- 2,712 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 395post #5911 of 129437/1/13 at 11:14pmLike...uhhh........What happened?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5912 of 129437/1/13 at 11:18pmpost #5913 of 129437/2/13 at 8:00am
So I plugged in my HE-500 directly to the speaker outputs (for the first time) of a vintage harman/kardon PM640 Vxi.
I could only hear two noticeable differences to the usual headphone outs I know and love.
1 - there was a noise floor - so that's the amp. Nothing out of the ordinary so it doesn't really count.
2 - the sub bass was a touch more dominant. It was also less tight and slower. If I listened to a lot more electronic music I might consider making space on my desk for a speaker amp, but even then I much prefer the bass from some of my other dynamic headphones.
If there were any differences to be heard in the midrange or treble, they were not significant enough on this amp to make an accurate judgement.
I may try out my more humble Fisher amp in future (whose headphone out I prefer to the lifeless harman kardon's), but for now it's connected to it's cable-salad under the TV.post #5914 of 129437/2/13 at 8:37amQuote:
While I don't listen to Taylor swift, I did compare the cup size of the HE500 to Taylor Swift's and the HE500 managed to win by a small margin based on roundness and firmness. Does this count?post #5915 of 129437/2/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Interesting comparison. Do you have any visual aids?post #5916 of 129437/2/13 at 9:27am
While I do not have graphs and exact measurements for diameter/density for both to back up my claim, after a $5k lasik operation, my eyes are deadly accurate. It got to be 20/20 or better. Just like headphones and amps, "they" do come in all shapes/sizes. It all comes down to personal preference. I don't believe that bigger is better. That's why I still love my little E09K ... until the big a.. Emotiva comes this Friday.post #5917 of 129437/2/13 at 9:30amQuote:
O2 supplies less than 600mW, more like 300.
When HE-500 peaks, it will mostly not draw anywhere near 1W. That is almost 120dB, you know... At reasonable listening volume, you would not need that headroom. If you listen at an average of 80dB, you would need a recording to have peaks of almost 40dB. You could run into problems if you crank your HE-500 to very high volume or listen to very dynamic recordings, though. But there are some out there who listen at only 60-70 dB, and then the O2 would be more than enough.
Say your not in luck, and get a HE-500 that measures 86dB/mw and has an impedance of some 50 ohms (which could easily happen, anyone remember what Tyll measured his HE-500 to?), then some beefier amping would be good.post #5918 of 129437/2/13 at 9:51ampost #5919 of 129437/2/13 at 10:12ampost #5920 of 129437/2/13 at 11:35ampost #5921 of 129437/2/13 at 12:55pmpost #5922 of 129437/2/13 at 2:04pmpost #5923 of 129437/2/13 at 2:31pmpost #5924 of 129437/2/13 at 2:34pmQuote:
By no means am I bashing the 337, like I have reiterated on multiple occasions I think it is fantastic with the HD 650, I just prefer the Lyr with the HE-500. The Lyr is ultra tube responsive and if you find the right tube it is an amazing little amp for the money. Judge not what you hear at a meet with unknown tubes.
That is what I consider the fantastic thing about this hobby we all share, we all hear different.
And the worst part is, I actually have been on a solid state kick as of late and have found that I may prefer the Audio GD SA-31 with the HE-500 .post #5925 of 129437/2/13 at 2:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by M-13
It's sad to see that when people run out of actual arguments they resort to name calling. I asked Eke if he owns the HE-500 and what amps he's tried them with and in response he called me an idiotic troll. My question was fair and his answer was nonsense and the very definition of trolling.
And I responded by saying that I had more than enough time with them. If I had actually bought them for the week and a half that I had it, then sold it...would my impressions be more valid?
I call you idiotic because you hook up a HEADPHONE to SPEAKER taps, then say it has "increased dynamic range", which is audiophile for "it gets louder". What do you expect?! Then, you say that the bass response is definitely increased due to the extra power, when in fact it could be due to the sound signature of the amp.
It's not the fact that you like the Emotiva. I hate your conceited, condescending attitude, and the fact that you poke fun at others who disagree with you. I don't think you've learned the art of arguing your point without starting a fuss.
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 26 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 35 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 41 seconds ago
- › Best looking headphones 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 3 minutes ago
- › One of the Most Iconic Artists of All Time in Pristine... 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 3 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by gelocks
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude