or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 765

post #11461 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

To HE-500? Can't tell.. But I think not, as its treble/mids balance is off.

 

The 5LE treble  / mids balance is off?  More like more nutral than what you may be used to with the 500s.  The 500s are the one that has off treble and a slight mid range hump.

post #11462 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Look what arrived today :o

 

 

A gracious gift from Dr. Fang. What a guy! I don't think I will need to upgrade anything for a while to come.

 

Cool beans.   Sounds good with the HE-6 as well.

post #11463 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

 
To HE-500? Can't tell.. But I think not, as its treble/mids balance is off.

The 5LE treble  / mids balance is off?  More like more nutral than what you may be used to with the 500s.  The 500s are the one that has off treble and a slight mid range hump.
I don't think the he-5le has neutral sounding vocals at all, can't say for sure with the upper treble, but percussion instruments can sound off in some cases as well. My findings so far..
Edited by davidsh - 1/28/14 at 6:42am
post #11464 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I don't think the he-5le has neutral sounding vocals at all, can't say for sure with the upper treble, but percussion instruments can sound off in some cases as well. My findings so far..
I have to agree with prepoman in this a bit..i now have a code-x (modded he5) and now its getting burned in the music sounds more open..tracks originally recorded in studios sound exactly like that..recorded. In studio...live concerts sound huge and aggressive (after forever concerts).. But as i also come from a he500..i had to get customed to the more forward sounding treble...or is it that the he500 sounds to laidback in the treble? I like this soundsignature more..i can actually hear more details in music now..and that is on a cheapish beyer amp which is for sure to weak to drive a he5 (and i understand that because of the modding to damping etc the codex is even harder to drive then a regular he5...
My point: i think that when u get the right amp the he5le/he5 will sound more with more detail (like stax..but less) and more in ya face then the more laidback he500... I like both..but am starting to get the feeling for this code-x and appreciate the differece inprice..the he5le also very needs LONG burn-in time..under 100hours the he5le is harsh and offsounding i read in a review in which a reviewer was comparing the he5le with the hd800... But give it time and the treble gets less fiery and more neutral.. And the he5le needs a good amp..just like its bigger brother the he6.. The he500 is easier to match with an amp..soundwise..all IMHO ofcourse! Its a pity u would sell ur he5LE for the wrong reasons..
But its proven thatbthe he500 is the more laidback of the the two and better for modern music..but for classical music the he5le superseeds the he500 in every way i read.
post #11465 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I have to agree with prepoman in this a bit..i now have a code-x (modded he5) and now its getting burned in the music sounds more open..tracks originally recorded in studios sound exactly like that..recorded. In studio...live concerts sound huge and aggressive (after forever concerts).. But as i also come from a he500..i had to get customed to the more forward sounding treble...or is it that the he500 sounds to laidback in the treble? I like this soundsignature more..i can actually hear more details in music now..and that is on a cheapish beyer amp which is for sure to weak to drive a he5 (and i understand that because of the modding to damping etc the codex is even harder to drive then a regular he5...
My point: i think that when u get the right amp the he5le/he5 will sound more with more detail (like stax..but less) and more in ya face then the more laidback he500... I like both..but am starting to get the feeling for this code-x and appreciate the differece inprice..the he5le also very needs LONG burn-in time..under 100hours the he5le is harsh and offsounding i read in a review in which a reviewer was comparing the he5le with the hd800... But give it time and the treble gets less fiery and more neutral.. And the he5le needs a good amp..just like its bigger brother the he6.. The he500 is easier to match with an amp..soundwise..all IMHO ofcourse! Its a pity u would sell ur he5LE for the wrong reasons..
But its proven thatbthe he500 is the more laidback of the the two and better for modern music..but for classical music the he5le superseeds the he500 in every way i read.

The He 500 are certainly more laid back than anything I've ever tried; mainly due to the dip at mid treble (at around 5-6k), however they aren't dark sounding due to their peak at 10k. Looking at the charts I can see why the He-5le's don't lack aggressiveness and detail; from the graphs you can see the He-5le's have a more caved in mid range (at 2k) and more accentuated mid treble (4-6k). The incline may cause vocals to sound more clear and upfront; 5k has the quality of bringing everything more forward (the He-500's on the hand recesses these frequencies a quite a bit more than the He-5le's). The more detail you may be hearing in the He-5le's are due to the hump at 7k (the He-500 recesses the 7-10k just a bit more, but still has sparkling treble qualities). The He-500's are pretty easy to figure out (unlike my Fostex T50rp's- the mids on this thing are a complete enigma, but are absolutely wonderful), the're just lazy headphones (best way I can describe them). But from my guess, they're actually more neutral sounding than the He-5le's. 

 

Edit: graphs are in next post 


Edited by headphonatic - 1/28/14 at 8:55am
post #11466 of 18030

^You are on the right track ;)

 

If I am not mistaken (which I might be) it seems to me that the 5le has some kind of resonance in the treble, sometimes rendering cymbals and the like slightly unnatural.


Edited by davidsh - 1/28/14 at 8:55am
post #11467 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

 

If I am not mistaken (which I might be) it seems to me that the 5le has some kind of resonance in the treble, sometimes rendering cymbals and the like slightly unnatural.

Tyll at innerfedelity calls it tizzy sounding, most likely due to an overall increase in treble energy compared to the He-500's. I don't really believe what most people say about the He series anymore; supposedly He-6 is master class, He-5le is pretty good too, the He-5's are the black sheep, the He-4 the pure, angellic version of the He-500, and the He-500's? Well they're kind of heavy.

post #11468 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

Tyll at innerfedelity calls it tizzy sounding, most likely due to an overall increase in treble energy compared to the He-500's. I don't really believe what most people say about the He series anymore; supposedly He-6 is master class, He-5le is pretty good too, the He-5's are the black sheep, the He-4 the pure, angellic version of the He-500, and the He-500's? Well they're kind of heavy.
Well i can attest on personal experience now (i now own a modded he5, the code-x) that the he5 cant be the black sheep of the he family.. It sounds really good..totally different then the he500 i had..clearer and more detail and somewhat brighter..so i can imagine people having a bright SS amp with silver cables in between it will be to much..and that in that case the he500 would be the better choice being more laid back in its soundsignature... But it all depends on ur personal preference and ur rig..and seeing many of u have a emotiva or any other kind of ss based amp i can guess the he500 is their best bet to go..but seriously having owned almost all he versions until now (except the he4 and he6) i can attest that the he400 is THE black sheep in the family if u look at the sound quality...those phones i totally hated! Sold them just after they were burned in...to much of any of the extreme frequency ends..i understand mr. Fang did that on purpose to make it more attractive to US based buyers as those like more treble and more bass...well..he sold heaps of that phone... But for me..(thats why owners equalize the sound) NAH..until now the he500 was the one to go for..especially with all the mods i had on him..sounded balanced on my also very good sounding modded 337.. And i jumped on the code-x wagon only because of the good reputation luis has with his paradox phones..i thought: if he can make the mediocre fostex sound like a very good sounding phone i was curious what he could come up with a phone who was already made with an audiophile in mind..and now i know wink.gif but they are heavy!! Heavier then the he500 for sure..must be the wood or the huge pads..but this phone wont leave me soon! That i already know for sure..and now waiting for its perfect mate to arrive..and then..kaboom! biggrin.gif

But am really curious what will be mr. Fangs next step..what headphone will be his long rumored TOTL phone? I cant imagine he will let audeze walk away with the crown on phones until 2000usd with their new lcd-x... Come on mr. Fang..we are counting on u!!! If u need a tester/ reviewer ..i will have the rig to put them to the test..so u know where to find me wink.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/28/14 at 9:25am
post #11469 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post


I don't think the he-5le has neutral sounding vocals at all, can't say for sure with the upper treble, but percussion instruments can sound off in some cases as well. My findings so far..

 

I'm not sure what amp you're using.  "it's the amp thing again"  However, the 5LE's much like the HE-6 really needs a good amp and not the a-100 ha ha,,  that would indeed make them very hot up top.  

post #11470 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I'm not sure what amp you're using.  "it's the amp thing again"  However, the 5LE's much like the HE-6 really needs a good amp and not the a-100 ha ha,,  that would indeed make them very hot up top.  
Yep..i read that too.. Its very amp dependent..more then the he500 or he400 as i said in my earlier post....especially the quality of the amp..not just the watts it pumps..most cheapish ss amps have a bright signature... But i have to find that out myself when i have my new amp in my greedy fingers..
But if we go into 'which amp to drive what', then we are getting into a very very deep can of worms i am afraid biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/28/14 at 9:38am
post #11471 of 18030

Does anyone know how the La Figaro 339 pairs with the HE-500 compared to the Emotiva? Is the 339 even enough to power the HE-500? I realize that there very well may have been a comparison on this thread but I don't really have the patience to go through the 766 pages that is this thread.

post #11472 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post

Does anyone know how the La Figaro 339 pairs with the HE-500 compared to the Emotiva? Is the 339 even enough to power the HE-500? I realize that there very well may have been a comparison on this thread but I don't really have the patience to go through the 766 pages that is this thread.
YES I KNOW! U wont regret buying one for ur he500.. Thats a promise i can make u tongue.gif
I had its sibling, the 337, and it drove him to the extremes..check the 337 thread and u will find ur answer on ur question on the last 3 pages... I prefered the 337 with he500 over many MORe expensive amps.. U will love it. But u have to invest in some tuberolling...TS5998 or bendix 6080wb with graphite plates paired with rca 5693(red hots) or TS 6sj7gt mesh plates will do the trick to make it an excellent mate for ur he500!
U wont regret it..
Just check the 337 thread..and especially the last 3-4 pages tongue.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/219504/darkvoice-337-a-review/855
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/28/14 at 10:17am
post #11473 of 18030
Amping won't fundamentally change the signature of the he-5le. I doubt that. Sibilance and hot treble is no problem for me when using my x-can as pre-amp.
But I would prefer not to discuss it further. All I can say is the sound is slightly off to me as it is now. Blame my rig or my hearing, don't care as it won't really change anything for me..
post #11474 of 18030

The He-500 is a headphone without faults, better yet, it does everything well and somethings amazingly. But its lack of aggressiveness can make you forget that you're listening to music. I sometimes find myself wondering why my neck hurts and then I remember I had my He-500's on. I find myself skipping through entire songs unaware of its presence.

post #11475 of 18030

Ha - people get so hasty around here  

 

'I would prefer not to discuss it further",  " blame my this or that I don't care"  Yeah right - what are you here for?  To talk about headphone audio, Try talking about something your not so defensive about then..  

 

The problem is - you are not aware "what the signature is" on an inferior amp.  I well aware of the signature of a well driven HE-5LE compared to the 500s.  However, it's all IMO anyway....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .