Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 111

post #1651 of 1663

Hi everyone,

 

I've just finished reading every post in this thread that discusses the Solo-R.

 

I would appreciate anyone's opinion as to whether or not there is a "better" solution than the Solo-R when my only purpose is to play 44/16 lossless files (streaming from TidalHiFi.com), going Coaxial out to a desktop DAC that does not have balanced inputs.

 

I've read about the Pure i-20, but I don't believe it offers the re-clocked asynchronous jitter-free advantage of the Solo-R.

 

Again, I'm primarily looking for an iDevice > SPDIF Coaxial Out converter.  Is the Solo-R the way to go?

 

Thanks!

 

Mike

post #1652 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

Hi everyone,

 

I've just finished reading every post in this thread that discusses the Solo-R.

 

I would appreciate anyone's opinion as to whether or not there is a "better" solution than the Solo-R when my only purpose is to play 44/16 lossless files (streaming from TidalHiFi.com), going Coaxial out to a desktop DAC that does not have balanced inputs.

 

I've read about the Pure i-20, but I don't believe it offers the re-clocked asynchronous jitter-free advantage of the Solo-R.

 

Again, I'm primarily looking for an iDevice > SPDIF Coaxial Out converter.  Is the Solo-R the way to go?

 

Thanks!

 

Mike

I don't even know what S/PDIF is, but...

 

-dB

• Digital S/PDIF output – acts as a digital converter – send decrypted audio to desktop DAC’s

 

-R

• Digital S/PDIF output

 

I would guess -R isn't any different from -dB in this respect.

 

If you want a -dB click below.

post #1653 of 1663

^ Thanks!  

 

I bought the Pure i-20 and I'm very pleased...

 

 

The Pure i-20 is rubber-banded to the marble slab of a re-purposed cheese slicer to act as ballast for a re-purposed iPad 3 with 30-pin connector.  :p
 

cfdf5d9a_Recliner_Rig2.jpeg

post #1654 of 1663

A couple questions/options regarding the Cypher Labs Algo Rhythm Solo db

 

1)Coming out of a RWA Imod into the db which is preferable for best SQ

a) 30 pin lod to USB

    or

b) 30 pin lod to Mini cable

 

Imod > CLA db > RSA Intruder/Dac > Balanced out to HP (fully balanced)

 

2) Stick with just RWA Imod

 

Imod . >.RSA Intruder/Dac > Balanced out to HP ( balanced out only)

 

Only way to utilize dac of Intruder, you have to go into usb of amp/dac, if you go in mini cable you by pass dac of amp.

 

Undecided which way to fly... Suggestions, thoughts.. Thanks

post #1655 of 1663

An RWA iModded iPod, does that mean it's an old Gen 5.5 (or was it Gen 5?) and older iPod? Would the CLAS support these older iPod generations?

 

A quote from their CLAS doc :-

 

http://www.cypherlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DB_Product_Booklet_12.24.12.pdf

 

"Newer devices coming on the market from Apple should also 
work. Older devices, such as first generation iTouch or older 
video iPod devices may yield unexpected results. However, 
behavior of Apple models not listed as supported may differ, 
especially in older models. We recommend against using any 
model older than those listed above"

 

As for Intruder, can one had a digital out of the iMod?

post #1656 of 1663
Ipod 5.5 generally dont work with usb dacs for idevices.
post #1657 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

An RWA iModded iPod, does that mean it's an old Gen 5.5 (or was it Gen 5?) and older iPod? Would the CLAS support these older iPod generations?

 

A quote from their CLAS doc :-

 

http://www.cypherlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DB_Product_Booklet_12.24.12.pdf

 

"Newer devices coming on the market from Apple should also 
work. Older devices, such as first generation iTouch or older 
video iPod devices may yield unexpected results. However, 
behavior of Apple models not listed as supported may differ, 
especially in older models. We recommend against using any 
model older than those listed above"

 

As for Intruder, can one had a digital out of the iMod?


After checking at apples site:

 

It sounds like my Imod  is an 5th generation  the last 3 digits are V9K

 

iPod (5th generation Late 2006)—also known as iPod with video or Fifth Generation iPod

You can distinguish the iPod (5th generation Late 2006) from the original iPod (5th generation) by the last three digits of the serial number. The iPod (5th generation Late 2006) serial number's last three digits will be one of the following: V9K, V9P, V9M, V9R, V9L, V9N, V9Q, V9S, WU9, WUA, WUB, WUC, and X3N. The Fifth Generation U2 Special Edition iPod (30 GB Late 2006) serial number's last three digits are W9G.

The iPod (5th generation) is a a hard drive-based iPod featuring a large, widescreen color display, a Click Wheel, and the capability of displaying photos and videos. Like iPod nano, it uses USB for syncing and comes in white and black.

 

What generation would you recommend to work with the CLAS, may have to sale mind, and pick up another.  I heard my generation are becoming very collectable

 

 

Thanks AnakChan really appreciated your input.


Edited by SEABREEZE - 3/10/15 at 8:21am
post #1658 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Ipod 5.5 generally dont work with usb dacs for idevices.


Appreciate also your comment ExpatinJapan 

post #1659 of 1663
My favorite so far is ipod Touch 5G with flacplayer app for idevice dac/amps.
post #1660 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEABREEZE View Post
 

 

 

 

What generation would you recommend to work with the CLAS, may have to sale mind, and pick up another.  I heard my generation are becoming very collectable

 

 

 

7th gen Classic would get you 160 gig of storage, and relatively inexpensive.  Bear in mind, the iPod merely acts as a music transport when connected to a CLAS.


Edited by fiascogarcia - 3/11/15 at 5:17pm
post #1661 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascogarcia View Post
 

7th gen Classic would get you 160 gig of storage, and relatively inexpensive.  Bear in mind, the iPod merely acts as a music transport when connected to a CLAS.

 

& the CLAS can act as a DDC too. A neat little feature that's hardly talked about :D.

post #1662 of 1663

Expat, fiascogarcia, and anakchan, appreciare your thoughts.....!!

post #1663 of 1663

How does the solo compare to a other usb-powered dacs like the Centrance dacport lx? I'm surprised there hasn't been anyway who's done a comparison between portable battery powered dacs and usb powered dacs. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread