or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 745

post #11161 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

Just wondering, how loud is too loud when listening to these? I was listening to some music on my HE-500's and as they are open backs, my roommate commented that I would get hearing damage because he could hear the music.


LOL trust me, he's probably just never used to open-back ORTHO headphones :P

Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs

post #11162 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

Just wondering, how loud is too loud when listening to these? I was listening to some music on my HE-500's and as they are open backs, my roommate commented that I would get hearing damage because he could hear the music.

The HE-500's leak like crazy, worse than my HD600's. Do you think it's too loud? Got any ringing aftereffects?

post #11163 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

The HE-500's leak like crazy, worse than my HD600's. Do you think it's too loud? Got any ringing aftereffects?


I don't think it's too loud and I don't get ringing aftereffects. I just put the volume at a suitable level for me and leave it. Well, the HE-500 are my first orthos so I guess they just leak that much.

post #11164 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

The HE-500's leak like crazy, worse than my HD600's. Do you think it's too loud? Got any ringing aftereffects?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 


I don't think it's too loud and I don't get ringing aftereffects. I just put the volume at a suitable level for me and leave it. Well, the HE-500 are my first orthos so I guess they just leak that much.

They may leak like a sieve but they sound awesome. Enjoy them. I hope your roomie shares your musical tastes, hehehe. :D

post #11165 of 18030

Orthos can be really bad for your ears. There is less distortion at higher output in comparison to dynamic, so your brain doesn't get as fatigued and thus you can turn it up really loud and still not feel it getting harsh. Although the SPL won't be good for your ears. Also, playing at high volume is useless, because after a certain time your hearing threshold shifts from about 20 micro pascals to higher. So what that roughly translates to in practical music listening session is that to get that same degree of loudness you  felt initially (perception - meaning it's subjective), you will need to turn the volume up (amplitude, SPL, objective).

 

For example, if you have ever gone to a concert or festival, you may have noticed that at first the music seems really loud and almost hurtful, but surely after a few minutes, it starts to get better and better. WHY? Because your threshold of hearing has changed. On the other side of the spectrum, you will notice that after the concerts it's somewhat hard to hear people, especially if they are talking quietly. This is because of that threshold shift. Before the concert, your eardrum and brain could register to changes in air pressure as low as 20 micro pascals. But after the concert, your hair cells got smashed and need more pressure to get the same response. For example, your threshold can shift from 20 uPa to 500 uPa. What this means is that your brain now registers 20 uPa as 500 uPa, so what felt really loud before isn't as loud anymore.

 

The consequence of this is that listening too loud can permanently damage your hair cells and your hearing.

 

Also, listening to music loudly is quite useless as that sensation only lasts a few minutes until your threshold shifts and then you will have to keep turning it up to get that same initial response. This can really, really be disastrous for your hearing.

 

TIP: Keep turning the volume down as much as you can until you get to the point that you are losing out on your perception of details. In fact, you can cheat and turn it up a bit louder after that and you'll feel happy about the little extra bump but will still be far away from any danger.


Edited by Zoom25 - 1/20/14 at 8:15pm
post #11166 of 18030

Mine is the opposite, I sometimes start out too loud and find that I turn the volume down as I go along. I often start out on 10 o'clock and by the end up the session the dial would be on 9. I think it helps a lot that the Mini-X can keep on dishing out the bass and dynamics at lower volumes.

 

My wife isn't really happy about the amount of sound the HE-500s leak out. My study is next to the bedroom and she can often hear the music later at night when she is trying to sleep. One guy told me that listening to headphones was anti-social. Its not on the HE-500!

post #11167 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post

Mine is the opposite, I sometimes start out too loud and find that I turn the volume down as I go along. I often start out on 10 o'clock and by the end up the session the dial would be on 9. I think it helps a lot that the Mini-X can keep on dishing out the bass and dynamics at lower volumes.

My wife isn't really happy about the amount of sound the HE-500s leak out. My study is next to the bedroom and she can often hear the music later at night when she is trying to sleep. One guy told me that listening to headphones was anti-social. Its not on the HE-500!
+1 I end up turning it down as it goes as well. I find that my ears start to "get tired" and so I end up turning it down a little. Not tired in the sense of ringing or anything, it's hard to explain lol
post #11168 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

+1 I end up turning it down as it goes as well. I find that my ears start to "get tired" and so I end up turning it down a little. Not tired in the sense of ringing or anything, it's hard to explain lol
+1 me too..i turn it down also while listening..until i still can hear the little thingies in the music wink.gif
And my wife didnt like my phone also because of the leackage..but since i had the modulor pads i think the leackage became less....as she didnt complain to much anymore..maybe because i could use on a even lower volume because of better sealing? My wife used to sleep with bedroom open..but since i had the he500 she had to close it because me listening in the livingroom at night.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/21/14 at 12:18am
post #11169 of 18030

It really depends on the kind of music. For music that thrives on sounding powerful and all-encompassing (i.e. something like Hans Zimmer's scores), I pump that thing up. For more delicate music like songs, especially mids-heavy stuff like vocal music, it actually sounds overblown and unnatural when it's loud.

post #11170 of 18030

I find sit at 8:30 right now with my HE-5le. That is loud to me. Listening to anathema by the way, just for reference. Dunno what I am to think of the 5le, it's pretty dark in the mids and a little sibilant.

 

I have just slapped on the pleathers with damping holes and slightly vented, it seems to slightly increase or loosen the bass and shelve down the treble response (and upper mids), makes for a more intimate sound. It is the 'old' velours that came with it by the way.

post #11171 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I find sit at 8:30 right now with my HE-5le. That is loud to me. Listening to anathema by the way, just for reference. Dunno what I am to think of the 5le, it's pretty dark in the mids and a little sibilant.

I have just slapped on the pleathers with damping holes and slightly vented, it seems to slightly increase or loosen the bass and shelve down the treble response (and upper mids), makes for a more intimate sound. It is the 'old' velours that came with it by the way.
U know the he5le is much harder to drive right? U need at least 2,5w as the he500 needs only 1watt minimu as far i know..and its much more choosy (like the he6) to get that synergy with an amp...thats why u hear that sinilance..but i have to admit.,the he5le (that i heard) had a bit of more agressive treble then the he500.
Ru using the emotiva with the he5le? The he5le is a brighter phone then the he500 so a good tube amp or a warmer sounding ss amp would do it much more justice.
post #11172 of 18030
the price drops for the 560s coming
post #11173 of 18030
Am indeed using the emotiva.. Could use my tube amp as pre if necessary. The pleathers do a good job at keeping the sibilance at decent level but makes the mids pretty dark
post #11174 of 18030

Am pleasently surprised about what the x-can can do with it's not much more than 1 watt class A power. It isn't hopelessly behind the Emotiva when driving the HE-5le's it seems. Even when I listen very loud, though the staging and bass performance isn't really there compared to the emo (using x-can as pre)

post #11175 of 18030

I've been out of this thread for the last couple weeks because I needed some time away from the LCD-2 and this HE-500 thread to compare both headphones. Well, I said the victor would be whoever's thread I post in last, so...

 

:D;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .