- 2,707 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 5/17/13 at 3:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
I love these headphones! So comfortable you will forget you're wearing them. My cousin once commented "This is the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone!" While I know there are headphones out...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 395post #5911 of 97457/1/13 at 11:14pmLike...uhhh........What happened?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5912 of 97457/1/13 at 11:18pmpost #5913 of 97457/2/13 at 8:00am
So I plugged in my HE-500 directly to the speaker outputs (for the first time) of a vintage harman/kardon PM640 Vxi.
I could only hear two noticeable differences to the usual headphone outs I know and love.
1 - there was a noise floor - so that's the amp. Nothing out of the ordinary so it doesn't really count.
2 - the sub bass was a touch more dominant. It was also less tight and slower. If I listened to a lot more electronic music I might consider making space on my desk for a speaker amp, but even then I much prefer the bass from some of my other dynamic headphones.
If there were any differences to be heard in the midrange or treble, they were not significant enough on this amp to make an accurate judgement.
I may try out my more humble Fisher amp in future (whose headphone out I prefer to the lifeless harman kardon's), but for now it's connected to it's cable-salad under the TV.post #5914 of 97457/2/13 at 8:37amQuote:
While I don't listen to Taylor swift, I did compare the cup size of the HE500 to Taylor Swift's and the HE500 managed to win by a small margin based on roundness and firmness. Does this count?post #5915 of 97457/2/13 at 8:48amQuote:
Interesting comparison. Do you have any visual aids?post #5916 of 97457/2/13 at 9:27am
While I do not have graphs and exact measurements for diameter/density for both to back up my claim, after a $5k lasik operation, my eyes are deadly accurate. It got to be 20/20 or better. Just like headphones and amps, "they" do come in all shapes/sizes. It all comes down to personal preference. I don't believe that bigger is better. That's why I still love my little E09K ... until the big a.. Emotiva comes this Friday.post #5917 of 97457/2/13 at 9:30amQuote:
O2 supplies less than 600mW, more like 300.
When HE-500 peaks, it will mostly not draw anywhere near 1W. That is almost 120dB, you know... At reasonable listening volume, you would not need that headroom. If you listen at an average of 80dB, you would need a recording to have peaks of almost 40dB. You could run into problems if you crank your HE-500 to very high volume or listen to very dynamic recordings, though. But there are some out there who listen at only 60-70 dB, and then the O2 would be more than enough.
Say your not in luck, and get a HE-500 that measures 86dB/mw and has an impedance of some 50 ohms (which could easily happen, anyone remember what Tyll measured his HE-500 to?), then some beefier amping would be good.post #5918 of 97457/2/13 at 9:51ampost #5920 of 97457/2/13 at 11:35ampost #5921 of 97457/2/13 at 12:55pmpost #5922 of 97457/2/13 at 2:04pmpost #5924 of 97457/2/13 at 2:34pmQuote:
By no means am I bashing the 337, like I have reiterated on multiple occasions I think it is fantastic with the HD 650, I just prefer the Lyr with the HE-500. The Lyr is ultra tube responsive and if you find the right tube it is an amazing little amp for the money. Judge not what you hear at a meet with unknown tubes.
That is what I consider the fantastic thing about this hobby we all share, we all hear different.
And the worst part is, I actually have been on a solid state kick as of late and have found that I may prefer the Audio GD SA-31 with the HE-500 .post #5925 of 97457/2/13 at 2:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by M-13
It's sad to see that when people run out of actual arguments they resort to name calling. I asked Eke if he owns the HE-500 and what amps he's tried them with and in response he called me an idiotic troll. My question was fair and his answer was nonsense and the very definition of trolling.
And I responded by saying that I had more than enough time with them. If I had actually bought them for the week and a half that I had it, then sold it...would my impressions be more valid?
I call you idiotic because you hook up a HEADPHONE to SPEAKER taps, then say it has "increased dynamic range", which is audiophile for "it gets louder". What do you expect?! Then, you say that the bass response is definitely increased due to the extra power, when in fact it could be due to the sound signature of the amp.
It's not the fact that you like the Emotiva. I hate your conceited, condescending attitude, and the fact that you poke fun at others who disagree with you. I don't think you've learned the art of arguing your point without starting a fuss.
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 28 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Need advice choosing full size set of over ear headphones. I... 1 minute ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (Saturday, July 26th, 2014) - part of CanMania @... 2 minutes ago
- › Need help pairing a set of headphones with a LD MKII for wide a... 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Mint Headamp Gilmore Lite w/DPS 4 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons. 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for a thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi