of the water?? did u hear the 560 already? new doesnt always mean better in my book...and the sr009 mk1 is in my book proof of that...mk2 is no better sounding i understand..and dont forget the older omega staxes..

well..we have to see then when the first people do a objective compare after the first WOW effect fades away....but still the 560 will be sold for 899usd..the 500 will be sold for 499usd or cheaper second hand...so in my book the 500 still has big right for existence...as its an excellent headphone overall.

and you call yourself a computer guy?  :D  anyway, i was joking.  Read the last 2 sentences in my post again.  I was referring to any computer language. :p

post #13200 of 14659
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

and you call yourself a computer guy?  biggrin.gif   anyway, i was joking.  Read the last 2 sentences in my post again.  I was referring to any computer language. tongue.gif
oh..lolz..oopsie..was in lala land listening to music...so sometimes i miss the hint nowadays as my brain is in sleep mode then and needs time to start up again..like a laptop....hehehehe...560 is indeed >500 .always....yep got it now...wink.gif
ps...on my screen ur post only has one sentence.. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .