or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 811

post #12151 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

I was still in Canada frown.gif  (Although it's been better recently)

Oh okay. I thought there was something I missed about the new HE models.
I was up in Bellingham today biggrin.gif
Though under the influence very much so and man there was this restaurant there that their waffles were the best I've ever had...maybe for a reason ;D

Anyways, yeah wtf. I come back and each thread I'm subscribed to has like 20 posts minimum. What's been going on on headfi?? I remember days when only like 3 posts were made in over 10 threads!!
post #12152 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidz View Post
 

 

Shortly after posting I picked up my dusty Senn 215 and plugged them into my Ipad, played the same song and it wasn't anywhere near as harsh as the treble on the He-500.  The He-500 seems to over emphasise 14Khz - 16khz causing my ears to bleed at times. 

I gave that track a quick listen myself(admittedly probably not the best quality I could find) and it may just be the mastering, it did feel a bit cringe worthy in the top end. I listened to some tracks with cymbals with no issues, but again, different setup on my end. That said I've never felt the HE-500 to have difficulties being too energetic in the high range.

post #12153 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

I'm gone for a week and there's over 500 posts. The hell were you guys talking about!?


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 12:25am
post #12154 of 18011
Hi. I'm new to the community but appreciate all the great information. I'm new to headphone audio as I recently purchased a pair of HD650s and the Schiit Asgard 2. For a DAC, I'm using an old Lexicon Alpha music interface I've used for recording in the past. I also use my Mac Mini as my transport.

I've recently come across about $600 and I'm torn between the Bifrost Uber and a new pair or phones. I'm interested in HE-500s because I'm curious about the sound of planar magnetics. I like the sound of the HD650s with the Asgard 2 but am wondering if I'm missing something.

I mostly listen to Apple Lossless with an emphasis on indie rock, pop.

I would welcome any suggestions as to where I should spend my hard earned $$.

Oh, yes, I also use a pair of custom 1964 Ears V6 in the mix but mostly get used when mobile.
post #12155 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidz View Post

 

One of the tracks that affects me is Bob Marley's Mix up Mix up.  The HiHat is ear piecing.  Does this affect others too?  If anybody with Jriver is reading this please try playing this track and use Jrivers Eq, drop down all the sliders, can you still hear the cymbal, a tinny ear piecing sound. 

The pre-amp should always be at zero.

 

I don't cringe over that track but the hi-hat isn't exactly pleasant, I wouldn't listen to that sound at high volumes at least.

post #12156 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabzaf View Post

Hi. I'm new to the community but appreciate all the great information. I'm new to headphone audio as I recently purchased a pair of HD650s and the Schiit Asgard 2. For a DAC, I'm using an old Lexicon Alpha music interface I've used for recording in the past. I also use my Mac Mini as my transport.

I've recently come across about $600 and I'm torn between the Bifrost Uber and a new pair or phones. I'm interested in HE-500s because I'm curious about the sound of planar magnetics. I like the sound of the HD650s with the Asgard 2 but am wondering if I'm missing something.

I mostly listen to Apple Lossless with an emphasis on indie rock, pop.

I would welcome any suggestions as to where I should spend my hard earned $$.

Oh, yes, I also use a pair of custom 1964 Ears V6 in the mix but mostly get used when mobile.

Depends on the, unknown to me, quality of your present dac. If it is decent, you are in a sweet spot and you could think twice before you spend more - you will clearly enter the diminishing returns area.

post #12157 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabzaf View Post

Hi. I'm new to the community but appreciate all the great information. I'm new to headphone audio as I recently purchased a pair of HD650s and the Schiit Asgard 2. For a DAC, I'm using an old Lexicon Alpha music interface I've used for recording in the past. I also use my Mac Mini as my transport.

I've recently come across about $600 and I'm torn between the Bifrost Uber and a new pair or phones. I'm interested in HE-500s because I'm curious about the sound of planar magnetics. I like the sound of the HD650s with the Asgard 2 but am wondering if I'm missing something.

I mostly listen to Apple Lossless with an emphasis on indie rock, pop.

I would welcome any suggestions as to where I should spend my hard earned $$.

Oh, yes, I also use a pair of custom 1964 Ears V6 in the mix but mostly get used when mobile.


We love to help others spend money. :smile:

 

Several ways you can go...

1. Buy a Bottlehead Crack amp to pair with your HD650s. With the right tubes, I believe it's considered "end-game" with that can.

 

2. Keep the Asgard and HD650 and upgrade your DAC. Perhaps add the Schiit uber Bifrost and stack your Asgard on top. Looks and sounds great.

 

3. Add the HE500s to what you have now and see how they pair with the Asgard. I have the HE500/Lyr combo and it's a terrific match, IMO.

 

4. Delete Head-Fi from your bookmarks and make life easier on your wallet. :wink_face:

 

 

Whichever way you go, good luck. :beerchug:

post #12158 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidz View Post

I'm not sure if it's my hearing but it seems that nowadays I can't enjoy the Hihats/Cymbals in some tracks as it makes such a Tszzz sound it's very fatiguing.  I can't remember always being affected by this, so i'm starting to wonder If either my headphones, amp or Dac are faulty, a bad combination, or my hearing has gone bad.  In quite a lot of tracks I'm listening to these days treble can be ear piecing, and this is quite a lot of tracks, especially high quality recordings.

I tried to Eq out the treble using Jriver's built in Eq,  dropping all sliders down to their lowest position, yet strange enough the Tszz piecing sound is still there, and still fatigues, even tho all sliders are at their rock bottom!  It's almost as if that one frequency is leaking through and can't be cancelled out.  

Treble on my He-500 seems very fuzzy and not as clear as I remember, it sounds almost like its low bitrate, whilst very high in pitch, whilst all the other frequencies below are clear.  

This is track dependant. 

One of the tracks that affects me is Bob Marley's Mix up Mix up.  The HiHat is ear piecing.  Does this affect others too?  If anybody with Jriver is reading this please try playing this track and use Jrivers Eq, drop down all the sliders, can you still hear the cymbal, a tinny ear piecing sound. 

Update : I just set the Pre Amp section of Jrivers Eq down to zero and dropped the 16khz down to zero, everything else flat, I boosted the volume on my Emotiva Mini amp to compensate for the volume loss and the ear piecing hi hat is no longer an headache. The Hi Hat sound of Bob Marley's Mix up has lowered to be in line with the rest of the track. 


I'm really confused now, as I use Jriver to send Bit perfect audio (disabled volume in Jriver) with all all dsp turned off  to my Dac.  If I have to use the eq in Jriver just to make the sound less piecing surely something is wrong? 

Maybe u should try a quality but affordable (as u use a emotiva i am guessing ur budget is not to high) headphone tube amp..like a lyr or 337/339? As those have for sure no piercing treble..thats something only the lower end of budget SS amps have...and for sure u dont need any messing about with ur jriver thingies anymore (especially with the 337!)...just put everything on standard and hit the powerbutton, plug in ur headphone, adjust ur volume..kaboom..wonderful music...well.at least NO earpiercing treble..no matter what tubes u use. biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 2/16/14 at 7:51am
post #12159 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post
 

Depends on the, unknown to me, quality of your present dac. If it is decent, you are in a sweet spot and you could think twice before you spend more - you will clearly enter the diminishing returns area.

Thanks. Regarding the DAC, I don't have anything to compare it to, besides the onboard in my Mac, which is no good. I've heard good things about the Bifrost and I am assuming it has got to be an upgrade over what I'm using since an external DAC was not its primary purpose.

 

Just looking for the biggest bang for my buck!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
 


We love to help others spend money. :smile:

 

Several ways you can go...

1. Buy a Bottlehead Crack amp to pair with your HD650s. With the right tubes, I believe it's considered "end-game" with that can.

 

2. Keep the Asgard and HD650 and upgrade your DAC. Perhaps add the Schiit uber Bifrost and stack your Asgard on top. Looks and sounds great.

 

3. Add the HE500s to what you have now and see how they pair with the Asgard. I have the HE500/Lyr combo and it's a terrific match, IMO.

 

4. Delete Head-Fi from your bookmarks and make life easier on your wallet. :wink_face:

 

 

Whichever way you go, good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure that I have the intestinal fortitude to assemble the Crack. I can already see myself blowing up my metro Detroit house! I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate it.

 

Isn't it fun spending other people's money? That should have been my area of study in college. Oh wait, I have a Finance degree. I suppose I did then! :wink_face:

post #12160 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


We love to help others spend money. smile.gif

Several ways you can go...
1. Buy a Bottlehead Crack amp to pair with your HD650s. With the right tubes, I believe it's considered "end-game" with that can.

2. Keep the Asgard and HD650 and upgrade your DAC. Perhaps add the Schiit uber Bifrost and stack your Asgard on top. Looks and sounds great.

3. Add the HE500s to what you have now and see how they pair with the Asgard. I have the HE500/Lyr combo and it's a terrific match, IMO.

4. Delete Head-Fi from your bookmarks and make life easier on your wallet. wink_face.gif


Whichever way you go, good luck. beerchug.gif
1. About what pairs best with the hd650.. Well..try the 339/337.. It was best pair i ever heard..if i didnt had a he500 with my 337 i for sure would buy a hd650 to go with that amp..its best pairing for the money u can find....PERIOD! .hd650-337/339 =audio bliss and affordable!
I found a review in which the reviewer said that the crack was a bit faster sounding but that he would choose the 339 over the crack anytime... And i know there is at least one other headfi'er (fearless1) who totally agrees that the 337 and hd650 is a pair that is hard to be beat in that price range and i agree!

3. Or go with the he500 with lyr or 337/339 also a pair (which i owned)who can make u smile big time while listening...

Or number 4. I tried that myself..wont work.. biggrin.gif
post #12161 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


1. About what pairs best with the hd650.. Well..try the 339/337.. It was best pair i ever heard..if i didnt had a he500 with my 337 i for sure would buy a hd650 to go with that amp..its best pairing for the money u can find....PERIOD! .hd650-337/339 =audio bliss and affordable!
I found a review in which the reviewer said that the crack was a bit faster sounding but that he would choose the 339 over the crack anytime... And i know there is at least one other headfi'er (fearless1) who totally agrees that the 337 and hd650 is a pair that is hard to be beat in that price range and i agree!

3. Or go with the he500 with lyr or 337/339 also a pair (which i owned)who can make u smile big time while listening...

Or number 4. I tried that myself..wont work.. biggrin.gif

You keep diving into his wallet you're gonna scare him into option #4. PERIOD!

post #12162 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

You keep diving into his wallet you're gonna scare him into option #4. PERIOD!
i dont think so..he just have to man up, like we all did biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 2/16/14 at 8:54am
post #12163 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabzaf View Post

Hi. I'm new to the community but appreciate all the great information. I'm new to headphone audio as I recently purchased a pair of HD650s and the Schiit Asgard 2. For a DAC, I'm using an old Lexicon Alpha music interface I've used for recording in the past. I also use my Mac Mini as my transport.

I've recently come across about $600 and I'm torn between the Bifrost Uber and a new pair or phones. I'm interested in HE-500s because I'm curious about the sound of planar magnetics. I like the sound of the HD650s with the Asgard 2 but am wondering if I'm missing something.

I mostly listen to Apple Lossless with an emphasis on indie rock, pop.

I would welcome any suggestions as to where I should spend my hard earned $$.

Oh, yes, I also use a pair of custom 1964 Ears V6 in the mix but mostly get used when mobile.

 

I'd always upgrade to the best transducer I could afford, but the HD650 seems to scale very nicely with better gear (also depends how on how much you really like the HD650?) so I'd think you get more your money's worth by upgrading to a Schiit Bifrost. From there on you could eventually decide to add the HE-500 and run it with the Asgard 2 or stick with the HD650 and get the Bottlehead Crack, but then at least you already have a decent source to do the amp + HP justice.

post #12164 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post
 

 

I'd always upgrade to the best transducer I could afford, but the HD650 seems to scale very nicely with better gear (also depends how on how much you really like the HD650?) so I'd think you get more your money's worth by upgrading to a Schiit Bifrost. From there on you could eventually decide to add the HE-500 and run it with the Asgard 2 or stick with the HD650 and get the Bottlehead Crack, but then at least you already have a decent source to do the amp + HP justice.

From my experience and no doubt countless others, the transducer (headphone/earphone/speakers) makes by far the biggest impact on sound, following that is the amplifier, and then the DAC in the third place. 

 

If one already has a competent DAC and amp, then the biggest bang for the buck is spending on the transducer.

 

That is not to say he should get an HE500; there is some debate whether or not it is an upgrade on all fronts to HD650.


Edited by jerg - 2/16/14 at 9:21am
post #12165 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post


Mostly dank redface.gif  
Truth! smily_headphones1.gif
And as for the guy and the hd650, IMO the upgrade to he500 will benefit for rock music.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .