- 127 Posts. Joined 2/2006
- Location: Ottawa, Ontario
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on Yesterday at 3:57 am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 393post #5881 of 98197/1/13 at 6:06pmHi all, has anyone tried the he-500 with a Cambridge audio A500, using speaker taps? The amp is rated at 65 watts into 8 ohms. I'm buying a he-500,and looking to amp options, either a lyr, bottlehead s.e.x, or my speaker amp. Thoughts?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5882 of 98197/1/13 at 6:13pmQuote:
Why do you keep scapegoating the O2? It doesn't meet the manufacturer's requirements to drive the 500 to the maximum. The He-500 at it's peaks draws about 1W , the O2 supplies around 600mw. Leave the O2 out of this.
I think he might be knowledgeable enough to state so.
Model HE-4 HE-5LE HE-500 HE-6 Rec. power 2 watts 2 watts 1 watt 8 watts Drive magnetostatic; magnets on one side; aluminum traces magnetostatic; magnets on both sides; aluminum traces magnetostatic; magnets on both sides; aluminum traces magnetostatic; magnets on both sides; gold traces Response 10Hz - 60kHz 10Hz - 60kHz 10Hz - 40kHz 8Hz - 65kHz Impedance 38Ω 38Ω 38Ω 50Ω Sensitivity 86dB/1mW 87.5dB/1mW 89dB/1mW 83.5dB/1mW Weight w/o cable ca. 350g ca. 400g ca. 500g ca. 500g
Edited by eke2k6 - 7/1/13 at 6:20pmpost #5883 of 98197/1/13 at 6:21pmQuote:
I would say you need an amp that can supply at minimum 1W for optimal performance, same for the LCD-2s
I only mention the O2 because others are discussing it in this thread, and it is a good example of an amp with insufficient power for the HE500's that gets asked about a lot.post #5884 of 98197/1/13 at 6:26pm
I d'ont care what the headfi gods might say about the lyr and the he 6. I own both he 500 and he 6 and I own the lyr and lyr can't drive he 6 properly. not by a long shot. bass lacks weight and impact and is not tight at all, soundstage is unimpressive and treble is both piercing and unpleasant. my 3 channel b22 does a better job than the lyr I find, but both amps are less than optimal choices with he 6. b22 is stellar with he 500. really impressive.
lyr is a very decent amp with he 500. especially if you have upgraded with great nos tubes.post #5885 of 98197/1/13 at 7:14pmpost #5886 of 98197/1/13 at 7:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Hedonism
Hi there, I'm going to be moving up from a Hifiman HE-400 to a Hifiman HE-500 sometime tomorrow hopefully. I'd like to know the cheapest (non-DIY) method to connect the Hifiman HE-500s to an Emotiva A-100 amp.
I'd also like to know how the Lyr pairs with the Hifiman HE-500s, or if there are any better alternatives in that price range (aside from the Emotiva amp).
Thanks in advance.
Lyr can drive the HE500 with Full Authority… with that being said, i own EF5 which is more than capable of driving the HE500 also...
Edited by knights - 7/1/13 at 7:28pmpost #5887 of 98197/1/13 at 7:25pm
Out of all the things we can talk about. It keeps coming back to O2, Emotiva and amplification requirements. This has to be THE greenest thread on Head-fi. Stuff gets recycled on a weekly basis.post #5888 of 98197/1/13 at 7:38pm
Funny enough, I haven't seen many people here report that they are using the O2. It just always comes up as an example of a sissy amp, when in reality it's actually decently powerful. Don't act surprised when there's a counteraction to the speaker amp narcissism.post #5889 of 98197/1/13 at 7:41pmQuote:
To be fair, I think the whole O2 thing has gone down a little bit over the past few months with regards to planars. Credit to the head-fi community on that.
The new emerging theme seems to be about whether speaker amps are needed or not, or if they are overkill. I personally don't see the heat that speaker amps are getting. They are usually cheaper, have enough headroom, and most importantly can drive speakers. People should seriously try it out for themselves. Even if they don't like it with headphones, they can always use it with speakers. I find speakers to be much less pickier than headphones with amplification and all that synergy stuff. At least that's what my perspective was when I picked up speaker amps.post #5891 of 98197/1/13 at 7:53pm
you dont always have to run off the speaker taps for the vintage receivers. my he-500 runs perfect from the headphone out on my pioneer sx-780 that i bought for $93 in pretty good shape. i use less than half of the volume, sometimes only 1/3 and its great. it does still weigh like 25 pounds, but i'm not moving it around so that doesn't matter as much.post #5893 of 98197/1/13 at 8:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by M-13
Several months before this 6Moons review (which is where you go this chart) Fang himself said the HE-500 can be driven from most portable devices and did not require a seperate amp. The HE-500 was actually called the HE-6P (P for portable). After a few months he amended this claim and said the HE-500 requires a desktop amp with at least 1 Watt. So his words are not set in stone.
M-13, Fang did not lie about this but wasn't 100% correct either I guess. I do get decent volume on the HE500 straight from my Samsung tablet. Underpowered? of course but surprising decent volume (more than what my Q701 would get). Let's not discuss SQ ok!
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Brainwavz Delta IEM's: new low cost champs! 23 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 54 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 LA/SoCal Regional Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014,... 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Replacing my Logitech G930 headset 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000, Spider PowerForce 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Mad Dogs 3.0 (Alpha Pads) 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe