- 2,552 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: Gresham, OR - in the shadow of Mt Hood
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. - Page 370post #5536 of 129436/15/13 at 7:48amHas anyone run these out of a vintage amp (ie a Kenwood KA-5700) headphone out, not speaker taps? I'd imagine plenty of power available.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5537 of 129436/15/13 at 8:03ampost #5538 of 129436/15/13 at 9:32am
Interesting about the speaker amp suggestion (I guess it's a hifiman-family thing). Thanks for the nice comments m-13.
But I get my great results with either my Pinnacle (in high-impedance mode) or Rudistor RP010B, both running balanced.
Edited by rgs9200m - 6/15/13 at 9:33ampost #5539 of 129436/15/13 at 10:03amQuote:
I run my HE-500 out of a vintage Fisher SS speaker amp headphone-out (nothing special compared to the Kenwood, but fairly powerful) and it's okay.
The biggest problem with this is the background noise as I have to turn the volume to around 50% to get the volume to a nice level. This is due to the standard use of resistors in the headphone out, and turning up the volume so high naturally increases electronic background noise that builds up in the whole sound chain.
I prefer the clear perfectly black background from my PA2V2 compared to the speaker amp, but I prefer the extra dynamic range and I get from the vintage amp.
But neither are anywhere close to ideal.post #5540 of 129436/16/13 at 4:21ampost #5541 of 129436/16/13 at 2:06pm
The left driver of my HE-500 is recently adding a low volume but very annoying "screech" sound at certain songs parts. I have already ruled out all chance of faulty cable or upstream gear and my other cans are faultless.
Can anyone propose something, or is it high time for RMA (it will be the 3rd for those cans in less than 2 years) as I imagine ?post #5542 of 129436/16/13 at 2:47pmpost #5543 of 129436/16/13 at 3:58pmpost #5544 of 129436/16/13 at 5:11pm
I've noticed while using my Lyr that after about 30 minutes of use I start to get a very high frequency screech (maybe 16-17khz) in one side of my headphones, usually the left. It happens with any headphone I plug into it. If I unplug the headphone from the headphone jack and plug it back in it goes away but comes back after a few minutes. It's not particularly loud but it is annoying, especially during a quiet part of a song when it's more noticeable.post #5545 of 129436/16/13 at 5:41pm
My guess is that it's a problem with a tube. Meaning the problem is likely triggered by the heated tube. Swap one tube for another and see if the problem moves to the other cup. Then you'll know.post #5546 of 129436/17/13 at 12:02ampost #5547 of 129436/17/13 at 4:21ampost #5548 of 129436/17/13 at 8:40ampost #5549 of 129436/17/13 at 8:59ampost #5550 of 129436/17/13 at 11:15amQuote:Originally Posted by nicholars
What I would really like to see and would almost definately purchase would be a HE-400 level headphone but with a more balanced frequency response without that massive peak at 10khz. Similar FR to the HE-500 but cheaper manufacturing and slightly worse sound quality, I would buy that.
If it would also be slightly easy to run, i wouldn't say no to that either.
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 2/20/2014: BoomPro... 43 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 53 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › New Beyer DT1350 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom 3 minutes ago
- › Summit-fi unamped? 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 6 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude