or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 77

post #1141 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post

. The design is flawed and I don't believe it can be fixed unless they ditch the connector. Simply this is not a headphone which you can yank all you want like those from the big manufacturers.



Out of interest, do they actually know about the problem?

post #1142 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post



Out of interest, do they actually know about the problem?



I'd imagine they know since their **** breaks every 2 seconds and they probably get a million emails about it.

post #1143 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post

 When the cable is tugged, all the forces are on the electrical connection/soldering, with no means of strain relief. The design is flawed and I don't believe it can be fixed unless they ditch the connector. Simply this is not a headphone which you can yank all you want like those from the big manufacturers.


The Hifiman SMC-type connectors were designed to be connected to a coaxial cable.  Not surprised about the flaw.


Edited by Peshmerga - 4/11/12 at 1:53pm
post #1144 of 18011

They look terrible too, diminishing the aesthetic appeal of the headphone, imho.

post #1145 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshmerga View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post

 When the cable is tugged, all the forces are on the electrical connection/soldering, with no means of strain relief. The design is flawed and I don't believe it can be fixed unless they ditch the connector. Simply this is not a headphone which you can yank all you want like those from the big manufacturers.


The Hifiman SMC-type connectors were designed to be connected to a coaxial cable.  Not surprised about the flaw.


Perhaps they would work well with Piccolino then wink.gif
post #1146 of 18011

I've been trying to save money for this but I'm not sure if I should go in small steps or just take a huge leap.

struggling deciding between saving a bit by buying a HD650 then coming back to the HE-500

post #1147 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDappleman View Post

I've been trying to save money for this but I'm not sure if I should go in small steps or just take a huge leap.

struggling deciding between saving a bit by buying a HD650 then coming back to the HE-500



Alternatively,buy a HE400 first and see if you like the HiFiMAN planar magnetic sound, save yourself some more money due to it being cheaper than HD650 (and arguably better).

post #1148 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshmerga 

The Hifiman SMC-type connectors were designed to be connected to a coaxial cable.  Not surprised about the flaw.


Exactly, they weren't meant for frequent handling or even mildly rugged use.
post #1149 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDappleman View Post

I've been trying to save money for this but I'm not sure if I should go in small steps or just take a huge leap.

struggling deciding between saving a bit by buying a HD650 then coming back to the HE-500



Both of those headphones have different sound signatures.  I just got the he-500 a week ago.  When I first started listening to it, I had a hard time adjusting to the different sound signature.  At first I didnt like it, but over the days I started to become fond of it.  IMO you cant go wrong getting either headphone.  IMO They are the best headphones in their respective price ranges and I would be happy with either one.  I wouldnt get the 650 though If you know no matter what you will eventually get the he500.  Just go for what you really want and be done

post #1150 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post



Alternatively,buy a HE400 first and see if you like the HiFiMAN planar magnetic sound, save yourself some more money due to it being cheaper than HD650 (and arguably better).



Now, I won't argue with you too much because my HE-500 isn't even here yet and I haven't heard any HiFiMan products, but since I did just purchase HE-500's I've been doing a lot of homework on reading reviews etc.  It sounds like the HE-400 has a much different sound than the HE-500. The HE-400 is more bass-heavy and made for "average" listeners where the HE-500 is more for an "audiophile experience" that is more neutral.

 

Am I way off base?

post #1151 of 18011

Nope you're not off base!

post #1152 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahm519 View Post



Now, I won't argue with you too much because my HE-500 isn't even here yet and I haven't heard any HiFiMan products, but since I did just purchase HE-500's I've been doing a lot of homework on reading reviews etc.  It sounds like the HE-400 has a much different sound than the HE-500. The HE-400 is more bass-heavy and made for "average" listeners where the HE-500 is more for an "audiophile experience" that is more neutral.

 

Am I way off base?



On the mark. However the only differences are that the 400's have a bit more bass quantity, while the 500's have a bit more extension, smoother mids, and treble emphasis (relative, due to the lowered bass quantity). One thing for certain though, The HE400's still retain the hifiman house sound (not-rolled-off bass, realistic mids and treble, great imaging and layering) not to mention physical look and weight and comfort level, would give AppleDappleman a much better idea of whether HE500's would be a good idea for him or not.


Edited by jerg - 4/12/12 at 9:42pm
post #1153 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post



On the mark. However the only differences are that the 400's have a bit more bass quantity, while the 500's have a bit more extension, smoother mids, and treble emphasis (relative, due to the lowered bass quantity). One thing for certain though, The HE400's still retain the hifiman house sound (not-rolled-off bass, realistic mids and treble, great imaging and layering) not to mention physical look and weight and comfort level, would give AppleDappleman a much better idea of whether HE500's would be a good idea for him or not.



I see.  I guess that does make sense. 

post #1154 of 18011

Does anyone have a recomendation for the most durable cable for the HE500?

 

Im using the stock silver cable right now, but on the right side, where the silver wire meets the black rubber of the connector, I have to keep pushing on it/fiddling with it so get the signal. 

post #1155 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336 View Post

Does anyone have a recomendation for the most durable cable for the HE500?

 

Im using the stock silver cable right now, but on the right side, where the silver wire meets the black rubber of the connector, I have to keep pushing on it/fiddling with it so get the signal. 



That happened to me.  They sent me a new one no questions asked.  I also picked up a Q cable.  It's not amazingly sturdy but I have little doubt that it will actually break since they use heatshrink on the connectors to reinforce them like a man with a real brain would do.  The only downside is that it's expensive.  The DIY route seems like it would work just fine though if you can do that.  Otherwise it seems like it's above 100 bucks for a cable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .