or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable - Page 217

post #3241 of 4555
Some old inner sleeves are remarkably clean. And some of them are really nostalgic. So if it's crap I toss it. But the better ones I keep. Also depending on the quality. If they have elaborate extra inner plastic sleeve or something I just blow them out once and they're good to go. The reason I can get away with it is because I always treat them with Permostat so once cleaned and treated they stay clean and attract no dust or hairs.

Once I found a real good inner 'sleeve' system: just a folded (once + a little flap) large sheet of paper. I have no idea why this didn't catch because it's a much easier MO. It protects well while in the outer sleeve and you can just peel it open, so to say. How often is it that the record just won't come out? You really have to jerk it out of the inner sleeve while grabbing the record with your greasy fingers because there is just no way it slides out by itself.
post #3242 of 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]eep View Post

Some old inner sleeves are remarkably clean. And some of them are really nostalgic. So if it's crap I toss it. But the better ones I keep. Also depending on the quality. If they have elaborate extra inner plastic sleeve or something I just blow them out once and they're good to go. The reason I can get away with it is because I always treat them with Permostat so once cleaned and treated they stay clean and attract no dust or hairs.

Once I found a real good inner 'sleeve' system: just a folded (once + a little flap) large sheet of paper. I have no idea why this didn't catch because it's a much easier MO. It protects well while in the outer sleeve and you can just peel it open, so to say. How often is it that the record just won't come out? You really have to jerk it out of the inner sleeve while grabbing the record with your greasy fingers because there is just no way it slides out by itself.

I meant keeping the old inner sleeve if it has value.  Some have information of them and may enhance the re-sale value of its corresponding record.

post #3243 of 4555
Well, so did I. There are inner sleeves with albumart, or lyrics. Or corny maintenance tips. Or cool '50 style adds. Or the really old yellowed but pristine sleeves. But if it has those music for the millions style album ads or are slit open at the sides, or really dirty/dusty worn and torn or those tacky D-shaped plastic sleeves I do replace them for a good new sleeve like the ones you pointed at.

The one in Paul Grahams picture (from the Beethoven album) is not necessarily bad. Just a bit folded (because it's to tight?).

Ah, just found it. I didn't really remember what record it was. It's a 60y old 10" minigroove mono. See the inner sleeve? That's the one I was talking about. It's like a large sheet of blotting paper (for the ones that remember writing with a fountain pen). One thing I can think of that might make it less good is that it's open on 2 sides and doesn't keep the dust out as much.

Those old 10"mono's have amazing dynamics btw. Very often they're pretty worn because of the "lightweight" styli in those days ("less than 10g").
PaganiniConcertoPhilipsMinigroovesleeve69f93.jpg
You can see what it is: I love Grumiaux on violin!
Edited by ]eep - 6/6/14 at 5:49pm
post #3244 of 4555

post #3245 of 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh133 View Post
 

Nice! Great TT, too bad they stopped producing them..still miss the perfect pitch sometimes.. I used a Denon D110 with mine, what cartridge is this?

post #3246 of 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

Nice! Great TT, too bad they stopped producing them..still miss the perfect pitch sometimes.. I used a Denon D110 with mine, what cartridge is this?

 

Yeah they're absolutely awesome. They punch well above their price point. I am actually selling this one which kills me. Only doing it because I'm moving overseas and it's too big and heavy to take with me.

 

I believe it's a Stanton 520.V3.

post #3247 of 4555

Another couple of shots:

 

 

post #3248 of 4555

Beautiful!  Shame you have to dump it.

post #3249 of 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

Beautiful!  Shame you have to dump it.


Sure is. I'll get another eventually once I've settled.

post #3250 of 4555
Which model and how much are you asking.
post #3251 of 4555
u2u4ema2.jpg

Me ladies. Innovation...AMG...Spiral
post #3252 of 4555

Serious and beautiful stuff.

 

If I had that, I guess I would be spinning vinyl 24/7.:D

post #3253 of 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

Which model and how much are you asking.


It says SL-1200mk2 on the photo ;)

 


Edited by Quinto - 6/28/14 at 8:45am
post #3254 of 4555
Quote:
Nice! Great TT, too bad they stopped producing them..still miss the perfect pitch sometimes..
Yeah, just like NTSC television. Always such nice perfect colors. (you know what NTSC is said to stand for, right? Never the same color twice.)

It's a DJ turntable. The slider is meant to adjust the BPM to match another record so that neither of them has the exact pitch. If you are using it just to listen to music I wouldn't worry too much. There are better sounding TT's. I'm not trying to be cruel or put you down but describing the 1200 as a great TT is true as far as it is used for it's intended use as DJ TT. As far as using it for hifi it is just nostalgia.
post #3255 of 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]eep View Post

It's a DJ turntable. The slider is meant to adjust the BPM to match another record so that neither of them has the exact pitch. If you are using it just to listen to music I wouldn't worry too much. There are better sounding TT's. I'm not trying to be cruel or put you down but describing the 1200 as a great TT is true as far as it is used for it's intended use as DJ TT. As far as using it for hifi it is just nostalgia.

It is not a DJ turntable. The 1200 was first released as a hifi consumer record player. 

It was later adopted by DJs because of it's build quality, wow and flutter control and low resonance made it most suitable for clubs etc. 

It was first adopted by radio DJs because the direct drive high torque motor design, making it, initially, suitable for pushbutton cueing and starting of tracks on radio.

Later when when the use of slip-mats for cueing and beat-mixing (and scratching) became popular, the quartz-controlled high torque motor system enabled records to be mixed with consistency and accuracy. 

 

I think it would be nice if we don't make critical comments when people post pictures of their rigs.

This is a photo thread. No one wants to post pictures of their turntable only to have others tell them how mediocre their system is.

This only serves to discourage posting pictures of turntables.

IMO, this happens too much in this thread! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable