Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sunrise SW-Xcape Impressive Edition (NOT v.2) - any impressions out there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sunrise SW-Xcape Impressive Edition (NOT v.2) - any impressions out there?

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 

As most of you know, well atleast those who have read Jokers massive IEM review and ClieOS' impressions, the Sunrise V.1 made quite an impression here. Now it seems that Sunrise have another option for sale, the Impressive Edition, which ClieOS dubbed the X-IE. Unfortunately there are'nt many impressions of these around as of yet, ClieOS did a short comparison with V.1 here (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548543/review-sunrise-xcape-v2-and-xcited) and also does a good job of explaining the difference between the various models (these are not the V2 in case you were wondering). But I was wondering whether more people out there had tried these out and would be willing to share some impressions?

 

Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 76

When I listened to them first, bass was not more present than with V1, after some burn in, I agree with ClieOS, it is. The slight improvement I noticed in instruments separation is still there, that's all I can say compared to Xcape V1.

post #3 of 76

I will have a review up within the next couple weeks.  I can comment on some basic impressions of them right now, but that's about it.  I've never owned any other version of the Xcape earphone, so I can't compare between devices.  The Impressive Edition is, like all the other versions popping up for testing, is a different gearing of the product.  The Impressive Edition is specifically supposed to offer a little higher quality sound over the regular Xcapes, but as it was described to me is geared slightly different than the regular Xcape.  Frankly, I'm not sure what version(s) may actually end up being sold to consumers.  I don't know if Sunrise is simply feeling out the audience with a variety of variants like the Xcite or what.  As of right now, the regular Xcape (I assume v2) is the only thing being sold.  All the other variants popping up for review don't exist at the consumer level.  You can't actually buy an Impressive Edition version.  Those that are out right now are simply demo products to gain feedback and to promote the company and things they're doing.  Sunrise seems to have a pretty strong goal on improving their products and getting better and better products out.  These versions are likely more them testing the waters.  Once they are content with the feedback, you may actually see a released variant of some sort in one incarnation or another.  I don't know if this will actually be a special edition version or a complete replacement for the existing product.  I don't know if they intend to sell two Xcapes or simply sell the best one.  Heck, maybe they'll have 3 version and simply let the consumer decide.  I don't know.  Sunrise is too new with too few products to really indicate their business philosophy on the subject.

post #4 of 76
Thread Starter 


mvw2 its funny you say that because I sent an email to the people at Sunrise asking for suppliers in the Netherlands and they directed me to a seller in the UK. this particular seller only stocks the X-IE so I am a little suprised at your comments as to the availability of the different models.

 

the seller in question: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sunrise-SW-Xcape-Impressive-Edition-shipped-UK-/320681881800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvw2 View Post

I will have a review up within the next couple weeks.  I can comment on some basic impressions of them right now, but that's about it.  I've never owned any other version of the Xcape earphone, so I can't compare between devices.  The Impressive Edition is, like all the other versions popping up for testing, is a different gearing of the product.  The Impressive Edition is specifically supposed to offer a little higher quality sound over the regular Xcapes, but as it was described to me is geared slightly different than the regular Xcape.  Frankly, I'm not sure what version(s) may actually end up being sold to consumers.  I don't know if Sunrise is simply feeling out the audience with a variety of variants like the Xcite or what.  As of right now, the regular Xcape (I assume v2) is the only thing being sold.  All the other variants popping up for review don't exist at the consumer level.  You can't actually buy an Impressive Edition version.  Those that are out right now are simply demo products to gain feedback and to promote the company and things they're doing.  Sunrise seems to have a pretty strong goal on improving their products and getting better and better products out.  These versions are likely more them testing the waters.  Once they are content with the feedback, you may actually see a released variant of some sort in one incarnation or another.  I don't know if this will actually be a special edition version or a complete replacement for the existing product.  I don't know if they intend to sell two Xcapes or simply sell the best one.  Heck, maybe they'll have 3 version and simply let the consumer decide.  I don't know.  Sunrise is too new with too few products to really indicate their business philosophy on the subject.



 

post #5 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooptroopRocker View Post


mvw2 its funny you say that because I sent an email to the people at Sunrise asking for suppliers in the Netherlands and they directed me to a seller in the UK. this particular seller only stocks the X-IE so I am a little suprised at your comments as to the availability of the different models.

 

the seller in question: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sunrise-SW-Xcape-Impressive-Edition-shipped-UK-/320681881800



 


This is the seller I ordered my IE from. If V2 is the only official model, then IE seems to be more than a prototype or demo model.

 

Quote:
More than 10 available / 15 sold
post #6 of 76
Thread Starter 

Agreed. Also from the seller's description:

 

Quote:
The Impressive Edition would very likely be the last generation of Xcape series, the flagship IEM of Sunrise Audio. It's not a version II although share the nearly same design.

 

post #7 of 76

Until Sunrise actually puts it up on their website as something official, it's questionable.  Why he has a number of them, I do not know.  There isn't even official packaging for the Impressive Edition at all, no box, no labeling, nothing.  Sunrise sent me a demo one that came in the original Xcape box.  There are no markings to indicate that it is anything other than the original Xcape other than Sunrise telling me it's the Impressive Edition (as opposed to v1, v2, Xcite, or whatever).  This is a big indicator that this really isn't an official product yet.  As well, I find it very odd that Sunrise would allow sale of a product that is unknown to the public.  You may buy one, but you have no clue what you're actually getting.  It could be the v1 for all you know.  You can't tell, and Sunrise hasn't done anything to differentiate it with the plug versus the original.  Well, they have a little bit but not against the v2, Xcite, etc.  v2 got the new look, but everything after that shares the exact same look meaning you don't know what you got or what people are selling if they do buy and then later sell whatever version they may have.  The only thing that could be unique to the Impressive Edition is the case.  It has a different logo than what I see from older version pics.  However, I have no clue if this was updated/changed over time.

 

I'm not trying to say don't buy it, but I might contact Sunrise first and inquire at the very least.  Even if it is officially out, the lack of labeling will be a big issue down the road when people are selling several versions that all look the same.  Sunrise needs to silkscreen or etch some unique markings on these things to differentiate the products.  I don't really see a product as consumer ready till that happens.  It should have labeling, its own box, etc. upon official release.  Then again, I've seen ClieOS comment that Sunrise is kind of bad about the whole labeling thing as in they don't really try to make an effort to differentiate the products as well as some companies do.  I just see a big issue with verification of what a product is in the first place unless it came directly from Sunrise and they told you what you got.

post #8 of 76
Thread Starter 


I completely agree. Why Sunrise chooses to release multiple versions to the market might have to do with them wanting to 'test' the responses (possibly here?) to various sound tweaks BUT I dont think thats an excuse for their lack of differentiation, a basic differentiation such as packaging is the least they could do. I think its clear the v.2 model caused a lot of dissappointments here since people were expecting to buy v.1, its a shame they did'nt think it through for the X-IE then.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvw2 View Post

Until Sunrise actually puts it up on their website as something official, it's questionable.  Why he has a number of them, I do not know.  There isn't even official packaging for the Impressive Edition at all, no box, no labeling, nothing.  Sunrise sent me a demo one that came in the original Xcape box.  There are no markings to indicate that it is anything other than the original Xcape other than Sunrise telling me it's the Impressive Edition (as opposed to v1, v2, Xcite, or whatever).  This is a big indicator that this really isn't an official product yet.  As well, I find it very odd that Sunrise would allow sale of a product that is unknown to the public.  You may buy one, but you have no clue what you're actually getting.  It could be the v1 for all you know.  You can't tell, and Sunrise hasn't done anything to differentiate it with the plug versus the original.  Well, they have a little bit but not against the v2, Xcite, etc.  v2 got the new look, but everything after that shares the exact same look meaning you don't know what you got or what people are selling if they do buy and then later sell whatever version they may have.  The only thing that could be unique to the Impressive Edition is the case.  It has a different logo than what I see from older version pics.  However, I have no clue if this was updated/changed over time.

 

I'm not trying to say don't buy it, but I might contact Sunrise first and inquire at the very least.  Even if it is officially out, the lack of labeling will be a big issue down the road when people are selling several versions that all look the same.  Sunrise needs to silkscreen or etch some unique markings on these things to differentiate the products.  I don't really see a product as consumer ready till that happens.  It should have labeling, its own box, etc. upon official release.  Then again, I've seen ClieOS comment that Sunrise is kind of bad about the whole labeling thing as in they don't really try to make an effort to differentiate the products as well as some companies do.  I just see a big issue with verification of what a product is in the first place unless it came directly from Sunrise and they told you what you got.



 

post #9 of 76

I agree too, there's nothing on the labelling, clamshell box or headphones, even on the warranty card (only an obscure reference), that let you know which product it is.

It seems the UK seller stopped selling V2.

post #10 of 76

X-IE is not supposed to be released at a later time because Sunrise is still trying to finalize the packaging. However, the UK dealer demanded they want X-IE first, even without the packaging. So Sunrise sent them the X-IE in the old packaging. It is the same kind of rush decision that makes them want to replace the original Xcape with the Xcape v2. I said it before, what Sunrise needs is a dedicated marketing team to help them sharpen the company business strategy instead of just go-with-the-flow with their dealer's demand.


Edited by ClieOS - 4/26/11 at 10:53pm
post #11 of 76

Indeed.  It's nice that they like continuous evolution and do seem to try to fit their products to what people want, but they do definitely need to sit back and stop for a minute.  There is a big difference between small batch prototyping/demoing and full consumer market trim, and it's really odd that Sunrise doesn't see or simply ignores that.  It's...weird, and it's going to cause a lot of hassle.

post #12 of 76
Thread Starter 

I took the plunge and ordered these today! Excited :D

post #13 of 76

Unless you're basshead, you won't be disappointed.ksc75smile.gif

post #14 of 76
Thread Starter 

Well truth is, I don't know. I always considered myself a basshead but as of late I have the impression that might be exaggerated a bit. Lots of people whom I respect here on head-fi seem to be praising the rest of the spectrum, or the balance thereof, more than just bass presence solely. So too be honest, I felt that these IEMs might be a bit of an 'education' into those perspectives for myself. I have a gnawing feeling that some of my electronic music wont be satisfied, but then again I do listen to a lot of various genres and these might reveal something in that music which a bass-heavy IEM might not be able to. And if the bass deficit is too much for my beloved electronic music I will just get an Eterna on the side as well :D

post #15 of 76

i do believe i should be getting a pair of them soon

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sunrise SW-Xcape Impressive Edition (NOT v.2) - any impressions out there?