Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 784

post #11746 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I will, I promise you. Currently I'm entertaining the thought of getting a fully loaded Bifrost. That means unless I find a compelling reason not to, I'm pulling the trigger in around a week or so.

Schiit, I could have it here on Monday, if I hit the button at Amazon. I must resist...I must resist...I must resist

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

"I will, I promise you." Just want to get that down for posterity ;)  Seriously though, not pushing it (NB: I've yet to start a thread for this "mod" or even post pictures, just fielded the occasional question and PM).  And of course I can't promise you'll love the sound.  I can promise you'll prefer the comfort over either stock pad.  While I'd love to try the Lawton pads, $100 is... well, 3x what I paid for the AKGs.  Annnnnnnnnnnd cue the pads version of the above cost vs. performance debate ;)

 

The Bifrost is a bute.  Why not get it fully tricked out from Schiit and spring for FedEx 2-Day?  Except for shipping, the price is the same.  I'm glad I did.  OK, now that was mean :D  Are you getting USB?  Are you getting the Uber Analog upgrade?  What about cables.  PYST?  I got them because they're the least expensive really short interconnects I could find.  One was defective, and Schiit shipped a replacement pair pronto (I did provide a lot of test results isolating the cable).  Of course, I unscrewed both ends, saw what I figured was the dodgy end, and used my half-ass soldering skills to make it work.  So far so good.  And yes, I definitely hear a difference between the PYST cables and the generic consumer (came with CD or DVD player) red & white interconnects.

 

Enjoy that Schiit, whatever version you get.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

PIH!  Just checked Amazon and see the Uber Bifrost is Prime!  Bugger bugger bugger #%$! #%$! #%$!

When I said, "Fully Loaded" I meant fully tricked out, Uber and USB. Yep, Amazon Prime, temptation, temptation. Order today and it lands at my door on Monday. Must resist, must resist, must resist.

Your generic RCA audio cables must have been made with bakery string to be a weak link.

I don't find the stock HE-500 pads uncomfortable, but the extra clearance (depth) of the Q701 pads sounded (not audio) good to me. Being open backs we don't have ear breathing issues which is not fun if you listen for long periods as I do.

post #11747 of 16151

^ your attempt to resist the urge is just futile. :p  Just get the agony over with.  You'll be much happier.

post #11748 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

^ your attempt to resist the urge is just futile. :p  Just get the agony over with.  You'll be much happier.

 

+2

one for the Bifrost, one for the pads ;)

post #11749 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

^ your attempt to resist the urge is just futile. :p  Just get the agony over with.  You'll be much happier.

I got my bonus coming on the 15th, but my plastic doesn't give a damn. I just emailed a question to Schiit, and from past experience they respond with lightspeed.

post #11750 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

+2

one for the Bifrost, one for the pads ;)

My knees are giving out and my finger is hovering over the Amazon buttton.....

I see you're hovering over the Jergpad thread.

post #11751 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

My knees are giving out and my finger is hovering over the Amazon buttton.....

I see you're hovering over the Jergpad thread.

 

Was just wondering if the back vent mod on the HE-500s was as... detrimental as with the HE-400s.  I've got my JergulorX pads, but they're just a backup at this point.

post #11752 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

 

 

When I said, "Fully Loaded" I meant fully tricked out, Uber and USB. Yep, Amazon Prime, temptation, temptation. Order today and it lands at my door on Monday. Must resist, must resist, must resist.

Your generic RCA audio cables must have been made with bakery string to be a weak link.

I don't find the stock HE-500 pads uncomfortable, but the extra clearance (depth) of the Q701 pads sounded (not audio) good to me. Being open backs we don't have ear breathing issues which is not fun if you listen for long periods as I do.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 1:12am
post #11753 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post


Not the biggest bifrost or modi fan. I think it makes the he-500 too bright. My used keces, tranqulity, and now I see concero's are much, much more preferable. M-13's deal is a good one imo. Very surprised he's moving on. Gungnir is awesome but you need to run it balanced for optimal performance.

 

Funny, I don't get the over bright sound with mine.  I read plenty of comments that the Bifrost can be cold, analytical, even bright.  I suspect it's the Q701 pads, though maybe they various mods and cables come into play (that's right, StanD, I said cables ;-).  Maybe that brightness is a good thing for my particular rig, as the sound is just how I like it, esp. compared to the other cans listed in my sig.  Synergy synergy synergy.  Oh how we pay (and pay and pay) to find that synergy.

post #11754 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Funny, I don't get the over bright sound with mine.  I read plenty of comments that the Bifrost can be cold, analytical, even bright.  I suspect it's the Q701 pads, though maybe they various mods and cables come into play (that's right, StanD, I said cables ;-).  Maybe that brightness is a good thing for my particular rig, as the sound is just how I like it, esp. compared to the other cans listed in my sig.  Synergy synergy synergy.  Oh how we pay (and pay and pay) to find that synergy.

I pulled the trigger and Amazon fumbled. :mad:

It was supposed to be delivered on Monday but shows up as Tuesday when I'm not home. I called them and they said that there's a problem with the website. I asked if that was Amazon or healthcare.gov? I canceled the order and will redo when I can get it when I'm home. The Amazon rep gave me a $30 credit on my next order. I guess that means a discount on my Bifrost.

post #11755 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I pulled the trigger and Amazon fumbled. :mad:

It was supposed to be delivered on Monday but shows up as Tuesday when I'm not home. I called them and they said that there's a problem with the website. I asked if that was Amazon or healthcare.gov? I canceled the order and will redo when I can get it when I'm home. The Amazon rep gave me a $30 credit on my next order. I guess that means a discount on my Bifrost.

 

Damn, but, well done.  Amazon.gov is good at bending over backwards for their customers.  Just hope they don't have to go to HealthCare.com when their back gives out ;)

Your patience will be rewarded.  That's like free PYST cables + $10.  Just sayin' :D

post #11756 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Damn, but, well done.  Amazon.gov is good at bending over backwards for their customers.  Just hope they don't have to go to HealthCare.com when their back gives out ;)

Your patience will be rewarded.  That's like free PYST cables + $10.  Just sayin' :D

I'm not good with delayed gratification, probably a disease the permeates the audio crowd. Probably not covered by the Unaffordable Healthcare Act as the only treatment permitted without preapproval is euthanasia.

post #11757 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I'm not good with delayed gratification, probably a disease the permeates the audio crowd. Probably not covered by the Unaffordable Healthcare Act as the only treatment permitted without preapproval is euthanasia.

 

LOL.

 

You know, $30 just about covers the Q701 pads.  I swear I'm not :veryevil:  Just saying, those pads on my HE-500s is the whim that roared.

post #11758 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I'm not good with delayed gratification, probably a disease the permeates the audio crowd. Probably not covered by the Unaffordable Healthcare Act as the only treatment permitted without preapproval is euthanasia.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

LOL.

 

You know, $30 just about covers the Q701 pads.  I swear I'm not :veryevil:  Just saying, those pads on my HE-500s is the whim that roared.

So you're say'in that Amazon is give'in me a message?

I want my damn DAC, NOW. :veryevil:

post #11759 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

 

So you're say'in that Amazon is give'in me a message?

I want my damn DAC, NOW. :veryevil:

 

To paraphrase the inestimable Assistant Secretary of State:  F--- Amazon.

 

I think your wife needs to give you a reality check.  Never gonna get it here ;)

post #11760 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

 

 

So you're say'in that Amazon is give'in me a message?

I want my damn DAC, NOW. :veryevil:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

To paraphrase the inestimable Assistant Secretary of State:  F--- Amazon.

 

I think your wife needs to give you a reality check.  Never gonna get it here ;)

She doesn't give me checks, she takes my cheques.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .