Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable - Page 52

post #766 of 3409

I love the simple elegance. Classic form follows function beauty.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #767 of 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Sweet, the LP 12 is such a rarity and an absolute bargain compared to the TOTL turntables available nowadays.....very listenable and engaging!  
I think it looks nice but I totally disagree on that comment. A full blown LP12 costs €16000. The upgrades are way too pricey. The engineering is still top notch but they have totally run out of inspiration there at the Linn Co. Listenable yes, but that price is neither a bargain not is the performance TOTL. Where is the innovation? The new ideas? The vision? Al they can think of is tinkering and selling more and more elaborate ruses for selling basic components at premium prices. They sell a CNC machined slab of steel (Keel subchassis?) for more than the price of a complete Hanns T30 TT (10kg platter, 2 motors, triple bonded base, electronic motor mgmt). €3500. I think the VPI classic would give it a run for its money. Or the Clearaudio Ovation. Now there's innovation and sleek looks.

I did own a Linn Axis until 5 y ago. Selling the 12y old was the best upgrade and I even won money on it. I allmost bought an LP12 in 1990 but I'm glad my dealer then advised against it and a tube-amp instead. I'm so glad he did (were still friends/-ly, just visited last Wednesday!). What about Funk Firm, Clearaudio, VPI, Feickert? I think if you hand your LP12 to the Funk Firm for an all out upgrade you would get a much better table.

A low mass platter is only going so far. Why add tons of electronics when a few kg of inertia does the same? Why the silly felt mat that sticks to your records? All the vibration echos straight back from the bottom of the record straight to your stylus creating that fine sense of 'rhythm an pace'. Why not slap it down on a big fat slab with the same coefficient of elasticity so those vibrations never reach the stylus? That's what a vinyl (or perspex, POM or even Alu) platter does.
post #768 of 3409

This is why I love Nottingham tables. Simple, very few upgrades...and I haven't heard anything better for even close to a decent price.

post #769 of 3409

The LP12 has it's place in the market and gives a taste of high end analogue, even, at Euro16K. They are nurturing a sound signature which is very appealing to many owners. It is coloured! Do they need to innovate, I don't really think so, because if they did, it wouldn't be a LP12.

 

Many adore the LP12, that is unquestionable. Comparing with other TOTL turntables, the LP12 is a bargain even at its price. TOTL turntables are outrageously priced nowadays unfortunately. The trouble with lots of the new turntables on the market place is that they are sounding more digital than analogue. Detail extraction being the main focal point of designers.

 

The owners of the Funk Firm, if I am not mistaken, were behind the Pink Triangle in the 80s and they were about a different sound signature. It is the rhythm and pace that is so appealing about the Linn LP12. A well set up Linn LP12 is still, as I have said, a very listenable and engaging experience!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]eep View Post


I think it looks nice but I totally disagree on that comment. A full blown LP12 costs €16000. The upgrades are way too pricey. The engineering is still top notch but they have totally run out of inspiration there at the Linn Co. Listenable yes, but that price is neither a bargain not is the performance TOTL. Where is the innovation? The new ideas? The vision? Al they can think of is tinkering and selling more and more elaborate ruses for selling basic components at premium prices. They sell a CNC machined slab of steel (Keel subchassis?) for more than the price of a complete Hanns T30 TT (10kg platter, 2 motors, triple bonded base, electronic motor mgmt). €3500. I think the VPI classic would give it a run for its money. Or the Clearaudio Ovation. Now there's innovation and sleek looks.
I did own a Linn Axis until 5 y ago. Selling the 12y old was the best upgrade and I even won money on it. I allmost bought an LP12 in 1990 but I'm glad my dealer then advised against it and a tube-amp instead. I'm so glad he did (were still friends/-ly, just visited last Wednesday!). What about Funk Firm, Clearaudio, VPI, Feickert? I think if you hand your LP12 to the Funk Firm for an all out upgrade you would get a much better table.
A low mass platter is only going so far. Why add tons of electronics when a few kg of inertia does the same? Why the silly felt mat that sticks to your records? All the vibration echos straight back from the bottom of the record straight to your stylus creating that fine sense of 'rhythm an pace'. Why not slap it down on a big fat slab with the same coefficient of elasticity so those vibrations never reach the stylus? That's what a vinyl (or perspex, POM or even Alu) platter does.

Edited by spkrs01 - 9/8/12 at 5:42pm
post #770 of 3409

After a couple months of anxiety and overal drolling around this thread, i'm finally a member of the club.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Technics SL-Q03, found by totally accident on a fleet market near my work place. Apparently, it has the original cartridge and needle, 
so i'm planning a upgrade soon, but it sound great as it is, hooked up to my Sound Blaster X-Fi HD via Phono.

I'm so ridiculously happy with this.

Ps: the TT is sitting on a somewhat tight space besides my desk, so i can't get a clear and wide shot of it, for now.

post #771 of 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcessJunkie View Post

After a couple months of anxiety and overal drolling around this thread, i'm finally a member of the club.
 

Technics SL-Q03, found by totally accident on a fleet market near my work place. Apparently, it has the original cartridge and needle, 
so i'm planning a upgrade soon, but it sound great as it is, hooked up to my Sound Blaster X-Fi HD via Phono.

I'm so ridiculously happy with this.

Ps: the TT is sitting on a somewhat tight space besides my desk, so i can't get a clear and wide shot of it, for now.

That looks awesome! how much did you end up paying for it?

post #772 of 3409

@dscythe

Converting to american dollars (i live in brazil), about $150.

post #773 of 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcessJunkie View Post

@dscythe

Converting to american dollars (i live in brazil), about $150.

sweet deal

post #774 of 3409
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcessJunkie 

 

 

 

Technics SL-Q03, found by totally accident on a fleet market near my work place. Apparently, it has the original cartridge and needle, 
so i'm planning a upgrade soon, but it sound great as it is, hooked up to my Sound Blaster X-Fi HD via Phono.

I'm so ridiculously happy with this.

Ps: the TT is sitting on a somewhat tight space besides my desk, so i can't get a clear and wide shot of it, for now.

L3000.gif Enjoy!

post #775 of 3409

 

 

post #776 of 3409

@carlchip78

L
ove this, man. What's spinning there?

post #777 of 3409
Hey thanks ProcessJunkie, it's Bad As Me by Tom Waits spinning.
post #778 of 3409
I thought I would buy myself a happy birthday. Well not really I've plenty of friends, but this was coincidental.

331Decca_London_Blue_in_b_tn.jpg
I received this beauty from down under the day after.

And what good is all the hardware without good software?
607nw_LP_s_tn.jpg
I know. I have terrible taste. And very limited (some are actually limited editions). But I'm open to suggestions. tongue.gif
post #779 of 3409

Modded SL-1200MK2 - ZYX R100H MC cartridge - ZYX Artisan battery operated phono stage - An all-out Japanese assault

post #780 of 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]eep View Post

I know. I have terrible taste. And very limited (some are actually limited editions). But I'm open to suggestions. tongue.gif

I see Johnny Cash in there. You're okay biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable