The new little Schiits seem to be getting a good rap.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 597post #8941 of 1297410/30/13 at 12:45am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8942 of 1297410/30/13 at 5:40ampost #8943 of 1297410/30/13 at 5:53amQuote:YesOriginally Posted by koiloco
Wow, i just read Tyll's Comparing World-Class Headphones for the first time. Interesting to find out the HE500 received very good evaluation.
I guess I did make a good choice.
But it should be up on his wall of famepost #8944 of 1297410/30/13 at 7:39amJust got my HE-500 and I couldn't be happier. I was afriad of the weight but I really don't find them to be uncomfortable after long sessions. I might put Alpha Pads from my Mad Dog on these and see how comfy it is.post #8945 of 1297410/30/13 at 7:52ampost #8946 of 1297410/30/13 at 7:56am
That it should...I've actually seen a few instances in flagship review/comparison articles or threads that include the HE-500 because it fares so well against the upper tier competition. Another good example is in David Mahler's 'Battle of the Flagships' review thread:post #8947 of 1297410/30/13 at 8:07amQuote:
Alpha Pads are super comfy, no doubt...but I can't say they pair best with the HE-500 for my personal tastes. If you have them already, definitely give it a try...no harm there I've read before they pair best with the HE-4, but they were not too bad when I tried them on my former HE-400.post #8948 of 1297410/30/13 at 8:12amQuote:Originally Posted by modulor
Alpha Pads are super comfy, no doubt...but I can't say they pair best with the HE-500 for my personal tastes. If you have them already, definitely give it a try...no harm there I've read before they pair best with the HE-4, but they were not too bad when I tried them on my former HE-400.
Yeah from what I've read the Jergpads (specifically, the ones made by you) are the best. I subscribed to that thread. Since I missed the group buy, I'll definitely give it a go in a few weeks. But I saw pictures of your build and I doubt I can match your craftsmanship, so I'll probably still order if you do another group buy.post #8949 of 1297410/30/13 at 1:24pm
I did buy a pair of Alpha Pads for my HE-500 and it's a very nice improvement over the stock pleather and velour. Much more comfortable and a more natural soundstage. It's like having the bass impact from the pleathers but the soundstage of the velours.
Installation was a bit of a pain but possible.
I heard the Jerg pads are a better match for the HE-500 and I might try to do it one day but I think I will stay with the Alpha Pads. They're just amazingly comfortable and it also matches with the leather headband.post #8950 of 1297410/30/13 at 1:39pmpost #8951 of 1297410/30/13 at 2:42pm
It's actually pretty easy. The mounting ring fits inside the Alpha Pads fine, it's just a tad bit loose and the vinyl covers the mounting clips a bit. But it's still pretty easy to get all four mounting clips in place.post #8952 of 1297410/30/13 at 2:58pm
I just got my HE-500, I simply amazed. I plugged it into "Laptop >> Fiio D07 >> Schiit Asgard 2".
For now, I am satisfied with the D07/Asgard-2 combo and enjoying my HE-500. I am a part of "TEAM HE-500" now!post #8953 of 1297410/30/13 at 3:01pmQuote:
Grats and welcome! What took you so long??? didn't believe us, crazy owners?post #8954 of 1297410/30/13 at 3:05pmpost #8955 of 1297410/30/13 at 7:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by fluidz
I've a question for those who know a thing or two about amps available to purchase in the Uk/EU
Other than the Emotiva Mini X which I have owned but wasn't too keen on the noise floor/hiss, but loved the warmth, If you were given £300 to play with - what alternative amp would you choose to pair with the He-500 headphones? I'm looking for a very neutral Amp. This could be from Ebay Uk, Head-fi or anywhere really, as long as I can get to play with it within the next week. I can't find any good deals on the Lyr over here, still £450 rrp, and besides at that price, what's turning me off is the many claims of tubes making the sound much better (which makes me think it must be dull in the first place).
Ideally, a stereo amp would be great, with a similar sound signature to the Emotiva Mini X (warm, full sounding, but not as to take away detail).
Any ideas, exact models, links?
Thanks a bunch
I have a Lake People g109 and I'm very happy with how my HE-500s sound from it. I haven't tried speaker taps yet but I'm going to attempt a DIY cable and plug then into the back of my Linn Majik I. I'll post a comparison when I do.
On the subject of the Linn Majik I, it's a 40W integrated amp that can be picked up for around £200 second hand in the UK. Linn have a superb reputation and my speakers sound great out of the Majik so I'm hopeful my headphones do too. Actually they sound magic just straight from the headphone socket
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) 2 minutes ago
- › Optimum Software Gain Level 3 minutes ago
- › Mark Grant G1000HD Digital Coax Phono to BNC 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Post your most recent score, acquisition, purchase, gift, dumpster... 8 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 9 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 10 minutes ago
- › Frequencies, Hertz-es, Ohm-ses..tired of them ? Visit the FUN... 10 minutes ago
- › Alpha Dog ***WANTED *** !! 13 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude