Got the LCD 2.2 bug in my head too, please tell me to keep my HE500 haha.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 463
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6932 of 129748/6/13 at 9:59pmpost #6933 of 129748/6/13 at 10:05pm
i found similar things with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.
i finally sold my LCD-2 now that i have LCD-3 since the LCD-3 is a much better headphone. though i do really like the LCD-2 bass presentation, its a little more neutral and tight with a more forward sound, it has more slam and mid-bass punch and impact.post #6934 of 129748/6/13 at 10:09pmpost #6935 of 129748/6/13 at 10:21pmQuote:
Okay this makes it kind of tough. Depending on your genres within electronic, HE-500 can beat LCD-2 for some. Some trance and DNB is really, really good on HE-500. Although for majority of it, I think LCD-2. Again, it took me 2 months to really start liking the LCD-2, whereas it was instant with HE-500. But then again I am a weirdo, so just ignore me.
Now with rock and stuff like Johnny Cash, it's a bit tricky. HE-500 will give you more width and air. Although LCD-2 will give you a more 3-D. Also, the vocals are better and more natural on the LCD-2. It took me awhile to get to that realization. I've found the vocals to be better for pretty much all genres. Also, live bass instruments come off better on the LCD-2 and especially LCD-3. They have the right bump and bloom with better tonality.
Throw me some tracks.post #6936 of 129748/6/13 at 10:24pm
Also, when coming off from HE-500 to LCD-2, you'll notice a difference in treble. However, when you get used to it, you'll notice that the detail retrieval is actually right up there, just not elevated. Although the air aspect still goes to HE-500.post #6937 of 129748/6/13 at 10:26pmpost #6938 of 129748/6/13 at 10:33pmpost #6939 of 129748/6/13 at 10:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by Avi
Obviously, less than an hour into the cans, some serious burn-in needs to happen. However, one thing I am noticing, is that unlike my DT990s, or even AH-D7000, I am beginning to hear a difference between MP3 V2 and FLAC, where I haven;t really been able to hear before. I am not ABXing, merely letting my playlist run through, but it has been about 10 songs now, and I've been able to tell if it is MP3 less than VBR V2 (like CBR128) or not (FLAC, CBR320, etc.). Interesting.....I should really try again with the Denon's but I'm too lazy/enjoying the music.
With only a few hours in, I prefer the velour to the pleather at this point. I did have to bend the headband to have it lay flat on my head, but even so, the pleather sounded "muffled" in the mid zone. Now that may be b/c the cans need to open up with burn in, but the velour sounds crisper now without any noticeable sacrifice in the bass (using Porcupine Tree "Russia on Ice" as an ad hoc comparison).post #6940 of 129748/6/13 at 10:58pmQuote:
Yup. Have had the LCD-3 for nearly 2 months now. LCD-2 for about 5 months when I sold them alongside with HE-500 at the same time, which I had for a year. Just to give you a timeline. Also, see my signature.
Now LCD-3 vs HE-500. Hmmm okay.
Engaging - Let's start with LCD-2 actually. For some LCD-2 has good mids and bass coherency, but it starts falling at upper mids/treble. Take your pick. I personally got used to it over months and loved it. It was the least fatiguing and yet exciting combo I had.
HE-500 is more balanced, although still has some faults across the FR. For example, the bass is loose compared to Audeze. LCD-3 is the most coherent across the board and more engaging. It flows from one end to the other. You tend to lose sight of that horrid "bass, mids and treble" approach.
Checklist of things LCD-3 does better over HE-500:
- Vocals all around, no exceptions!
- Bass extension
- Bass quantity/control
- Sub bass rumble, quantity and extension (very similar to my D2000 surprisingly)
- More 3D
- All around better FR coherency
- Comfort (softer and larger ear pads)
- Depth (soundstage)
- Detachable cable
- Stock cable is far superior on the LCD-2/3
- Smoother(est) FR
Checklist of things HE-500 does better over LCD-3:
- somewhat speaker like presentation
- Airy sound
- Treble extension
- Instrument separation (amp dependent, although LCD-3 is quite good)
Overall recommendation: LCD-3. Highly recommended.
Disclaimer: Also, I try to keep the price out of the equation as much possible, within reasonable limits of course. I value my stuff like D2000 and SE215 quite highly despite their low prices and sometimes prefer them over the planars. Also, I don't buy the whole cost to performance to enjoyment ratio. LCD-3 costs double that of LCD-2. Does the LCD-3 offer "double" the performance of LCD-2? Umm for different people on different setups this will differ and that is fine. I usually hear 20% better on LCD-3's performance. My problem is when performance, say of 20% is equated to a 20% increase in happiness. It's full on bullship IMO. For me with some genres, that extra 20% or whatever the difference is, equates to a FAR more than 20% increase in happiness.
Imagine being an olympic runner of a 100 meter sprint. You're currently the second fastest man in the world. The top sprinter has a time of 9.59 and you are currently at 9.64. You train and train for four years and finally are able to beat that man and also get a record of 9.55. Not a big difference in raw values and performance, but the joy you get when you're able to extend your performance a little bit and get the last bit out of it that you dearly wanted. That's priceless.
That's my HONEST opinion. I seriously hope that analogy made some damn sense. Writing this crap as I go along at 2 am here in Canada.
Umm...did you say 5 sentences?post #6941 of 129748/6/13 at 11:01pmQuote:
Oh definitely the LCD-3. For both rock and electronic music together, I can easily recommend the LCD-3 over HE-500 and LCD-2. With LCD-3, you'll get a very high satisfaction for both genres.post #6942 of 129748/6/13 at 11:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl
i found similar things with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.
i finally sold my LCD-2 now that i have LCD-3 since the LCD-3 is a much better headphone. though i do really like the LCD-2 bass presentation, its a little more neutral and tight with a more forward sound, it has more slam and mid-bass punch and impact.
Yup.post #6943 of 129748/6/13 at 11:08pm
lol Zoom25, that was 5^2 at least. Thx for the short write up. I will definitely search out some LCD3 at the meet this Saturday. I have a really bad habit. When i know for sure I like something, it tends to show ups at the office a few days after Next stop for me will be either HD800 or LCD3. I got my DAC already taken care of.post #6944 of 129748/6/13 at 11:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
lol Zoom25, that was 5^2 at least. Thx for the short write up. I will definitely search out some LCD3 at the meet this Saturday. I have a really bad habit. When i know for sure I like something, it tends to show ups at the office a few days after Next stop for me will be either HD800 or LCD3. I got my DAC already taken care of.
LOL I have that same tendency. As I mention to others, remember to give it some time, especially those coming off HE-500 which is more energetic in treble.post #6945 of 129748/6/13 at 11:16pmQuote:
Ultimately these things are why I sold off my LCD-2 way back when, and have never found the LCD-3 an appealing choice. I always have found hifimans to excel in these things
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › [FiiO E17] Windows shows sound playing, yet cannot hear any sound 18 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2 + Macromolecule Double Helix 51 seconds ago
- › Production of HE-400 stopped? Is there gonna be a successor? 1 minute ago
- › Toronto Winter Meet 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced... 4 minutes ago
- › WTB: StageDiver 3 or Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 6 minutes ago
- › Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0 7 minutes ago
- › High End CIEM/IEM Thread! 8 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude