Okie, let me get you clear once and for all if it's possible!
- I bought the WA22 to drive 2 HPs : my HE500 and either HD800/T1 or another candidate. (the HD800, I've spent 2 weeks straight with on the WA22)
- WA22 overall is the better amp at 10 times the $ (more now with upgraded tubes in all sockets). It can drive both my HE500 and HD800. The Emotiva can only drive/pair well with the HE500. Mini-x to my ear is not ideal for dynamic HPs such as HD800.
- To my taste and preference in sound, indeed I prefer the Emotiva driving my HE500 over the WA22. For me, the mini-x is better with HE500 overall though not across the board better in all categories. With that said, I do use my HE500 more on the Emotiva. The only time I use WA22 is when I listen to genres/tracks that don't require a weighty bottom to sound right to my ears (classic jazz, string acoustics, some classical...)
- You will be surprised at how much details the Mini-X can put out and how balanced and neutral the Mini-X is. Don't judge it if you haven't actually used it or haven't spent enough time with it. I don't do that when it comes to your 337 either cuz I have never had the chance to listen to it myself.
- With the power the Mini-X puts out, you will be surprised at the sound-stage on the HE500. All I would say is that "quite comparable to WA22"
- I just spent over $500 in tubes and try to get the WA22/HE500 to sound the way I like. I finally did it. Then, I was shocked how close the 2 amps sound now.
Anyway, I was a big Emotiva skeptic. I pretty much bought the Mini-X to disprove M-13's hype train for myself. Well, I was dead wrong. So, think what you want, say what you want about the Emotiva. Yes, it's $169. It's cheap! It's not the prettiest amp though it does have a blue circle on its volume knob (sry, i can't help with that one ) but I am more than willing to admit that it kicks ass (including my WA22's ass on the HE500). For the money, IMO there's no better SS choice for the HE500 all the way up to the $$$$ range and even at that range or beyond, I am not sure how much SQ one will gain. I've listened to quite a few high end SS amps already to safely say this.
Has your experience not tempted you with the XPA-1 or XPA-1L? Balanced class-A sound. It has tempted me.