- 2,639 Posts. Joined 2/2010
- Location: Vancouver, BC or Seoul, RoKorea
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Solved] Help with high-end portable rig? Last post on 8/8/12 at 11:57pm in Portable Source Gear
- What do you recommend for a portable Flac Player/amplifier combination? Last post on 10/24/12 at 11:00am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Do you need an audiophile grade MP3 player when you already have an audiophile grade portable amp? Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:50am in Portable Source Gear
- Best sounding portable source? Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:17am in Portable Source Gear
- If you could.... Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:31pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 49post #721 of 162610/20/11 at 9:44amIt'll be interesting to see the CLAS incorporating the Kobiconn Iris jack just to match the MKIII. Funny because it'll match the SR71B just as well.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #722 of 162610/20/11 at 4:05pmpost #723 of 162610/20/11 at 4:20pmpost #724 of 162610/20/11 at 10:47pm
After testing, I conclude that I prefer the sound of SINGLE ENDED INPUT on the SR71B, directly from the CLAS, over the CLAS->DB2->Balanced input on SR71B. The sound on the fully balanced setup is noticeably thinner and the bass is weaker, and overly bright for me. The sound of CLAS -> SR71B -> balanced out to LCD2 is just right for me. This may be due to the Moon Audio coaxial and balanced cables (silver?) used with addition of the DB2, but to avoid another derail, let's don't get into that. In general I kind of expected this as adding one more brick in the source chain would just add jitter anyways...post #725 of 162610/20/11 at 11:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by googleli
After testing, I conclude that I prefer the sound of SINGLE ENDED INPUT on the SR71B, directly from the CLAS, over the CLAS->DB2->Balanced input on SR71B. The sound on the fully balanced setup is noticeably thinner and the bass is weaker, and overly bright for me. The sound of CLAS -> SR71B -> balanced out to LCD2 is just right for me. This may be due to the Moon Audio coaxial and balanced cables (silver?) used with addition of the DB2, but to avoid another derail, let's don't get into that. In general I kind of expected this as adding one more brick in the source chain would just add jitter anyways...
So you're saying when you went with a balanced connection you found the sound more analytical? I'm surprised a single ended input would give you a fuller bodied sound. Anyone else experience anything similar in other gear?post #726 of 162610/20/11 at 11:49pm
Yes, exactly what I experienced - just tried the same combinations with my ES5. Conclusion is the same. As I said it may be due to the addition of cables connecting the CLAS and DB2, and also the balanced to balanced IC between the DB2 and the SR71B, but let's not go into that. Next week I will bring in my Squeezebox touch from home and compare its digital out against the CLAS digital out and see if that makes a difference.post #727 of 162610/21/11 at 12:05am
Have you tried swapping out the chips re low pass filter? The spares are reported to increase bass response.... I've been happy with my CLAS>DB-2>PB-2 set up for a while but I'll check for differences by going back to SE input and skipping the DB-2.post #728 of 162610/21/11 at 12:09ampost #729 of 162610/21/11 at 12:46am
It just goes to show that the CLAS DAC is no slouch. I wanted to upgrade to the SR71B as well, but decided to stick with the protector since I'll be using them with IEMs only and got no need for the additional power. The CLAS is indeed a game changer.post #730 of 162610/21/11 at 12:51amQuote:
Haven't I'm afraid. But may well do if I find the same results as you by going single ended into my PB-2
Edited by SpudHarris - 10/21/11 at 12:58ampost #731 of 162610/21/11 at 1:10ampost #732 of 162610/21/11 at 1:33am
These are my DIY cables. Both silver....
I have A/B'd and A/B'd since my last post and my findings are different. With the DB-2 in the equasion the sound is wider with more micro detail but no loss of fullness or bass response. This is again with my LCD-2 and ES5's. The differences are more noticeable with the ES5's for sure.
The CLAS single ended into the PB-2 is still fantastic and if I was one of those guys who had to justify the cost of including the DB-2 for the return it gives, I'd probably have a hard time. The differences are there by going fully balanced but they aren't massive to my ears...post #733 of 162610/21/11 at 1:42ampost #734 of 162610/21/11 at 11:00ampost #735 of 162610/21/11 at 11:01amQuote:
Which wire are you using? Just curious :PQuote:
Might help to contact some of the other DB2 - SR71B owners out there. Jalo has a DB1 for his SR71B. Maybe they can comment on how theirs changed the sound, and see if it corresponds to what you're hearing.
Edited by Girls Generation - 10/21/11 at 11:02am
- Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- HiFiMAN HM-801No reviews yet.
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 32 seconds ago
- › DNA Sonett 2 35 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 46 seconds ago
- › schiit vali 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 2 minutes ago
- › newb on the audiophile in Training circuit- need help, finding old... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K340 and perfect amplifying solution 3 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude