- 372 Posts. Joined 6/2010
- Location: S.fl
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 5/17/13 at 3:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 558post #8356 of 973910/4/13 at 6:29amHow does the lyr compare to the emotive
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8357 of 973910/4/13 at 6:32amQuote:
Bass doesn't extend further, but you get the power needed to run them. My cheap Bravo V3 tube amp doesn't have enough power to run the HE-500 very well.
Running off a HifimeDIY Sabre A2 into the Lepai, with a ~6db bass knob boost sounds sweet with EDM. It doesn't kill the mids or highs at all either. Its also ~$140 less total than the mini-x. Great value setup.
Edited by bhazard - 10/4/13 at 6:33ampost #8358 of 973910/4/13 at 8:12amQuote:
That is outrageous! Lulz..post #8359 of 973910/4/13 at 8:14ampost #8360 of 973910/4/13 at 8:19am
I have a DIY dual opposed 18" sub setup with 2400 watts (RMS) running into it in my home theater. I hit 10hz flat at 100db with it. Once you experience it, nothing is outrageous anymore. lolpost #8361 of 973910/4/13 at 11:26am
Woah, nice. My uncle just bought a nice 18" sub as well to accompany his 70k$ speakers, haven't heard the combination yet.
On another note my friend's dad has an old luxman l-430. Thinking about repairing it or something, since one channel went dead some years ago due to the amp being played too loud. Dunno if it is worth the effort.
Edited by davidsh - 10/4/13 at 11:29ampost #8362 of 973910/4/13 at 11:31amQuote:
I've been a home theater and speaker building enthusiast for years. I have a fully DIY setup that is audio bliss, but it becomes useless on weeknights, unless i wanted to spend tens of thousands of dollars soundproofing.
Once I learned of Head-Fi, I caught the headphone/IEM bug now too. I never would have known how amazing the HE-500 is without this place. Now I'm testing all sorts of headphones and watching my wallet get slimmer. lolpost #8363 of 973910/4/13 at 11:34ampost #8364 of 973910/4/13 at 8:31pmQuote:
It's funny, but the DT880 Pro were what I was hoping the HE-500 was going to be. I sold the HE-500 and am living happily ever after.post #8365 of 973910/4/13 at 11:12pmQuote:
Well, if anyone else is looking to "trade up" like pp312 here, I've got a pair of DT880s for you!post #8366 of 973910/5/13 at 12:17amQuote:
Or at least that is how it sounds it to me.
Only caveat is that the room is another ingredient as opposed to the headphone experience and once speaker has been calibrated for the room, a good pair of speakers are going to really sing. Only problem is that, as with all good speakers, louder sounds better and you have a tendency to go louder, something which one cannot do in absence of proper sound proofing.post #8367 of 973910/5/13 at 12:33amQuote:Originally Posted by rexiriusQuote:Originally Posted by VTV
Who makes them? My DIY achievements are limited to making coffee etc. " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/redface.gif" />
I am the same, so I just bought the materials and sought the help of a hobbyist friend who is handy with a soldering iron. Page 1 of the emotiva thread mentions that you can order cables like this from BTG-Audio and zynsonix.com:
Thanks, The cost of cables are forcing a rethink.
May be the money for the speaker taps could be put to a balanced cable setup for use with the balanced Amp/DAC.
One advantage of Emotiva or a similar AMP is that they double up as a speaker AMP if you need it.post #8368 of 973910/5/13 at 6:07pmpost #8369 of 973910/6/13 at 12:13am
I bought Audioquest banana plugs for reasonably cheap and just chopped off the 3.5mm jack. I'll buy a Viablue or Cardas 6.3mm headphone plug should I ever want to return it to stock form. But speaker taps makes a big difference to the HE-500s!post #8370 of 973910/7/13 at 7:30pm
Took the plunge and went for a speaker amp setup. Everything is more refined and smooth. The separation gets a big boost. Bass has more impact and is tighter, but it does not drown out anything else (the separation). There is a slight hum when no music is playing, but once the music starts playing, it's indiscernible. I really only hear it between tracks and even when the song is reaching the end and losing volume, I cannot hear the hum until the song completely finishes since it take a second for my ear to adjust from music to no music to noticing hum. Might only be a problem if listening to classical tracks.
Edited by Sonido - 10/7/13 at 7:32pm
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 11 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Equalizer settings not functioning properly 41 seconds ago
- › Apple vs Android 2 minutes ago
- › E17 vs Aune T1 vs E12+Macbook air internal DAC for 250 ohm DT880 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum over-ear ***NEW AND UNOPENED*** 7 minutes ago
- › Does IEM Exit Hole Diameter Affect SQ? 8 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi