Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 868

post #13006 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


Could I ask, what amp you were using with them?

Sure:

 

HE-400: FiiO E10 --> O2+ODAC --> Schiit Magni+Modi

 

HE-500: Schiit Magni+Modi --> Asgard 2 + Bifrost  --> Lyr + Uber Bifrost

post #13007 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRising View Post
 

Sure:

 

HE-400: FiiO E10 --> O2+ODAC --> Schiit Magni+Modi

 

HE-500: Schiit Magni+Modi --> Asgard 2 + Bifrost  --> Lyr + Uber Bifrost

how would u rate out of 10

 

Schiit Magni+Modi --> Asgard 2 + Bifrost  --> Lyr + Uber Bifrost

post #13008 of 14586

Guys, have you ever experienced channel balance issues with the HE-500?

I was doing that Philips Golden Ears test other day and on the soundstage test (right/left balance) I noticed that right 2 and left 2 weren't quite equal in terms of volume and timbre. Right 2 was a bit quieter than left 2 and just sounded lower-fi. I tried switching the sides to see if it was my ears but the issue followed the driver. I'm still not sure if this is real or just a false impression, since I never realized it while listening to my music. Also, I tried with my other headphones and amps and to certain extent, the issue persisted. Could it be a DAC issue, maybe? Or is it just the recording? Any suggestions on how to test it better?


Edited by Okamoto - 3/14/14 at 2:26am
post #13009 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post
 

Guys, have you ever experienced channel balance issues with the HE-500?

I was doing that Philips Golden Ears test other day and on the soundstage test (right/left balance) I noticed that right 2 and left 2 weren't quite equal in terms of volume and timbre. Right 2 was a bit quieter than left 2 and just sounded lower-fi. I tried switching the sides to see if it was my ears but the issue followed the driver. I'm still not sure if this is real or just a false impression, since I never realized it while listening to my music. Also, I tried with my other headphones and amps and to certain extent, the issue persisted. Could it be a DAC issue, maybe? Or is it just the recording? Any suggestions on how to test it better?


Use a mono setting within foobar, that is the best way I know to judge imbalance.

post #13010 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post
 

Guys, have you ever experienced channel balance issues with the HE-500?

I was doing that Philips Golden Ears test other day and on the soundstage test (right/left balance) I noticed that right 2 and left 2 weren't quite equal in terms of volume and timbre. Right 2 was a bit quieter than left 2 and just sounded lower-fi. I tried switching the sides to see if it was my ears but the issue followed the driver. I'm still not sure if this is real or just a false impression, since I never realized it while listening to my music. Also, I tried with my other headphones and amps and to certain extent, the issue persisted. Could it be a DAC issue, maybe? Or is it just the recording? Any suggestions on how to test it better?

For more than a year I had balance issues with HE500 specifically (so I knew there were no issues with the upstream gear), not solved at the first two service attempts. At the third service attempt I got replacement cans with matched drivers impedance and I had no problems since then.

post #13011 of 14586
i019791 may I ask how you knew about the imbalance? Did you use some sort of a microphone to measure or just used your ears
post #13012 of 14586

Well, performed some tests today again with mono and stereo settings. Seems it was just a false impression. If there are differences, they're subtle enough that I need to do critical listening tests to detect them.

post #13013 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post
 

Well, performed some tests today again with mono and stereo settings. Seems it was just a false impression. If there are differences, they're subtle enough that I need to do critical listening tests to detect them.

I know this might seem obvious, but did you try messing with the connections and connectors on both ends of the HE-500 cable? Or maybe something related to the volume pot of your amp?

I have experienced imbalance as well, but quickly realized it was just the volume pot of an old amp giving me a hard time.

post #13014 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalz View Post


HD600 are in the market for decades even though with the influx of orthodynamic cans

i wonder how iong HE500 going to last

 

Apparently only as long as it takes the upcoming HE-400is and HE-560s to render them obsolete.  And they'll pry my HE-500s from my cold dead hands!... or until a pair of HE-560s comes along at a reasonable price ;)

post #13015 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post
 

Well, performed some tests today again with mono and stereo settings. Seems it was just a false impression. If there are differences, they're subtle enough that I need to do critical listening tests to detect them.

There's always frequency-specific imbalances with HFM drivers, just typically they are minor (maybe 0.5-1 dB difference, over a small section like say 2700 Hz - 3000 Hz). If you want to drive your OCD insane, use Sinegen and do a slow frequency sweep from 15 Hz to 20000 Hz and find out all the little imbalances and FR fluctuations of your headphones.

post #13016 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

There's always frequency-specific imbalances with HFM drivers, just typically they are minor (maybe 0.5-1 dB difference, over a small section like say 2700 Hz - 3000 Hz). If you want to drive your OCD insane, use Sinegen and do a slow frequency sweep from 15 Hz to 20000 Hz and find out all the little imbalances and FR fluctuations of your headphones.


Gotta say, I'm pretty OCD about imbalance. :D but I don't hear ANYTHING with my HE-500, so It's OK.

post #13017 of 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

i019791 may I ask how you knew about the imbalance? Did you use some sort of a microphone to measure or just used your ears

My ears, the ears of a friend and his HE500 to compare with mine HE500

post #13018 of 14586
I had hd600 and hd650 I enjoyed the 600 more but the he500 IMO kicks ass
post #13019 of 14586

Recently purchased a McIntosh D100 digital pre and have been trying a various headphones over the past month or so. Grado PS500, 325is, Sen 800HD and I currently have the HE-500 in my possession for a few days.

 

Gotta say, the HE500 are very impressive and overall my favorite so far. Waiting for the 560 which some are claiming are even better.

post #13020 of 14586

I have been an owner of HE500 for about 1 year. I never regard this headphone as outstanding headphone that can  blew me away esp when I found my endgame for both my HD600 and even my HD800.  When I put it on, I just hear sound .Impressive details and soundstage and warmish sound to me. It never touches my soul. It may touch my heart for certain song but I know it is just not good enough. I even call this headphone as a joke in HD600 forum . In fact has been so lightly used and was laying somewhere in my house for the past few months.

 

 Why I keep this headphone? Hmm there is 2 guys claiming what they heard so amazing music in HE500 First is Dubsteb girl & second  Hifimanrookie.  Dubsteb gal claim that one amp has driven HE500 up t a point it sound like thoudsands dollar cans & i think why she keep it . For her to keep this can excites me because i really believe she wrote. Hifiman rookie, well this guy is not a rookie to me.  I think they both really really really like music and want to find an end game rig. Not sure they are audiophile or not. Sorry guys. One thing I do know, they wanted a rig that moves them.

 

I then been asking in some forums on how to improve my lyr to  drive my HE500. Then I notice 2 guys  said that powercords can really change the performance of lyr provided you have a real good powerline or conditioner. I got to my shifu to make me a powercord made from special factory grade wire  (silver + copper)  like the fusion. Based on what Hifiman rookie claim , HE500 needs really good electricity and I do have a dedicated DIY powerline for my rig which consumes 500 watts of electricity. I know it is not cost effective but my aim is to be in audio nirvana when listening to music.

 

Now, my HE500 sings with  emotion .Love it . It colored the sound but I love it. I always like to watch” the voice” and I need to feel the music as the coach did. The coach will express themselves and I really need to feel just like them to justify my rig performance.  It is really hard when I have an endgame HD800 rig  as my benchmark. HD800 really shines when I played video - Lorde singing David letterman show. With Hd800,  I know why  Lorde won the best pop solo performance for her song Royal in the  2014 academy award. The way every crevices of her voice move up & down like a tidal of sea waves reacted to the movement her whole body is perfectly making sense. It feels that that that is no way she can deliver the song without such movement. Everything about her movement & her voice delivering the song Royals is synchronized perfectly in the video. Nothing should be changed-period

 

Was it as good as my HD800 or HD600. Not yet. These 2 cans have really push my emotion up to a point I can literally have tears tricking my eyes. I have spend month of tweaking these cans . However,  I don’t consider HE500  as joke no more.  I believe it can be tweaked a little bit more and really be one of the awesome cans in my rigs. I completely agree with Hifirookie on the fact that HE500 needs good amount  electricity to shine. They need a pure class A  amp no doubt.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .