or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 830

post #12436 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 

Huh, first I have heard of such a complaint.

Mike aka zilch mod comes to mind. He even hated it with LCD-2. The LCD-2 so far has been the only headphone I loved the Emotiva with. The HE-500 and LCD-3 were never quite loved, but definitely liked from time to time, especially HE-500. 

 

Going to sell my LCD-3. Might consider a LCD-2 or TH-900 down the road.

post #12437 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

I have the newer HFM pads (LEFT, in your pic), and the ring can be pulled out.  The vinyl overlaying it is fairly flexible.  It takes a little more effort and stretching/bending to get it back in, but it's doable if you work it around.  No cutting necessary.
post #12438 of 18011
Thanks, I will give that a try.
post #12439 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


Yea at best you get from ASUS the following: LINK

 

Headphone : 7 Vrms ( Vp-p)

 

Which if my math is correct: P = V^2 / R the following is true:

 

@ 35 ohm - 1400mW

@ 50 ohm - 950mW

@ 100 ohm - 490mW

@ 250 ohm - 196mW

@ 300 ohm - 163mW

@ 600 ohm - 82mW

 

Which is a lot for the lower impedance headphones, but Im telling you I was never impressed by that output and really just used my E1 as a DAC.

So why doesn't it drive the He-500s? They are 32(?) ohms right? I'm using an M-stage right now and it does pretty well. 

post #12440 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post

NFB 5.32 has been replaced by Compass 2

The compass 2 isn't sold in Australia yet.
post #12441 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

So why doesn't it drive the He-500s? They are 32(?) ohms right? I'm using an M-stage right now and it does pretty well. 


Hmmm, good point. I guess it should have had more than enough power to drive the HE-500's, but it just didnt sound great to me. I like the Emotiva mini-X a-100 much more and plus I like having separate DACs and amps.

post #12442 of 18011

Oh, and what's with the muses edition? Do opamps improve the output power? 

 

I don't like a lot of cables everywhere so I prefer a one box solution. 

post #12443 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Oh, and what's with the muses edition? Do opamps improve the output power? 

 

I don't like a lot of cables everywhere so I prefer a one box solution. 

Dude its two 6 inch RCA cables if you stack the boxes on top of each other...

 

The MUSES edition contains a number of extremely overpriced op amps that run $50+ each. It also gives a gain swtich as well as a better volume pot that doesnt suffer from channel imbalance at lower volumes like the standard edition does. You can add them yourself at anytime and supposedly its an amazing upgrade but with an average of six bought to do the upgrade IMO youre better off buying another unit. Just on principal I found the concept very silly. Why is it EVERY other DAC and amp on the market that uses op amps AND every other op amp maker can make extremely popular and equally awesome sounding op amps and dont charge $50 a chip?!?!

post #12444 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 

Dude its two 6 inch RCA cables if you stack the boxes on top of each other...

 

The MUSES edition contains a number of extremely overpriced op amps that run $50+ each. It also gives a gain swtich as well as a better volume pot that doesnt suffer from channel imbalance at lower volumes like the standard edition does. You can add them yourself at anytime and supposedly its an amazing upgrade but with an average of six bought to do the upgrade IMO youre better off buying another unit. Just on principal I found the concept very silly. Why is it EVERY other DAC and amp on the market that uses op amps AND every other op amp maker can make extremely popular and equally awesome sounding op amps and dont charge $50 a chip?!?!

Yeah, I fond the concept a bit silly as well. I might get the E1 as a DAC. 

 

If the Emotiva was as easy to get in Australia I would definitely get one, but nobody carries it in Australia. 

post #12445 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Yeah, I fond the concept a bit silly as well. I might get the E1 as a DAC. 

 

If the Emotiva was as easy to get in Australia I would definitely get one, but nobody carries it in Australia. 


As a DAC I think it was very nice. And of course once you have it you can play with the headphone amp out with your cans and see how you like it.

 

Oh yea, I have read that getting Emotiva gear outside of the US makes it very expensive and sometimes not worth the cost. That sucks. They should do something about that.

post #12446 of 18011

Shipping is like $100 or something and I have to either mod it or buy an adapter. I might as well get a used Lyr...

post #12447 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Shipping is like $100 or something and I have to either mod it or buy an adapter. I might as well get a used Lyr...


Yea for that price I would. Then get a Bifrost and you can have a great sounding setup and one that looks great too.

post #12448 of 18011

I might, but would a NFB-10 or NFB-28 sound better? 

 

Also, is there much difference going balanced? 

post #12449 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

I might, but would a NFB-10 or NFB-28 sound better? 

 

Also, is there much difference going balanced? 


Couldnt tell you about any of those things. Ive never heard any.

post #12450 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


Yea at best you get from ASUS the following: LINK

 

Headphone : 7 Vrms ( Vp-p)

 

Which if my math is correct: P = V^2 / R the following is true:

 

@ 35 ohm - 1400mW

@ 50 ohm - 950mW

@ 100 ohm - 490mW

@ 250 ohm - 196mW

@ 300 ohm - 163mW

@ 600 ohm - 82mW

 

Which is a lot for the lower impedance headphones, but Im telling you I was never impressed by that output and really just used my E1 as a DAC.

So why doesn't it drive the He-500s? They are 32(?) ohms right? I'm using an M-stage right now and it does pretty well. 

Not to sound like a killjoy, but you can't calculate it that way... 12 watts into 4 ohm, right? Can assure you it will never be able to deliver that, the sound will likely distort at a watt or so..

 

The output at 32 ohms without significant distortion could be anywhere from 300 mW to a watt I'd guess, but we can't possibly know without measuring.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .