Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post

Here's some lengthy impressions vs the HD600.

This review is copy/pasted in at least six major website, it's hard to miss it. The fact that the hd800 is tested straight out of an ipod is questionable.
 

 

post #62 of 187

Scroll down a ways. Tried to link one of the comments, guess it didn't work out.

post #63 of 187

So with a proper DAC/Amp, how much less detailed are these than HD 650's? I'm assuming they're better than Senn HD 280 Pros at least?

post #64 of 187
There's a lot of talk about modifications there, so beware of that.
post #65 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post

Scroll down a ways. Tried to link one of the comments, guess it didn't work out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post

There's a lot of talk about modifications there, so beware of that.

 

The reviewer found at first the hd600 & srh940 pretty similar, except the hd600 having less treble & being more warm & with more bass. At first he said he preferred the srh940, even for the soundstage. One detail, is that he said that the E9  , in the E7/E9  combo makes the sound much better,  which I  found suspicious (I  didn't notice significant improvement from amping on my xonar stx ). Finally after "defoaming" the hd600, he said he preferred the hd600 at the end.

 

post #66 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

So with a proper DAC/Amp, how much less detailed are these than HD 650's? I'm assuming they're better than Senn HD 280 Pros at least?



I guess you mean to say "how much more detailed". If these truly are an upgrade to the 701, in those terms, I think it's safe to assume the 650 will be trumped. :) 

 

I've done extensive listening with HD600 vs. K701 and, well disregarding preferences to different tonalities, the 701 was much clearer and smoother to listen to. I don't listen to much vocal music, but hearing each player play to the note was much easier with the 701. 

post #67 of 187

GAAHH I don't know what I want, SRH940's or AKG K702/Q701's.

 

Decisions, decisions.... then comes along DT880/600 and HD600.... -.-

post #68 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

GAAHH I don't know what I want, SRH940's or AKG K702/Q701's.

 

Decisions, decisions.... then comes along DT880/600 and HD600.... -.-


Heya,

 

I directly compared the SRH940 to the K701 in a review, link below.

 

To summarize: I preferred the SRH940 (and why).

 

Very best,

post #69 of 187

> I guess you mean to say "how much more detailed". If these truly are an upgrade to the 701, in those terms, I think it's safe to assume the 650 will be trumped. :) 

 

Unless I have the terms wrong, more detailed means the SRH-940 is more precisely resolving, faster/tighter response, etc. (coloration differences aside)? If so that sounds like a good deal :)


Edited by ac500 - 9/5/11 at 11:10pm
post #70 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post




Heya,

 

I directly compared the SRH940 to the K701 in a review, link below.

 

To summarize: I preferred the SRH940 (and why).

 

Very best,


Ok , this can be summarized with two words, veil & soundstage. I  think it's the constant comparison between the srh940 & the k701 that made you too much aware of the veil. When you wear colored glass, there's a time you get used to the color, and  you are not anymore aware that "there's a color". I  guess this would be the same thing with the k701, I can't believe that the veil is that bad.

 

Just a question: are the high of the k701 more "crystalline"  ? I  mean which handles better  for instance the sound of "bar chimes" or "wind chimes" .

I  guess the right word is "sparkle" ? Like video below:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #71 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Just a question: are the high of the k701 more "crystalline"  ? I  mean which handles better  for instance the sound of "bar chimes" or "wind chimes" .

I  guess the right word is "sparkle" ? Like video below:


Heya,

 

I felt both headphones handled highs very well, very detailed, very forward. I found the K701 to simply sound too distant for things that were not meant to be distant, like they were in a fog. Neither had sibilance. If I had to say which one had more sparkle, it would be the SRH940. The degree of more though is small. Again, let me stress, they are not hugely different headphones, they are very, very similar. And the differences I'm referring to are quite small. The only thing that is definitely not small to me was the sound staging making it sound distant and "over there" compared to a sound stage that sounded like you were up close when you were supposed to, and "over there" when you were supposed to hear something "over there."

 

Very best,

 

post #72 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

> I guess you mean to say "how much more detailed". If these truly are an upgrade to the 701, in those terms, I think it's safe to assume the 650 will be trumped. :) 

 

Unless I have the terms wrong, more detailed means the SRH-940 is more precisely resolving, faster/tighter response, etc. (coloration differences aside)? If so that sounds like a good deal :)



Well, at least that's what the 701's were compared to the HD600 and 650 (from a brief listen for kicks)... I have my doubts that they could trump the 701's, but we'll see. Don't have either, but will organize a small comparison :)

 

And regarding the "veil" in 701's, I don't think there is much :) 

 

They're even faster than the T1's (and at least on par with LCD-2 if not better) to settle, at least according to post #89 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots/75#post_7733432

Very interesting read that thread. Recommended to anyone.

 

Whatever MalVeauX is describing, I wouldn't call it "veil". Something perhaps to do with the soundstage. The Shure's must have more "action" up there, so it might be that it's just "ringing" in some frequencies to appear more accurate. Rings just enough for a frequency to become more apparent, but not distort or ruin the perceived accuracy.  ... Just speculating.


Edited by electropop - 9/6/11 at 7:13am
post #73 of 187

Heya,

 

Veil is often used when describing Sennheisers, referring to the highs. This is definitely not what I'm trying to convey. I'm describing the sound stage essentially, because everything I listen to on the K701 sounds distant, away, over there, on one side of the room, or like there's a fog between me and it. It's unnatural to me as not all recordings were meant to sound like that, and some things are supposed to sound intimate. It's the only real fault I could find with an otherwise excellent headphone that bothered me. Sound stage is good and all, but too much of it I found takes away just like too little of it takes away.

 

Very best,

post #74 of 187


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post



 

 

The reviewer found at first the hd600 & srh940 pretty similar, except the hd600 having less treble & being more warm & with more bass. At first he said he preferred the srh940, even for the soundstage. One detail, is that he said that the E9  , in the E7/E9  combo makes the sound much better,  which I  found suspicious (I  didn't notice significant improvement from amping on my xonar stx ). Finally after "defoaming" the hd600, he said he preferred the hd600 at the end.

 


The guy that talked about the hd600 was me. That set of impressions there wasn't updated with my last few posts on headphiles.org. I ended up feeling that to get less of a shock to the ears when doing a direct comparison, I had to take out the foam of the hd600s. The hd600s sounded best with the foam off only after previously listening to the shures without resting but if I listen to the hd600 after several minutes rest time, they still sound best to me when the foam is on.

 

As for the similarity between the hd600 and the shures, They are not similar at all when speaking about tonal balance. What I was referring to was the feel that they were of the same house sound. Its as if the shures are an eq'd hd600 to me like the hd650s seem like an eq'd hd600 going towards a different direction. They both share that same soft laidback feel that is unique to senns.

 

Oh, about the e9... Yes, I find the shures to sound much better out of the e7/e9 combo vs the e7 alone when used as an all in one dacamp unit. The e7 alone sounds washed out with the shures for me. The e9 as an amp when used with the e7 as a straight dac(docked on the e9) adds some needed punch to the shures.

 

post #75 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post



This review is copy/pasted in at least six major website, it's hard to miss it. The fact that the hd800 is tested straight out of an ipod is questionable.
 

 



Oh I think you are talking about Dalethorn. Hes the guy that reviewed the Shures against the hd800. I am a different guy. I commented on the post comparing against my dt48e and hd600.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread