or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 695

post #10411 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

I just went back and looked at the pictures, lots of opamps. The tube contingent of Head-Fi won't approve, I do. Just be careful of noise when you have that many opamps. I hope that it does what you expect, you must be waiting at the edge of your seat.
Yep..i am the enemy now for that group..lolz
Am not worried about the opamps...he is the authority concerning amps based on opamps..his NSL has 288 opamps inside! and all his amps sound wonderfull..

Yess..waiting is hell..especially now..as its only a few weeks away from finishing..but hey..have been waiting since june..so waiting a little more wont kill me.. But trust me..when i do get my amp... U better close ur ears..as i will scream like a lion of happiness... biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/31/13 at 8:05am
post #10412 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Yep..i am the enemy now for that group..lolz
Am not worried about the opamps...he is the authority concerning amps based on opamps..his NSL has 288 opamps inside! and all his amps sound wonderfull..

Yess..waiting is hell..especially now..as its only a few weeks away from finishing..but hey..have been waiting since june..so waiting a little more wont kill me.. But trust me..when i do get my amp... U better close ur ears..as i will scream like a lion of happiness... biggrin.gif

From the looks of it, since the HE-500's are open back, I'll hear it from across Europe and the Atlantic.

post #10413 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

From the looks of it, since the HE-500's are open back, I'll hear it from across Europe and the Atlantic.
I sold my he500's wink.gif
Am now waiting for something very special and unique..headphone wise.. Only 20 originals will be made..and they are all sold out now...and yep..also open back..but much harder to drive then the excellent he500.. tongue.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/31/13 at 9:02am
post #10414 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

I just went back and looked at the pictures, lots of opamps. The tube contingent of Head-Fi won't approve, I do. Just be careful of noise when you have that many opamps. I hope that it does what you expect, you must be waiting at the edge of your seat.

Actually the reviewer of the speaker amp on which this is based called it eerily quiet. http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/blue_circle_nsl.htm
post #10415 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I sold my he500's wink.gif
Am now waiting for something very special and unique..headphone wise.. Only 20 originals will be made..and they are all sold out now...and yep..also open back..but much harder to drive then the excellent he500.. tongue.gif

I guess you're taking a chance on it and hope your risk is rewarded. Well it looks like you're getting prepared. Although one isn't going to find a smartphone, simple DAP or low end amp capable of driving an HE-500 to satisfaction, they aren't all that difficult to drive and sound great. Even though they are a bit heavy, I don't find them uncomfortable as some others do, I can wear them for hours on end. For me the headband distributes the weight very effectively,

post #10416 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I just went back and looked at the pictures, lots of opamps. The tube contingent of Head-Fi won't approve, I do. Just be careful of noise when you have that many opamps. I hope that it does what you expect, you must be waiting at the edge of your seat.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post


Actually the reviewer of the speaker amp on which this is based called it eerily quiet. http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/blue_circle_nsl.htm

Dang, for 20 grand that thing better do my laundry and then some.

post #10417 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post


Dang, for 20 grand that thing better do my laundry and then some.

It is a lot of money, but not hard to spend that much these days in audio. I think his stuff is quite good
post #10418 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

 

 

Dang, for 20 grand that thing better do my laundry and then some.

$20k for 15 days work!  That's a pretty good salary if you asked me.  :p

post #10419 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

$20k for 15 days work!  That's a pretty good salary if you asked me.  tongue.gif
Its not only labor my friend..ur forgetting the best components/materials money can buy that he uses on/in his products..did u check the backside of my new amp? Just Check the thickness and perfect workmanship of that (mirrorshine?) Stainless steel rearside of my amp...thats not flimsy! And no cheapish aluminium plating...And that blue paint on the inside must have a reason also..and probably not cheap..also the immaculate paintjob of that inside wont be free..lolz to be honest..its first time i see a brand painting the INSIDE of their amp biggrin.gif
I am just thinking...i once bought 1 opamp to upgrade an excellent matrix mstage i once had..it was around 28usd...soooooo lets make a simple calculation: 28x288=8064usd..., as there are 288x quality opamps inside the NSL...ru starting to get the picture? wink.gif

So al in all i am guessin that 19950usd (for a STANDARD NSL) pricetag isnt very high if u look at the total costs concerned..

Yes he probably makes a good living out of it..he told me he has a backlog as long as august 2014 already...but why not? He does extremely good work...with as far i could find..NOT ONE DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER (and many are customers for life as he has sort of an upgrade plan for their amps no matter how old..)and He works hard for it...10hours a day..day in day out..i only have respect for that..
But yah..his products are not emotiva affordable... But then again...u get what u pay for i guess. wink.gif
AND just in case i offend anyone...the emotiva is an excellent amp for its money! As is the 337 i had or the other amp i once owned..the matrix mstage.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/1/14 at 4:15am
post #10420 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Its not only labor my friend..ur forgetting the best components/materials money can buy that he uses on/in his products..did u check the backside of my new amp? Just Check the thickness and perfect workmanship of that (mirrorshine?) Stainless steel rearside of my amp...thats not flimsy! And no cheapish aluminium plating...And that blue paint on the inside must have a reason also..and probably not cheap..also the immaculate paintjob of that inside wont be free..lolz to be honest..its first time i see a brand painting the INSIDE of their amp biggrin.gif
I am just thinking...i once bought 1 opamp to upgrade an excellent matrix mstage i once had..it was around 28usd...soooooo lets make a simple calculation: 28x288=8064usd..., as there are 288x quality opamps inside the NSL...ru starting to get the picture? wink.gif

So al in all i am guessin that 19950usd (for a STANDARD NSL) pricetag isnt very high if u look at the total costs concerned..

Yes he probably makes a good living out of it..he told me he has a backlog as long as august 2014 already...but why not? He does extremely good work...with as far i could find..NOT ONE DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER (and many are customers for life as he has sort of an upgrade plan for their amps no matter how old..)and He works hard for it...10hours a day..day in day out..i only have respect for that..
But yah..his products are not emotiva affordable... But then again...u get what u pay for i guess. wink.gif
AND just in case i offend anyone...the emotiva is an excellent amp for its money! As is the 337 i had or the other amp i once owned..the matrix mstage.

You're crazy :-)
post #10421 of 16541

For 20k I could buy an Orpheus and would still have money left for a SR-009.

post #10422 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

For 20k I could buy an Orpheus and would still have money left for a SR-009.
I dont think so...i jsut saw a confidential for an he90 orpeus system..asking price 18,000euro!..for the amp and phones..
But thats a headphone amp...the NSL of 20,000usd is a speaker amp...so a Competely different animal.
My headphone dac/amp costs much less being around 5000usd (as its less powerfull and a dedicated headphone amp with only one input.. USB)..and for that price u cant have a orpheus system..or even a sr009 system..

But in the end its all about the eye of the beholder who buys what and for what price.. Thats the fun of headfi... We are are different..if everyone would buy stax (sr007?) because its in that price range headfi would be very boring i am guessing... biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/1/14 at 6:46am
post #10423 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I dont think so...i jsut saw a confidential for an he90 orpeus system..asking price 18,000euro!..for the amp and phones..
But thats a headphone amp...the NSL of 20,000usd is a speaker amp...so a Competely different animal.
My headphone dac/amp costs much less being around 5000usd (as its less powerfull and a dedicated headphone amp with only one input.. USB)..and for that price u cant have a orpheus system..or even a sr009 system..

But in the end its all about the eye of the beholder who buys what and for what price.. Thats the fun of headfi... We are are different..if everyone would buy stax (sr007?) because its in that price range headfi would be very boring i am guessing... biggrin.gif

I would ask your amp builder to declare a lower value than five grand. The customs bill on that would be outrageous.
post #10424 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

I would ask your amp builder to declare a lower value than five grand. The customs bill on that would be outrageous.
Ofcourse i will..as otherwise my bill would be a total of around 7400usd when deliverd from canada to my doorstep..as its around 600usd postage based on wieght and measurements (found online)..and on total of those prices (product&postage&insurance) i have to up it with 30-35% in taxes and customcosts. redface.gif
Lucky i have some reseves that my wife doesnt know about..as she still thinks my new amp is second hand and under 1000 euro.. Oopsie very_evil_smiley.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/1/14 at 7:25am
post #10425 of 16541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


I dont think so...i jsut saw a confidential for an he90 orpeus system..asking price 18,000euro!..for the amp and phones..
But thats a headphone amp...the NSL of 20,000usd is a speaker amp...so a Competely different animal.
My headphone dac/amp costs much less being around 5000usd (as its less powerfull and a dedicated headphone amp with only one input.. USB)..and for that price u cant have a orpheus system..or even a sr009 system..

But in the end its all about the eye of the beholder who buys what and for what price.. Thats the fun of headfi... We are are different..if everyone would buy stax (sr007?) because its in that price range headfi would be very boring i am guessing... biggrin.gif


20k is expensive even for a speaker amp. You can get some great speakers for half that price.

About Orpheus: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697285/fs-sennheiser-he90-orpheus-electrostatic-headphone

Also: http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/165415-Sennheiser-Orpheus-HE90-HeadAmp-Aristaeus?highlight=orpheus

R$ 28,000 =~ U$12,000


Edited by Okamoto - 1/1/14 at 7:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .