Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 759

post #11371 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

On second thought, I'm totally cool with giving it away, and paying the shipping cost, as long as the recipient does the same and passes it on to someone else with the same rules, and so forth. That way we get to all experience this Lepai and bring about much entertainment and amusement for all of us on here. Just imagine hifimanrookie forced to do a review between the Lepai and Blue Circle for the Code-X and trying to describe how the the Blue Circle is 250x times better to justify the price, or StanD explaining how the bass and treble boost on the Lepai is blasphemous from an objectivist standpoint. Or koiloco who will probably get rare opamps and other parts costing many times more than the Lepai itself to improve the Lepai, and realize that the Lepai is now on par with the WA22 for the HE-500. But of course it would still pale in comparison to the Emotiva. Of course nothing will top Nimzerz's video review when he shows us that plugging his HE-500 into a potato battery sounds better than the Lepai. :D

I will borrow 4 of Dr. MLK's words to response to the bold sentences   " .... I have a dream...."   :p

post #11372 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Not even a headphone stand? I need a nice one for my code-x..and because of all the purchases the last months i am deadbroke..so help this poor guy out biggrin.gif

alright alright, I will offer free babysitting service for your BC amp and code-x when you are away on vacation.

I will promise to keep them safe, touch them, clean them, listen to them daily just like they are my own.  You can't find a better friend than me when it comes to this matter.  ;)

post #11373 of 18158
I know what it is. The horrible sound of the Lepai must be damaging our hearing. This way we won't know the difference of the Lepai vs emotiva. That's the only logical explanation.
post #11374 of 18158

The little Lepai is really not bad for the price.  In the context of driving HE500, the Lepai can't compete with bigger, more expensive amps starting with the Emotiva but I don't expect it to.

Honestly, I am actually amazed that the manufacturing cost could be that low for the Lepai while offering decent power and performance.  

 

Don't hate Nimzerz!  You still have much ahead of you to experience.  Hating will limit your horizon.

post #11375 of 18158
Lol I know. I just think that the recommendation of it because it is CLOSE to the emotiva is ridiculous. Plus, no one wants something so unreliable. There are countless reports of it failing within a month of use.
post #11376 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

alright alright, I will offer free babysitting service for your BC amp and code-x when you are away on vacation.
I will promise to keep them safe, touch them, clean them, listen to them daily just like they are my own.  You can't find a better friend than me when it comes to this matter.  wink.gif
I will think about it and secretly put cams everywhere with livefeed to my phone so i can check if u really do what u just promised biggrin.gif
But ofcourse i know ur completely trustworthy with my beloved toxicated blue circle powered code-x wink.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/25/14 at 3:52pm
post #11377 of 18158

Just picked up a Marantz PM6004 to go along with my Marantz CD5004. It replaced the Emotiva Mini-X for use with LCD-3. Running it with no tone controls (i.e. source direct or native mode). Don't want to jump the gun yet, but this s**** all over the Emotiva. No more awful treble. Mids are great, almost tube like but with solid state pace. The bass is much tighter than Emotiva. I can turn it up without hurting my ears. No ground floor noise at all until 11 o clock. Luckily, I don't have to go past 9 / 9:30.

 

Having much more fun with this than I did with the Emotiva and LCD-3 pairing. Although the LCD-2 was dope on it. HE-500 was aite. The LCD-3 on this combo sounds more fun than BHA-1 and BDA-2 combo. It's only losing out on the details and maybe transparency, but it's way too early to tell. I was about to Mjolnir it, but so glad I didn't. If it's even more aggressive than BHA-1, no thanks.

 

Best part about this -> I can listen to electronic music again. :D

post #11378 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Just picked up a Marantz PM6004 to go along with my Marantz CD5004. It replaced the Emotiva Mini-X for use with LCD-3. Running it with no tone controls (i.e. source direct or native mode). Don't want to jump the gun yet, but this s**** all over the Emotiva. No more awful treble. Mids are great, almost tube like but with solid state pace. The bass is much tighter than Emotiva. I can turn it up without hurting my ears. No ground floor noise at all until 11 o clock. Luckily, I don't have to go past 9 / 9:30.

 

Having much more fun with this than I did with the Emotiva and LCD-3 pairing. Although the LCD-2 was dope on it. HE-500 was aite. The LCD-3 on this combo sounds more fun than BHA-1 and BDA-2 combo. It's only losing out on the details and maybe transparency, but it's way too early to tell. I was about to Mjolnir it, but so glad I didn't. If it's even more aggressive than BHA-1, no thanks.

 

Best part about this -> I can listen to electronic music again. :D


Did you try using inline resistors for some attenuation in the mini-X to cut out the noise?

post #11379 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


Did you try using inline resistors for some attenuation in the mini-X to cut out the noise?

 

Nope. Ran HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3 directly off taps with no resistors. Running LCD-3 as well with no resistors with PM6004.

 

Emotiva with:

 

HE-500 - no hiss. Absolutely dead silent

LCD-2 - some noise floor noticeable when music not playing, but didn't bother with music playing

LCD-3 - Very, very, very faint hum - although if heating turns on or something, I can't tell it. Especially not with the music playing.

 

It didn't matter what I did with the volume knob. It stayed constant regardless.

 

With PM6004, it's a bit different with LCD-3. With no music playing and LCD-3 connected, it's dead silent until 11 and then BAM it's noticeable. I can't go higher than 9:30 on the PM6004, it gets too loud. Still enough control. So at that level, no hiss whatsoever. Now with music playing at 11 AM, would the hum be noticeable? I don't think I will ever know with the LCD-3 as there is no way I'm turning it that high. So it really worked out for me. Even resolved that tiny hum on the Emotiva for me.

post #11380 of 18158

All the amps and CDP:

 

 

 

With the LCD-3 on top, this gets high!

 

 

 

Much better :D

 

post #11381 of 18158

dont wanna sound like a broken record...but...my 337 that i had was DEADSILENT with EVERY phone that was connected to it! and that was a full tube amp...so they tend to be a bit more noisy then a good built SS amp... i dont accept that an amp that i have is noisy in any way no matter the volume..that means somebody cut corners somewhere in the design in my book!.and i dont accept that.no matter the price, amount of followers or (good) reputation... i would only consider an amp thats silent with all headphones...so i guess the emotiva is not it for me no matter how good it would be with a he500, as i dont know what i will use in my study yet...if i decide to get the new lcd-x or the new 560i then the amount of watts of the emotiva is overkill anyway (they are much easier to drive then its older siblings) and hearing about the hassle of recabling/making adapters/danger of wrongfully connecting the cables etc. makes me walk away of the emotiva... to be honest dont know yet what to get..so as soon i have budget again i will do some googling again.maybe i will get the 'standard' headphone amp from BC..its somewhat affordable at around 1200usd...we have to see then...oops its 3:50 am now...time to go to bed...see ya 2morrow guys... :wink: 

 

@Zoom25 : nice pics!


Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/25/14 at 6:51pm
post #11382 of 18158

@jerg I know you were asking for some bass tracks before... the two that blow me away every time are both by XXYYXX: Alone and Good Enough

 

Another that will literally shake your head from the sub-bass is Overdone by XXYYXX


Edited by Nimzerz - 1/25/14 at 7:27pm
post #11383 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post


What if i just prefer the hd600's to the hd650's and the he500's. Got these things yesterday, def not to my taste. I don't think i'd enjoy half the music i love if i'd heard it on these first

That new nick cave album (which is great btw) is like a washed out mess on these.

I'm listening to a vinyl rip of this album now... I have no idea what you mean. It sounds fine on the HE500. Half of the reason it is like this is cause of the recording/mastering of the album, and that is clear because not all songs sound like this. You can't judge a headphone on ONE album lmao. Even then, it sounds pretty good on these, warm and intimate sounding...the vocals are forward along with the soundstaging in general BECAUSE OF THE MASTERING/RECORDING of the album and that might make it sound muddied to you. You go ahead and try Mount Kimbie - Mayor and tell me if that sounds better on the HD600 LOL

 

Edit: Also try the above songs and lemme know how that works out too, might as well judge this headphone off of EDM cause only one genre and type of song matter when comparing, right?


Edited by Nimzerz - 1/25/14 at 7:50pm
post #11384 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

On second thought, I'm totally cool with giving it away, and paying the shipping cost, as long as the recipient does the same and passes it on to someone else with the same rules, and so forth. That way we get to all experience this Lepai and bring about much entertainment and amusement for all of us on here. Just imagine hifimanrookie forced to do a review between the Lepai and Blue Circle for the Code-X and trying to describe how the the Blue Circle is 250x times better to justify the price, or StanD explaining how the bass and treble boost on the Lepai is blasphemous from an objectivist standpoint. Or koiloco who will probably get rare opamps and other parts costing many times more than the Lepai itself to improve the Lepai, and realize that the Lepai is now on par with the WA22 for the HE-500. But of course it would still pale in comparison to the Emotiva. Of course nothing will top Nimzerz's video review when he shows us that plugging his HE-500 into a potato battery sounds better than the Lepai. :D

Actually I'm guilty of sub 100 hz bass boost, since we can't feel the bass as with speakers or live performance, I'll take this crutch.
The Lepai isn't my cup of tea, too much distortion. I bought an LP-2020A+ to see what it was, since it was priced like a large pizza pie with sausage and extra cheese, I didn't have much to lose. They rate the distortion low, but once you turn up the volume it goes downhill fast. So I gave it away. So in the spirit of giving, give me your HD800's. :veryevil:

post #11385 of 18158
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Actually I'm guilty of sub 100 hz bass boost, since we can't feel the bass as with speakers or live performance, I'll take this crutch.
The Lepai isn't my cup of tea, too much distortion. I bought an LP-2020A+ to see what it was, since it was priced like a large pizza pie with sausage and extra cheese, I didn't have much to lose. They rate the distortion low, but once you turn up the volume it goes downhill fast. So I gave it away. So in the spirit of giving, give me your HD800's. :veryevil:


This kind of review sounds very honest and I can say that this is what I expect from it

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .