Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 842

post #12616 of 16158

If you look carefully under (Control Panel)->(Sound)[Playback tab]-->Your device/driver[properties button] another window will pop up.

One of the tabs on that window will be "Enhancements" which allows you to do different things to the audio, some offer EQ or bass boost and a bunch of other things, sometimes even things you might never imagine as "Pitch Shift". So as you can see there is some fooling around in the drivers, So between that and possibly a touch of placebo, you never know what'll happen.

I use ASIO4ALL with certain USB devices with my DAW software. I get the best latency and no glitches, which is important with DAW. Well glitches are NFG period.

ASIO = Audio Stream Input Output (recording industry standard)

ASIO outputs a low-latency audio stream from a computer. It bypasses the Windoze KMixer.

post #12617 of 16158

Further to ^^ it may also depend on how your Wasapi output was setup in JRiver. If you're not using exclusive mode (or if something else is trying to take control of the soundcard / DAC) you may not be getting bit-perfect sound. I have definitely found better consistency with the performance of my X-Sabre using ASIO drivers, but I don't think it sounds different, it's just more stable.

 

I think any differences you are hearing will be an indication of the Wasapi not being setup correctly or possibly something to do with the enhancements mentioned above. I drove myself nuts recently trying to listen for audible differences and (if setup the same - both exclusive, bit perfect, etc.) there was no audible difference between Wasapi and ASIO.

post #12618 of 16158

Am perfectly content with windows direct sound..

post #12619 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Am perfectly content with windows direct sound..

 

Agree. It's so close to the bit perfect ones and it always works. I use ASIO because it works well on my setup, but I'd be happy with direct if it were my only option.

post #12620 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Velour pads for a more open, clean, bright sound; pleathers for a more intimate, wet and dark sound.

I like the cleaner sound of the velour pads but dislike the bright sound so I assume the only solution is to find some jergpads or wait for the new ones from hifiman to come out ?

 

p.S: Is it going to be any difference in sound going from the stock cable , silver to cooper ?

post #12621 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl4dimir View Post
 

I like the cleaner sound of the velour pads but dislike the bright sound so I assume the only solution is to find some jergpads or wait for the new ones from hifiman to come out ?

 

p.S: Is it going to be any difference in sound going from the stock cable , silver to cooper ?

Minor enough to be negligible / prone to placebo effect.

post #12622 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Minor enough to be negligible / prone to placebo effect.

I was waiting for you to reply. I wasn't upto the potential cable storm, now it's on you brother. :D

post #12623 of 16158
^ I think the majority would agree with Jerg on this
post #12624 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

^ I think the majority would agree with Jerg on this

^, yep but some cable fans get really upset when you contradict their beliefs.

post #12625 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

^ I think the majority would agree with Jerg on this
Maybe on this as u call it mid-fi thread... biggrin.gif

I had have had 6 cables until now..and on my rig u certainly hear differences in how they sounded..or better said..how they let sound through..

it was no placebo effect! Same thing could be said for the jergpads! Are those differences placebo effect? Some say it is..no matter how its meassured..

but as always..if u have a mediocre amp/dac (mid-fi..of only a few hundred usd) u wont hear any improvement on cables etc..as those cables only improve (or make worse!) the soundexperience in a small way and only if u go up in quality (am not talking about price..BUT QUALITY) u will hear differences...

as i once said..on the humble mstage i once had i almost didnt hear differences between a double helix cable and the standard silver plated copper cable..except for better quality and less microphonics and better looking..but when i went to the modified 337 with TS tubes i could hear differences very easily when changing cables..

only one cable didnt improve sound as far my experience...USB cabling...

but powercables (good ones) and headphonecables change the soundsignature for the better or for the worse... But it all depends on ur rig to let it through..

.its like a car..standard 1.1l budget cars can use premium octane 95 and 98 or even 100.. But u wont feel any change how it drives..BUT..if u change ur gas from octane 95 to 100 on a turbo charged modified engine u will see changes in how it picks up and goes through the gears and in my case i found out it drives more economical also when driving on octane 100.. (That was a huge surprise!) And thats no placebo effect as it directly affects my wallet when i drive a (at least) 280hp car. biggrin.gif

Its same thing with amps and the rest of ur rig...if its just mediocre..no matter how good it is for the price...its just a waste of time and money to tune it more with cables etc..u wont hear it..and if u do its indeed placebo..or partly placebo... Imho ofcourse

but u know me..am like the lone ranger here on this thread the last few months tongue.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 2/28/14 at 8:52am
post #12626 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Maybe on this as u call it mid-fi thread... biggrin.gif

I had have had 6 cables until now..and on my rig u certainly hear differences in how they sounded..or better said..how they let sound through..

it was no placebo effect! Same thing could be said for the jergpads! Are those differences placebo effect? Some say it is..no matter how its meassured..

but as always..if u have a mediocre amp/dac (mid-fi..of only a few hundred usd) u wont hear any improvement on cables etc..as those cables only improve (or make worse!) the soundexperience in a small way and only if u go up in quality (am not talking about price..BUT QUALITY) u will hear differences...

as i once said..on the humble mstage i once had i almost didnt hear differences between a double helix cable and the standard silver plated copper cable..except for better quality and less microphonics and better looking..but when i went to the modified 337 with TS tubes i could hear differences very easily when changing cables..

only one cable didnt improve sound as far my experience...USB cabling...

but powercables (good ones) and headphonecables change the soundsignature for the better or for the worse... But it all depends on ur rig to let it through..

.its like a car..standard 1.1l budget cars can use premium octane 95 and 98 or even 100.. But u wont feel any change how it drives..BUT..if u change ur gas from octane 95 to 100 on a turbo charged modified engine u will see changes in how it picks up and goes through the gears and in my case i found out it drives more economical also when driving on octane 100.. (That was a huge surprise!) And thats no placebo effect as it directly affects my wallet when i drive a (at least) 280hp car. biggrin.gif

Its same thing with amps and the rest of ur rig...if its just mediocre..no matter how good it is for the price...its just a waste of time and money to tune it more with cables etc..u wont hear it..and if u do its indeed placebo..or partly placebo... Imho ofcourse

but u know me..am like the lone ranger here on this thread the last few months tongue.gif

The difference between earpad modifications and different (and equally well-made) cables is incomparably huge. Earpads are to headphone drivers, as enclosure designs are to speaker drivers; meaning they are integral to the final sound signature and quality for better or worse.

 

People have tried measuring differences in cables objectively for audio and I think the farthest they got was some minor (sub- 1dB) broadband attenuations, mostly due to difference in cable impedance.

post #12627 of 16158

Like some like to think, the more you spend, the more you have to hear. :eek: 

Unless your cable is racked with excess capacitance, IMO there's nothing to get worked up about. I would say that earpads can have an acoustical difference which is more difficult to characterize or achieve.


Edited by StanD - 2/28/14 at 9:25am
post #12628 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Like some like to think, the more you spend, the more you have to hear. :eek: 


Pretty much, cept it might be something more like this:

 

Quote:
 For many, the more you read at Head-Fi, the more you want to believe, the more you spend, the more you have to hear.
post #12629 of 16158
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Like some like to think, the more you spend, the more you have to hear. :eek: 

Unless your cable is racked with excess capacitance, IMO there's nothing to get worked up about. I would say that earpads can have an acoustical difference which is more difficult to characterize or achieve.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


Pretty much, cept it might be something more like this:

 

 For many, the more you read at Head-Fi, the more you want to believe, the more you spend, the more you have to hear.

I could go along with that.

post #12630 of 16158

I really hate to say it, but cables can make a difference if your system is revealing enough...and I'm not talking mid fi HE-500 stuff. At least something like a LCD-3 on a $10,000 rig (NAD+Luxman) I've heard, there is a difference between the stock cable and my upgraded HPL silver and Norse copper. 

 

Although HE-500 on a Emotiva might not yield that. I certainly didn't feel much. Although the stock HE-500 cable was a pain in the ass to deal with physically.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .