Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp - Page 119

post #1771 of 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamike View Post

I just sent him an email and thanks for the vendor. Any hd 800's owners out there who would like to comment on the v200 synergy or give a small review. Thanks 

 

There is no question that the V200 + HD 800 is a great combination, especially with balanced inputs from a balanced DAC

post #1772 of 2629

Yes, a great combo but against most other opinions i didn't find the balanced inputs as good, i liked it better with my RCA's and returned my XLR cables after extensive a/bing.

The v200 is warm yet detailed, thus a perfect storm for the HD800.

post #1773 of 2629
dallan, could you elaborate more what is it that you don't like with the balance connection? brighter? grainier? I am curious. Thanks.
post #1774 of 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

dallan, could you elaborate more what is it that you don't like with the balance connection? brighter? grainier? I am curious. Thanks.

It was a while back, i just think i lost detail and gave a flatter sound.  I was very surprised because i was told by several people that it would improve the sound.  I have pretty good rca's though.  The xrl's were the best i could buy at guitar center, they were around a hundred bucks i think.  My rca's are over two hundred but i wasn't attached to them and thought the balanced would absolutely outperform the unbalanced.  I a/bed a lot for three days and i just couldn't get to the point where I could deal with the sound quality drop.  You can flip the switch and make rca out if you go in balanced and i wanted that configuration to run other amps sometimes/more flexibility.  Oh well.

post #1775 of 2629

The XLR and RCA inputs of V200 from Audio-Gd NFB-10 were sonically indistinguishable to me

post #1776 of 2629

Thanks dallan, 9791, that's like what I experience as well with other amp owned by friend of mine.

 

In a 10 minutes impression though, it gives brighter, larger but flatter soundstage, just like what you said, albeit I didn't really pay attention to detail though, it could be that it has slightly more detail but that could be due to brighter sound signature.

I could have tried in longer time, but I just leave it as I didn't hear anything that made me wanted to try more.

 

I hear more difference when I swapped by RCA cable though.

post #1777 of 2629
The V200 really NEEDS an excellent back-end to perform to its best: Powercords, RCA cables.. Etc.

It is insane how it improved when I've switched my RCA cables to the Transparent MusicLink Plus MM2 - mids gained further clarity that it is eerily real now, bass is thunderous and at times I cringe, fearing the drivers on my headphones will tear from the vibration!

Violectric V200 is truly loads of fun! Surprising how transparent the V200 can be to show equipments hooked up to it.
Edited by qawsedrf - 10/22/12 at 7:06pm
post #1778 of 2629

It's interesting to know what people from Violectric recommend - RCA or XLR connections.

I have a balanced DAC. If I use RCA cables the signal will be converted from balanced to unbalanced in the DAC.If I use XLR cables the balanced signal will be converted in the amp. I know the balanced cables are better way to  tranasmit the signal but I don't know if the chips used to make balanced to unbalaned signal inV200 are better than these in mu Weiss DAC202U... :)

post #1779 of 2629
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post

It's interesting to know what people from Violectric recommend - RCA or XLR connections.

I have a balanced DAC. If I use RCA cables the signal will be converted from balanced to unbalanced in the DAC.If I use XLR cables the balanced signal will be converted in the amp. I know the balanced cables are better way to  tranasmit the signal but I don't know if the chips used to make balanced to unbalaned signal inV200 are better than these in mu Weiss DAC202U... :)

 

They generally say use whatever works best for your setup - it probably depends more on your DAC than the V200. 

post #1780 of 2629
from what i can see Violectric uses quite a number of Jamicon capacitor, whether it's in v100/v200/v800. but it seems that most people in the audio community aviods Jamicons caps. so why does violectric amp still sounds so great? i wonder!
post #1781 of 2629

So are there any updates on their new Balanced headphone amps?

post #1782 of 2629
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtalker View Post

from what i can see Violectric uses quite a number of Jamicon capacitor, whether it's in v100/v200/v800. but it seems that most people in the audio community aviods Jamicons caps. so why does violectric amp still sounds so great? i wonder!

 

 

Meh, Violectric isn't really the type of company to use boutique parts like that. The "audio community" frequently makes baseless assumptions about all types of things, including caps. 

 

Violectric could have used almost any brand they wanted (within reason of course) and these are what they chose. I can't argue with the end result though I'm sure someone, somewhere, would replace them all with expensive options and call it a massive improvement. People do that all the time and in fact whole businesses have sprung up based around the concept. You as a consumer sort of need to make up your own mind as to how much you think this matters. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

So are there any updates on their new Balanced headphone amps?

 

 

I just sent an email the other day to inquire about that. I'll report if I hear anything (assuming I'm allowed to share it). 

post #1783 of 2629
Is it OK to use my v200 sitting on its side? I'm making sure that the side is protected and the amp is getting air. It saves me space at the office but I'm not sure if this could cause any issues.
post #1784 of 2629
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by autarch1 View Post

Is it OK to use my v200 sitting on its side? I'm making sure that the side is protected and the amp is getting air. It saves me space at the office but I'm not sure if this could cause any issues.

I don't see why not. There's nothing inside that can rattle around, so go for it!
post #1785 of 2629

How long does it typically take to get the V200 in the States after ordering?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp