Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp - Page 148

post #2206 of 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmrp View Post

Hi, I've just bought it and hoped that it can push my old AKB K1000, which was sitting in the beautiful woody box for a long time.

 

It's not difficult for V200 to drive K1000 to sound loud enough to turn me to a deaf, just with +6db. However, the sound is quite thin and metallic. So far I think the best I get is +0db for piano playback but the volume is turned to 4pm position.

 

Anyone are using V200 and K1000, can you please kindly to share your experience? Thanks.

I don't think the V200 can drive a K1000, or even come close.

post #2207 of 2655
I found my V200 to sound the same out of the box as well with my LCD-2's,after a couple hundred hours it sounds much better.Maybe it's just in my head,but let the amp burn in for some time and then re evaluate it.
post #2208 of 2655

Hey guys, could someone please help me get a grip on a mystery?

 

To begin with, I would like to ask you guys if anyone has found their V200 or V100 to impart some channel imbalance on any headphone connected to it?

 

I have a V100 and just recently found that on any headphone hooked up on it the physical left channel always sounds slightly louder than the right channel...

I've noticed this imbalance months ago but I thought that it was coming from the headphones themselves, but recently I actually verified that the problem was coming apparently from the amp.

 

I've tested all possible variables: digital sources, interconnects, software (channel reverse), pre-gain settings (of course!, I used the same for both channels duh!), volume knob position, etc... and the imbalance remains always the same regardless of the above configurations... The left channel of the headphones sounds louder than the right one.

So it seems that it's an issue within the amp....

 

My ears detect this imbalance mostly on the upper midrange - treble frequencies, on the lower frequencies I'm not sure I was able to discern any imbalance as strange as it seems...

I'm not sure if it's right to call it an imbalance, it's a sort of sound image shift to the left channel...

As if a sound that was supposed to appear in front center position of the sound field appeared to be coming slightly from the left (channel)... it's like a slight incoherence between the channels, and the left channel always seems to sound a bit more dynamic or detailed? than the right channel which sounds comparativelly kinda dead... but this could just be the impression caused by the volume mismatch.

 

This is not simple to describe.

I hope I'm making sense here... frown.gif

 

My amp is currently at Lake People instalations undergoing inspection, but they already informed me that they measured the channel imbalance to be within norms, nothing major, way below 0,5 dB...

But the difference I hear is most certainly of several dBs it's quite apparent in the higher frequencies...

I'm not sure if they tested it at 1000Hz tone only though...

 

I don't get this channel imbalance from my other sources my PC integrated HP-out nor my Sansa Clip+, so it seems to be a real issue with my V100...

 

Note that this is not the usual low volume channel imbalance, this is omnipresent regardless of how loud the sound/volume knob position is.

And it's always the left physical channel of the headphone that sounds louder.

Even if I reverse channels through software (foobar2000, for example) and swap channels in my head it's the left channel of the headphone that sounds louder, regardless of being routed the left or right channel stereo signal from software.

 

I'de like to ask if anyone has noticed this behavior with their amps Violectric or not?

Is this a normal occurence with amps?

What could possibly be causing this issue on my V100?

AFAIK the previous owner didn't mess within the amp, but could this be caused by DC coupling issues or incosistency between the opamps/transistors used for each channel?

 

Any help or clarification would be much apprecciated.

post #2209 of 2655

well, it might be your ears, hearing, that are imbalanced

 

mine are a terrible match, but i really notice it only with sine swipes tests

 

to check your ears, use your usual setup and just wear the headphone normally, and then wear them backward, meaning left earcup on right ear and right earcup on left ear

 

if the imbalance is always on the same side, regardless if wearing the headphones normally or backwards, it's your ears that are unmatched

 

use some signal generator and a sine sweep tone for test, something like this http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/tone/tone.php
 


Edited by roskodan - 4/18/13 at 4:27am
post #2210 of 2655

^ If your amp is with Lake People and they say it is OK, then I don't think there is much more that can be said.  What you are hearing is not normal for Violectric, or other headphone amps from what little I know.  Do you get this imbalance with other headphones?  Maybe you need to consult an audiologist and get your hearing checked . . . just a thought . . .
 

post #2211 of 2655

I get this imbalance on any headphone connected to the amp.

 

I think I didn't make myself quite clear:

 

On any headphone connected on the V100, the left physical channel of the headphone itself, not my ears, is always louder than the right channel of the headphone.

If I hear a pink noise tone or a sinus sweep (I do this often to test all my headphones) with the headphone channels swapped on my head then it will sound louder on my right ear, if in normal position it will be louder on my left ear. Same with music.

 

My hearing is not perfectly simetrical, I have more high frequency perception on my left ear than on the right, but the imbalance is detected on both ears the same way.

 

It's not my ears and it's not my headphones, I've figured that out before sending the amp to Lake People.

They still didn't definitelly say that the amp is fully OK, they only mentioned one channel imbalance test but there could be other things for them to check, it's still under testing until they contact me again.

But, yeah I see how anyone other than Lake People could have little to say...

I was just hoping that someone knowledgeable could chime in with possibilities, or at least to know if anyone has experienced this issue...

post #2212 of 2655

once one of my xlr cables had a fase conductor shorting with the shield and the level on that channel was a lot lower than on the other
 

post #2213 of 2655

I forgot to mention that I only use the RCA inputs, haven't tested XLRs yet.

But with different sources and different interconnects to the RCA inputs the imbalance remains...

post #2214 of 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

I get this imbalance on any headphone connected to the amp.

 

I think I didn't make myself quite clear:

 

On any headphone connected on the V100, the left physical channel of the headphone itself, not my ears, is always louder than the right channel of the headphone.

If I hear a pink noise tone or a sinus sweep (I do this often to test all my headphones) with the headphone channels swapped on my head then it will sound louder on my right ear, if in normal position it will be louder on my left ear. Same with music.

 

My hearing is not perfectly simetrical, I have more high frequency perception on my left ear than on the right, but the imbalance is detected on both ears the same way.

 

It's not my ears and it's not my headphones, I've figured that out before sending the amp to Lake People.

They still didn't definitelly say that the amp is fully OK, they only mentioned one channel imbalance test but there could be other things for them to check, it's still under testing until they contact me again.

But, yeah I see how anyone other than Lake People could have little to say...

I was just hoping that someone knowledgeable could chime in with possibilities, or at least to know if anyone has experienced this issue...

 

I will be interested to know what type of music you listen to? 

post #2215 of 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

I forgot to mention that I only use the RCA inputs, haven't tested XLRs yet.

But with different sources and different interconnects to the RCA inputs the imbalance remains...


what pre gain settings did you use on the amp

 

maybe u mismatched the dip switch configuration for the right and left channel, set it to R-6 L+6 instead of R-6 L-6, to match, or something like that

post #2216 of 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

I will be interested to know what type of music you listen to? 

 

Pretty much everything Electronica, Rock, Classical, Electroacustic, Folk, Vocal, Jazz, everything...

The imbalance is noticeable with everything, but with some IDM (Autechre) it's particularly noticeable how the center image is shifted to the headphone's left channel...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskodan View Post


what pre gain settings did you use on the amp

 

maybe u mismatched the dip switch configuration for the right and left channel, set it to R-6 L+6 instead of R-6 L-6, to match, or something like that

 

Nope, always set the Pregain switches correctly and sent the amp with the pregain settings I mostly use, -6 dB for both channels.

I've verified the imbalance to be present with any pregain setting select.

I do suspect that it might be something related with the Pregain settings circuitry inside the amp because the imbalance is very consistent and always the same, but I don't really know...

post #2217 of 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

 

Pretty much everything Electronica, Rock, Classical, Electroacustic, Folk, Vocal, Jazz, everything...

The imbalance is noticeable with everything, but with some IDM (Autechre) it's particularly noticeable how the center image is shifted to the headphone's left channel...

 

 

I asked as a lot of recordings were biased to be louder on the left channel for the benefit of vinyl and turntables...I hear a slight shift to the left also but not as severe as you appear to hear it....

post #2218 of 2655

I have had many amps and dacs that I loved initially but for one reason or another I sold.  

But what makes the v200/v800 combo a keeper is that:

a. It is revealing

b. But also musical

c. Finally, it's versatile. It pairs well with all the headphones I have.  

 

Having all three is very hard to find. biggrin.gif

post #2219 of 2655

Well, nevermind about my issue, Lake People just informed me that they found no problems at all with my amp, it's just fine...

So I guess it has to be something else, I just don't see what it can be, though...

It would be very bad luck if all the interconnects I have are busted somehow...

I'll just wait for it to arrive and see.

post #2220 of 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

 

I asked as a lot of recordings were biased to be louder on the left channel for the benefit of vinyl and turntables...I hear a slight shift to the left also but not as severe as you appear to hear it....

 

I do indeed have alot of 60/70's Jazz recordings that have a very weird image shift to the left or to the right with some instruments (Conquistator from Cecil Taylor comes to my mind) but my issue is present with everything I hear.

But on these recording the shift is much more severe than the imbalance I heard with everything.

The omnipresent imbalance I heard is not at all severe, it's almost subtle and could pass unnoticed if I wasn't listening critically for imbalances as I usually do.

But should be very noticeable for anyone with discerning ears, I was literally shocked when I thought to have pinpointed the amp as the source of the problem...

I'm aliviated to know that it's not the V100, but frustrated without knowing the source of the problem yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp