Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 187

I was watching a few scenes from some blu-ray movies, and was again startled by how good these are. On one scene from Tron where there is some thumping bass in the background (each beat sounded like a fast electronic sound transition from a low mid tone to a deep bass tone), I was surprised at how clear it sounded. I switched to my HD 650's, and the beat sounded like a muddy thump in comparison. Back again to the SRH-940's, and the thump was crystal clear and deeper. So now bass in addition to mids and highs sound notably better on these...

 

I don't know if I'm going crazy or what, but I can't deny what I'm hearing. I still like my HD 650's for comfort, for some songs which have too much treble, and for overall smooth zero-fatigue listening. But I am continually being more impressed by these 940's the more I listen to them. It's not just the highs (which I expected to be better), and that's what surprises me. 


Edited by ac500 - 9/9/11 at 1:58am
post #122 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post


Compared to a good reference headphone (HD800?) the 1350 has a huge hollow sound in the middle and big dip in the uppers below 10 khz. I would not characterize it as a high fidelity headphone.

But having said that, I do understand that a lot of the headphone interest here is not high fidelity, so it's not necessarily negative, depending on the context.


With all due respect you're comparing a 300 dollar mobile headphone to a 1500 top tier hifi headphone. Compared to the HD800 90% of headphones out on the market will fail in direct comparison. The HD 800 should be pitted against cans such as T1's LCD 2's and GS1000i's and PS 1000's. The DT 1350 should be pitted against cans such as the P5 HD25 i-ii and ATH-ESW9A. No matter how much the technology evolves in the future a mobile headphone will never outdo a full fledged full sized hifi headphone. Cans such as the DT1350 should be seen as exactly what they were meant to be which is good sounding mobile headphones and no more. I respect your opinion and please don't think I'm being a over zealous fan boy trying to start a flame war but come on now let's try and keep things in better perspective.

 

post #123 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post




With all due respect you're comparing a 300 dollar mobile headphone to a 1500 top tier hifi headphone. Compared to the HD800 90% of headphones out on the market will fail in direct comparison. The HD 800 should be pitted against cans such as T1's LCD 2's and GS1000i's and PS 1000's. The DT 1350 should be pitted against cans such as the P5 HD25 i-ii and ATH-ESW9A. No matter how much the technology evolves in the future a mobile headphone will never outdo a full fledged full sized hifi headphone. Cans such as the DT1350 should be seen as exactly what they were meant to be which is good sounding mobile headphones and no more. I respect your opinion and please don't think I'm being a over zealous fan boy trying to start a flame war but come on now let's try and keep things in better perspective.

 

Says who? I never heard that that was a requirement. For me, this is not a "fair" contest or a game. This is about "how does it sound compared to perfect" (or near perfect), warts and all. If someone wants to know how something sounds, I would compare it to something that's flat or neutral or whatever. Then they are getting some kind of reference quality information.

With throw-away cans in the sub-$100 range, then maybe I would do the low-ball comparison. But not for $300 I wouldn't. That's serious cash for a lot of people.
post #124 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I was watching a few scenes from some blu-ray movies, and was again startled by how good these are. On one scene from Tron where there is some thumping bass in the background (each beat sounded like a fast electronic sound transition from a low mid tone to a deep bass tone), I was surprised at how clear it sounded. I switched to my HD 650's, and the beat sounded like a muddy thump in comparison. Back again to the SRH-940's, and the thump was crystal clear and deeper. So now bass in addition to mids and highs sound notably better on these...

 

I don't know if I'm going crazy or what, but I can't deny what I'm hearing. I still like my HD 650's for comfort, for some songs which have too much treble, and for overall smooth zero-fatigue listening. But I am continually being more impressed by these 940's the more I listen to them. It's not just the highs (which I expected to be better), and that's what surprises me. 

I would like to know what magic they are doing to get this sound in a $300 headphone. I just have a feeling the princess carriage is going to turn into a pumpkin soon. Or maybe the mfrs of the more expensive sets will start making them in China.
post #125 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post




With all due respect you're comparing a 300 dollar mobile headphone to a 1500 top tier hifi headphone. Compared to the HD800 90% of headphones out on the market will fail in direct comparison. The HD 800 should be pitted against cans such as T1's LCD 2's and GS1000i's and PS 1000's. The DT 1350 should be pitted against cans such as the P5 HD25 i-ii and ATH-ESW9A. No matter how much the technology evolves in the future a mobile headphone will never outdo a full fledged full sized hifi headphone. Cans such as the DT1350 should be seen as exactly what they were meant to be which is good sounding mobile headphones and no more. I respect your opinion and please don't think I'm being a over zealous fan boy trying to start a flame war but come on now let's try and keep things in better perspective.

 

Says who? I never heard that that was a requirement. For me, this is not a "fair" contest or a game. This is about "how does it sound compared to perfect" (or near perfect), warts and all. If someone wants to know how something sounds, I would compare it to something that's flat or neutral or whatever. Then they are getting some kind of reference quality information.

With throw-away cans in the sub-$100 range, then maybe I would do the low-ball comparison. But not for $300 I wouldn't. That's serious cash for a lot of people.
Apologies for quoting myself (is there an edit?) - not that your suggestion isn't legit, so I would welcome more opinion on this, like what is the range where it's reasonable to compare? And is it always by price? The $300 Shure compares very well to the HD-800, and the DT1350 is also $300.
post #126 of 187

hey ya'll!

 

I just got the srh 940 2 weeks ago.. I also had a chance to compare it against its smaller brother, which is the srh 440. And I also previously bought a Senheiser hd 598 and returned it the next day. The 598 seems to have a less natural sound compared to the 940. The 598's mids definitely doesn't compare to the 940. The Shures are truly clear, crisp, natural sounding.. 

 

IF YOU TRULY want to hear an EARGASM sound from the 940 listen to take 6 - grace which for some reason can't be found in youtube. But you can hear a demo of this at itunes at their "The Standard" album. Also check out "What's going on" same artist. You could definitely hear a very clear bass thumping human sound.. ;)

 

Also, if that doesn't convince ya'll and appreciate this headphone more, check out Zack Hemsey's "Mind heist" an Inception score which is found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJqicM6x84

 

now this will blow your brains away... if this youtube version is not clear enough. download this in itunes or find a FLAC version!

that should suffice. 

 

Goodluck and happy listening ;)

post #127 of 187

All of those mentioned songs are available in high quality on grooveshark.com (I'm not even sure how they can provide so much for free... I think it's basically the same as youtube with music, legally)

 

These are definitely nice headphones :). Even if I find open headphones sounding better than these, these will probably always be my headphones for situations where they need to be closed.


Edited by ac500 - 9/11/11 at 11:45am
post #128 of 187

Wow, very impressive, I'll show this to my little brother who always browses through youtube lol!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

All of those mentioned songs are available in high quality on grooveshark.com (I'm not even sure how they can provide so much for free... I think it's basically the same as youtube with music, legally)

 

These are definitely nice headphones :). Even if I find open headphones sounding better than these, these will probably always be my headphones for situations where they need to be closed.



 

post #129 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post




Heya,


If you like the SRH940, and really want to get some qualities of the HD600, then you should check out the HE-300.

 

Very best,

 

This one is for anyone...
If you combined an HD-600 and an SRH-940, would it be similar to a K601?

I always felt the K601 was like a mix of a K702 and an HD-600, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about...

 

If you combined any two headphones, what would the SRH-940 sound like?

What headphone more closely resembles it's signature? The K702 with smoother treble?

Does the SRH-940 have the detail of the K702 or more (hope so). Is the SRH-940 fuller sounding than the K702?

 

post #130 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I was watching a few scenes from some blu-ray movies, and was again startled by how good these are. On one scene from Tron where there is some thumping bass in the background (each beat sounded like a fast electronic sound transition from a low mid tone to a deep bass tone), I was surprised at how clear it sounded. I switched to my HD 650's, and the beat sounded like a muddy thump in comparison. Back again to the SRH-940's, and the thump was crystal clear and deeper. So now bass in addition to mids and highs sound notably better on these...

 

I don't know if I'm going crazy or what, but I can't deny what I'm hearing. I still like my HD 650's for comfort, for some songs which have too much treble, and for overall smooth zero-fatigue listening. But I am continually being more impressed by these 940's the more I listen to them. It's not just the highs (which I expected to be better), and that's what surprises me. 


Comparing an HD-650 and a SRH-940 for me would only end up in frustration. IMO it's like comparing Apples to Oranges isn't it (if it really does sound anything like a K702!)?

 

I always felt that the HD-650 was meant to be fairly relaxing and not meant to be some sort of detail monster. I found it fairly forgiving of source quality with stock cable, but this changes a LOT with better amps and cables of course.

HD-650 is a headphone that seems counter-productive for me to over-analyze.

 

post #131 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post



This one is for anyone...
If you combined an HD-600 and an SRH-940, would it be similar to a K601?

I always felt the K601 was like a mix of a K702 and an HD-600, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about...

 

If you combined any two headphones, what would the SRH-940 sound like?

What headphone more closely resembles it's signature? The K702 with smoother treble?

Does the SRH-940 have the detail of the K702 or more (hope so). Is the SRH-940 fuller sounding than the K702?

 


Heya,

 

Here's a comparison of the K701 to the SRH940.

 

I've not heard a K601, but one thing stands out in my mind and that is bass, as the HD600 is quite capable and it's a full body sound. Some consider the treble of the HD600 to be brighter than the SRH940, but the mids of the SRH940 definitely stand out in the sound signature quite a bit more. I'd have to try the K601 sometime, it's hard to find. I compared the K701 and SRH940 directly simply because they are quite similar, scary similar. The K701, in summary, had a sound stage that was too big even for some musics that I felt took away from the sound and made it feel less musical and more inorganic. Like being in a fog. The SRH940 was more musical, has a great sound stage, all the detail. They actually have a similar bass, both very capable of low notes, simply without an over whelming reverb, though I felt the SRH940 had a little edge on bass (likely due to being closed simply). Now, that's a K701, I've not had a K702 yet, so I can't say for that particular headphone, so if the bass is a little more, it may be the same or more than the SRH940 if that's the case in terms of full body.

 

Very best,

 

post #132 of 187

Yeah pretty much, they're too different to compare I suppose, other than sound signatures. The 650 is definitely relaxing and soft, and for that it's very nice. It's also forgiving of bad recordings with subtle static or piercing high tones.

post #133 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post




Heya,

 

Here's a comparison of the K701 to the SRH940.

 

I've not heard a K601, but one thing stands out in my mind and that is bass, as the HD600 is quite capable and it's a full body sound. Some consider the treble of the HD600 to be brighter than the SRH940, but the mids of the SRH940 definitely stand out in the sound signature quite a bit more. I'd have to try the K601 sometime, it's hard to find. I compared the K701 and SRH940 directly simply because they are quite similar, scary similar. The K701, in summary, had a sound stage that was too big even for some musics that I felt took away from the sound and made it feel less musical and more inorganic. Like being in a fog. The SRH940 was more musical, has a great sound stage, all the detail. They actually have a similar bass, both very capable of low notes, simply without an over whelming reverb, though I felt the SRH940 had a little edge on bass (likely due to being closed simply). Now, that's a K701, I've not had a K702 yet, so I can't say for that particular headphone, so if the bass is a little more, it may be the same or more than the SRH940 if that's the case in terms of full body.

 

Very best,

 


Never has a closed headphone had better bass-articulation than a proper open one. If "more" or a longer ringing bass is better for you, you should state is as such. Better is a bit open-ended in this case... I just had to grasp this since I haven't heard "better" bass from many cans as the 701. 

Also, I wouldn't keep my hopes up with the 702, it's basically the same headphone. If anything, from my comparison it had slightly less bass. But that might've been due to production variety or my imagination rather than two different designs.

 


Edited by electropop - 9/11/11 at 3:07pm
post #134 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by electropop View Post




Never has a closed headphone had better bass-articulation than a proper open one. If "more" or a longer ringing bass is better for you, you should state is as such. Better is a bit open-ended in this case... I just had to grasp this since I haven't heard "better" bass from many cans as the 701. 

Also, I wouldn't keep my hopes up with the 702, it's basically the same headphone. If anything, from my comparison it had slightly less bass. But that might've been due to production variety rather than two different designs, or my imagination. 

 


Uh oh, it's the bass police!

 

Maybe you should understand an opinion is an opinion. And you haven't heard every headphone in the world, nor are you the authority for the human race on "never has a closed headphone had..." and "proper open one."

 

tongue_smile.gif <--- See, jesting. I hope you are too.

 

Very best,

post #135 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Uh oh, it's the bass police!

 

Maybe you should understand an opinion is an opinion. And you haven't heard every headphone in the world, nor are you the authority for the human race on "never has a closed headphone had..." and "proper open one."

 

tongue_smile.gif <--- See, jesting. I hope you are too.

 

Very best,


I'm waiting that electropop test the srh940, meanwhile he can say whatever he wants. For me the srh940 is as as  good as an open headphone, except for the soundstage.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread