Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 75

post #1111 of 1647
Your post could not have come at a better time! Currently on holiday so doing much more listening and my two year old classic can hardly manage 4hours with my CLAS, ordering one of these!
post #1112 of 1647

                                     "UPDATE! DON'T BUY! sorry it doesn't work? read on"

 

cool! now you won't have to spend $500.00 + to -R efresh your CLAS rig! cuz that was the main reson for my getting the -R, 

 

I have had this sitting around for 3weeks? and I now just got around to checking it out to the point where I discovered that I can use it in my portable rig along with my CLAS, ggrrr, ugh! lol

 

sshhh we will keep it an upper CLAS secret so don't tell or post it to general iPod users, no one like those kinds of Head-Fiers anyways, yuk! lol, well I mean who would ever listen to to an iPod for the sake of just listening to music? when a more distinguished CLAS of audio fiers is out there, well I mean really associating with THOSE kinds of peoples, how repulsive! wink.gif, lol just kinding,

 

the Clas does really suck the juice out of an iPod, not any more! so for us or anyone with an iPod will really benefit from this, and for $8.00! what a steal! happy happy, x-mas is coming early this year, 368 days early! lol


Edited by ANDEROAN - 12/30/12 at 5:51am
post #1113 of 1647

This looks like an awesome solution for my original CLAS/ipod rig. One question, I have a 160 gb ipod classic. In the item description says that it is only compatible with 120 gb and 80 gb. Does it really mean it is not compatible with the 160 gb one? I mean, it is still an ipod classic

post #1114 of 1647

Guys, has someone actually tried this battery solution with the Classic and original CLAS combination? I tried something similar and it did not work. The original CLAS already outputs 5 volts but it denies the Classic permission to charge so the Classic does not. Putting a battery in the middle does not change that - at least it did not for me using a similar external battery. (It plugged into the Classic and the CLAS connected to the battery USB port.) The CLAS communicated successfully with the Classic through the battery's USB port but no charging took place.

post #1115 of 1647

                                                      "SORRY DON"T BUY?"

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf05 View Post

This looks like an awesome solution for my original CLAS/ipod rig. One question, I have a 160 gb ipod classic. In the item description says that it is only compatible with 120 gb and 80 gb. Does it really mean it is not compatible with the 160 gb one? I mean, it is still an ipod classic

 

this is what I was initially thinking? but for the $8.00 I took the chance and as you can see in the pics at the bottom on the last page it fits like a glove, I also got this one http://www.ebay.com/ itm/New-iLuv-Rechargeable-Battery-for-Your-iPod-with-video-55hr-Maximum-Play-time-/19076 2760616?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=81 PB0B FW2YvuXuWW%2Fx%2BfTJveE9U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc, which will fit with using the insert, so not certain as to the description, but yes either one will fit, so check out the iLuvs! 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Guys, has someone actually tried this battery solution with the Classic and original CLAS combination? I tried something similar and it did not work. The original CLAS already outputs 5 volts but it denies the Classic permission to charge so the Classic does not. Putting a battery in the middle does not change that - at least it did not for me using a similar external battery. (It plugged into the Classic and the CLAS connected to the battery USB port.) The CLAS communicated successfully with the Classic through the battery's USB port but no charging took place.

 

well when I hooked them up together, the iPod was registering as being charged, but I didn't think to look at it after I hooked the CLAS up to it? and I have been playing it for about 9 or so hours now? and the iPods battery is registering 50%? but isn't registering as being charged anymore? so I unhooked the CLAS from the battery and the iPod still doesn't register being charged? so I would say that it is doing it's job? and that the extra battery ran thru its juice? and it is now running off of the iPods battery?

 

but a very good ?, I will charge up the battery again and this time I will pay attention to those particulars,

 

from what I can guess at this point it looks very likely that the battery is a go, get 2 of them so you can just swap out with a fresh one all the time!

 

                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

                                                           UPDATE!!

 

well looks like it doesn't? Cooperpwc is right, 

 

with checking it out more, when I unhook the iPod from the battery, and the battery from the CLAS, shut off the iPod and then hook it up to the battery it registers as charging, and then when I hook it up to the CLAS it cuts out the charge to the iPod? huh? but it seems as if it extended the iPods battery life? but it ain't! frown.gif

 

so Cooperpwc's more astute observations are holding true. thanks Cooper I would hate to stear my Head-Fiers wrong, ggrr, shucks,

 

looks like all this will be is a unconvient, convient charger? so when you aren't listening to your music, you can unconviently unhook the CLAS, pop off the iPod and shut it off, and then rehook it to the battery so it can then start to charge you iPod? F(&%$%#! lol, darn,

 

oh well looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow when I get my new ACTUAL -R efreshed CLAS! I will THEN have the longer iPod play time that I ssooo much want! and not an uber nice suedo fix to the life sucking wonderful power hog CLAS, that drains my iPod so awesomely well! aahhh one could dream and assume I suppose? 

 

but thanks Cooperpwc! for you super helpful/dream crushing info,wink_face.gif lol, but I am glad not too many others went down this road, only to find out what you already know!

 

sorry Ianmedium, maybe you can cancel your order if you already put one in,

 

I put headers on the other posts so as to not mislead any others? ggrrr ugh! lol, next time I think about a fix like this I might pose it to all of my peeps here on the H-Fi!


Edited by ANDEROAN - 12/30/12 at 5:55am
post #1116 of 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDEROAN View Post

but thanks Cooperpwc! for you super helpful/dream crushing info,wink_face.gif lol, 

 

You are welcome. That is one of my specialities.  :-)

 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I also tried to solve this problem many months back but I couldn't. 

post #1117 of 1647
Shoot! Luckily I did not place an order as I saw it was not compatible with the 160!
post #1118 of 1647
Thanks for the info cooperpwc and anderoan! I bought one anyways because I have a 5g ipod video as well and the extra battery should come handy for such low price.
post #1119 of 1647

well I got the -R in yesterday, and from initial listening ?'?, not all that certain about its new sound, so unless the -R CLAS needs burning in? I will be sending it back to Todd?

 

there is something to the soundstage that changes beteween the 2 of them? seems like it is in the mids? the -Rs seems recessed? the original has a more fuller sounding mid section, the -R has a taller SS, where the original CLAS goes deeper, and is also has a more warmer/balanced sound to it, the -R seems to have a more analytical sound, less intimate? the original has more openness to it? more airy? the -Rs seems somewhat congested? not as well blended between the lows, mids, and highs? but only in the slightest, might be from it having a more analytical sound?

 

exactly what is the difference I am not too sure, not very good when it comes to comparisions? I either like things or I don't? I will let more competant folks do the reviewing,

 

othwerwise the -R is a great piece of work, 3mm thicker then the original, and has one whopper of a battery in her, so not sure if it has 2 battery terminals like the originals? I would assume not? I will give her a listen as to battery life since it will charge the iDevice? she is a beauty!

 

but between the 2 of them I am preferring the original CLAS's SS, I am very much more drawn into the originals SS, then the new -R, the original just has better synergy along with my gear!

 

and with the new -R hooked up, when adjusting the volume there is a semi staticy hiss, that is more noticeble when between tracks, the hiss is only there when adjsuting the volume, it happens with either my L3, or the Voyager? and with the original when adjusting the volume it has is no static hiss to it,

 

here are a couple of pics.

700

 

700

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

post #1120 of 1647
I found similar conclusion with the Solo -dB. Especially the congestion and lack of transparency. I lent it to somebody else who really liked it so I'm inclined to think this flavor of DAC is just not for me. I am going to listen to it again when it returns then decide on whether to keep it or sell it.
post #1121 of 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDEROAN View Post

well I got the -R in yesterday, and from initial listening ?'?, not all that certain about its new sound, so unless the -R CLAS needs burning in? I will be sending it back to Todd?

there is something to the soundstage that changes beteween the 2 of them? seems like it is in the mids? the -Rs seems recessed? the original has a more fuller sounding mid section, the -R has a taller SS, where the original CLAS goes deeper, and is also has a more warmer/balanced sound to it, the -R seems to have a more analytical sound, less intimate? the original has more openness to it? more airy? the -Rs seems somewhat congested? not as well blended between the lows, mids, and highs? but only in the slightest, might be from it having a more analytical sound?

exactly what is the difference I am not too sure, not very good when it comes to comparisions? I either like things or I don't? I will let more competant folks do the reviewing,

othwerwise the -R is a great piece of work, 3mm thicker then the original, and has one whopper of a battery in her, so not sure if it has 2 battery terminals like the originals? I would assume not? I will give her a listen as to battery life since it will charge the iDevice? she is a beauty!

but between the 2 of them I am preferring the original CLAS's SS, I am very much more drawn into the originals SS, then the new -R, the original just has better synergy along with my gear!

and with the new -R hooked up, when adjusting the volume there is a semi staticy hiss, that is more noticeble when between tracks, the hiss is only there when adjsuting the volume, it happens with either my L3, or the Voyager? and with the original when adjusting the volume it has is no static hiss to it,

here are a couple of pics.
700


700


Thanks. Looking forward to your impressions during gradual burn-in.

700



700




HAPPY NEW YEAR!
post #1122 of 1647

Looking to offload the CLAS -dB if anyone is intrested. Including a balanced to balanced interconnect.

post #1123 of 1647

well what a very nice change to having some play time on it! the sound has smoothed over by quit a bit, mids aren't so much more forward then the lows and highs, I am really liking it alot more so now, lots of detail, clear and analytical? so its soundstage is filling out more with some burnning in! I have been listening back and forth all day, my iPod gets low I throw the -R onto it, charge it up and then throw the CLAS back on, and play the -R in between times!

 

but now I have discovered that the -R won't play my W4s with my Lisa3? it will play my ASGs, but not the W4s? the sound cuts out at a certain point, gets thin as heck, and the bass stops working? not so with using it along with the dynamic driver on the ASGs? I could blow my ears out if I wanted too?

 

and with my C&Cxo2, the -R won't play at all with either IEM? the sound cuts out completely when I turn it up to a decent level? it will almost get there and then nothing, I have to turn the amp off and then on again when it cuts out to get the sound back? ugh? the CLAS plays both IEMs on the C&C great! no issue with having it too load and cutting out? 

 

I would love to keep it, but with it not working with 2 out of my 3 amps, I really can't? but I am coming to really liking the SOUND! 

 

not sure if Cypher could increase the output? and if so would that fix the compatability issue? I e-mailed them, and as for the Lisa3 they seemed as if they understood why? something with the lower output? which is kind of nice, as I can now turn up the volume pot, and really get past the initial volume imbalance, but a small bonus over the fact that I don't have an amp I can use with my W4s? the Voyager doesn't play BAs well? the Lisa is a great pairing with the W4s and the CLAS! but not so with the -R? or with the C&C?

 

but the sound is coming along oh ssooo nicely!  

 

hhhmmm, what to do, fingers crossed! 

post #1124 of 1647

Same here.  I lent my Solo -dB out for a week to get a 2nd opinion about it and I just got it back.  I wasn't looking to sway from my original opinion but I now can hear why people like the Cypher Labs lineup.  The transparency and detail that was missing before has revealed themselves to me.  This is not a case of mental burn in because I really was disappointed in the unit and now it is a complete 180 degrees.  The only other thing that has changed was a $10 mini-to-mini from Headphone.com.  I was previously using a 2 foot mini to mini that probably came with some other piece of audio equipment.  I don't know where that cable went but I could do a quick A/B if I had it but I don't think that was the cause of my early disappointment.

 

Well, I am now happy with the sound quality of the Solo -dB and this is perhaps due to a bit more burn-in time of the unit.  The only reason I would sell or trade it is that it's not quite what I had originally envisioned for portable which is pocket-sized.  

post #1125 of 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post

Per HeadphoneAddict's impressions, the -dB's output voltage was lowered by almost half compared to the original CLAS.  He didn't like this, because he seemed concerned about the dB's ability to output enough volume for higher-to-drive cans like the HE-500, but I see this change as a very positive move by Cypher Labs.

One of the main problems I have with the CLAS is its high output, which leads to either hiss or an excessively high volume with many portable amps (even when those amps are set at their lowest volume setting).  This is especially a problem for IEMs and sensitive full-size headphones, like the DT1350 and Ed. 8. 

I don't think the -dB's lowered output is going to create problems for LCD-2/3 users, since with the LCD-3 in balanced mode and the original CLAS, I never have to go beyond low gain on the MK3.  The only headphones that might have issues with lowered output are the HE500, HE-6, and HD800, but it's still hard for me to see how the MK3 on medium or high gain won't drive these cans to suitable volumes.

Also, it's nice to see that the -dB can be used as a USB DAC, though it remains to be seen if it can compete in the $700 (or less) USB DAC market, which seems to have lots of good options these days.

5 days ago my latest class -dB just arrived

I done the comparison between my class solo tactical edition vs class -dB

Source : iPhone 4 S
Dac : Class Solo tactical edition
Class - dB
Headphone : LCD 2 rev 3 ( with angle headphone jack )
LCD 3
Iem : tralucent Audio 1+2
Fit ear 334

1st First impression :
Overall the SQ from Class solo and class - dB More or less not so much big diffferent

Class -dB : slighly better detail , better soundstage
Output voltage the latest - dB increase to 1,69 Volt from 1,20 Volt
Gain is not so High Than Class solo

Class solo : has better bass impact . Soundstage is not so Wide as Class -dB , With better Depth
Output voltage about 2,0 Volt
Gain is very High

My conculsion :
Class solo : is very Good for all rounder use .from sensitif iem like fit ear 334 to
High impendace headphone like HD 800 .
With LCD 2 and 3 has No problem With the Power
Iems is Hissing .
Sound excelent .

Class - dB : for iem like fit ear 344 and tralucent 1+2 is excelent .
Gain on my Rx 3 B set in Medium , Hissing is still There With my fit ear 334
With tralucent 1+2 less Hissing almost zero.

For Low impendamce headphone like ultrasonie Ed 8 Sound excelent too

For High impendace headphone and Ortho LCD 2 and 3 is not so Good
Gain on my Rx 3 B i must set in High and the volume Maxx , still to Low , i feel
Lifeless and boring SQ to analitical .

Can not has impactfull like my Class solo With full sounding SQ.
SQ to my LCD 2 and 3 is more Life and dynamic.
I Love it

Gain seting at my Alo Rx 3 B :

Iems and Low impendamce headphone like ED 8:
Class solo : Low gain
Class -dB. : medium gain
Low gain i must turn the volume to Maxx

Headphone DD and Ortho :
Class solo : Medium to High gain
Class -dB. ; High gain and the volume to Maxx = same in my Class solo
Medium gain to drive LCD 2 and 3

This is my personal impression .
Edited by rudi0504 - 1/6/13 at 3:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread