Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable - Page 186

post #2776 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]eep View Post

There is a lot that can be said about nostalgia as well in the clinical as in the general sense of the word. In this it is also linked to melancholy. It can refer to a general interest in the past, their personalities, and events, especially the "good old days" from one's earlier life. ... nostalgia is more prevalent during times of great upheaval. But can also be deceptive: ... nostalgia ... in some forms can become a defense mechanism by which people avoid the historical facts. Personally I prefer to make new good memories in the here and now instead of dwelling on old ones.

I appreciate the look of that black Denon. But I think that the company that just killed the production of the great little DL110+160 is merely hoping to cash in on the feeling of nostalgia than making a bold new step forward with new and exiting technology. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made in China. Dust off an old design and put some nice varnish on and you are good to go. In saying this I strongly feel that there is a strong underapreciation of Chinese engineering and craftsmanship, just like Japanese in the '60s-'70s.

Just to think you could get a really good turntable for that money. But without a new DL160 cartridge...
I am just listening to my newly modded phonoamp. I was a bit anxious because I took out 33% of the opamps an redid the scheme (RIAA) and replaced the caps in between. Since I have no formal schooling in electronics i wasn't really shure if what I did would be ok. I did introduce some hum but that is because I forgot that there is a seperationwall on the lid of the inner shielding. And the new bigger caps are in the way. So I can't close it. Hence some hum. But it sounds incredibly clear. Like, again, several veils are lifted. Without even breaking all the new Spragues and Russian caps. It's really like WOW! basshead.gif

VERY good post - bull's eye, in my view. 

 

That SL 1200 look alike/knock off says it all regarding present Denon - instead of reaching on in their own archives/designs from the past and improving upon them, they went for copycat activities, simply because of hope for quick sell/buck - due to the similarity to the SL1200 that is THE turntable in eyes of the most of the mass buying public.

 

Killing the production of DL110/160 is like shooting yourself in BOTH of your legs - one side with AK47, another with M16...- it is true that Denon changed ownership several times since DL110/160 was introduced. Not so long ago, an obviously "milk teeth" representative for Denon, claimed a certain ( admittedly extremely rare Denon product ) was NEVER distributed in Germany; sure, I can well imagine that represantive was not born for decade(s) after said product was available for a brief year or so,

but claiming it was NEVER available only goes to show merchants are only interested in current production/sales - and nothing else.

 

Grim truth is that in almost all departments of technological activities at the time, Chinese are in the first echelons - if not actually the very spearhead of development. 

They are FAR from being a mere copycats producing at lower price; true, there is LOTS that can be described this way, but there are genuine advances produced by their universities and swiftly applied in the production. Quite some of them have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of - on the contrary, it can be genuinely source of pride to their creators. Underestimating China as prime technological resource would prove very costly in the future to those foolish enough to underestimate it.

post #2777 of 4046
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

VERY good post - bull's eye, in my view. 

That SL 1200 look alike/knock off says it all regarding present Denon - instead of reaching on in their own archives/designs from the past and improving upon them, they went for copycat activities, simply because of hope for quick sell/buck - due to the similarity to the SL1200 that is THE turntable in eyes of the most of the mass buying public.

Killing the production of DL110/160 is like shooting yourself in BOTH of your legs - one side with AK47, another with M16...- it is true that Denon changed ownership several times since DL110/160 was introduced. Not so long ago, an obviously "milk teeth" representative for Denon, claimed a certain ( admittedly extremely rare Denon product ) was NEVER distributed in Germany; sure, I can well imagine that represantive was not born for decade(s) after said product was available for a brief year or so,
but claiming it was NEVER available only goes to show merchants are only interested in current production/sales - and nothing else.

Grim truth is that in almost all departments of technological activities at the time, Chinese are in the first echelons - if not actually the very spearhead of development. 
They are FAR from being a mere copycats producing at lower price; true, there is LOTS that can be described this way, but there are genuine advances produced by their universities and swiftly applied in the production. Quite some of them have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of - on the contrary, it can be genuinely source of pride to their creators. Underestimating China as prime technological resource would prove very costly in the future to those foolish enough to underestimate it.



Amazingly there are one or two high end direct drive turntables coming out for 2013/2014. I'm no expert but have had many tables over the years. I have a belt drive now but from a design and common sense stand point direct drive seems like a process just waiting to be perfected nowadays.

I'll look it up but there are a number of companies perfecting direct drive in the present day. These products also come with a steap price tag. Many of the direct drive tables even in the 1970s were expensive by 1970s standards also.


Ok, so if they can get the motor vibration reduced, there are really so many benefits of direct drive. No belts, no slipping, nothing to worry about. They get to speed in a half second and stop on a dime. Normally the good ones are bullet proof and last. For me anyway it is super exciting to see direct drive being furthered in this day and age.

Not much press out on these direct Denons from China. Still it shows that there is still a romance out there for current direct drive. Who knows, as there could be a day 15 years from now where direct drive is standard fare for high end audiophile vinyl playback?
post #2778 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

I loved my 1200s direct drive operating style.

 

 I missed Denons return to direct for $2500 back in 2010. Amazing to bring a design directly into the future from the 1970s!

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 72

 

 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-Anniversary-Edition-DP-A100-Turntable/dp/B0042S5UHY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

 

These are on Ebay now!

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Denon-DP-500M-Direct-Drive-Turntable-Analogue-Record-Player-FREE-SHIPPING-/331092534278?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item4d16a72406


The thing that bothers me is $2500 for a direct drive. Maybe because of experience with legacy tables, I know the value you can get for 1/4 of that cost. Direct drive or belt (mostly DD), from the heyday of when tables where made to perform because of competition in a very large market.

 

I love my CA Concept and purchased this for a reason, but I have also loved many $400 and under DD tables that are phenomenal And $600 or less...wow !

 

We have a smaller market, less production, so the high end tables are great (but expensive) and the sub $1000 tables, uggg.

 

If anyone here is ever looking at a vintage table, many of us here can give advice on the selection and what to expect. You are not STUCK with Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall if you are on a budget.

post #2779 of 4046
If you are fortunate enough to live somewhere there is a vintage audio equipment shop, like we have here in Portland, OR, you can get a good used TT for cheap. I got my dd Yamaha P520 for $169 with a new cart. Works great and is simple.
post #2780 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcorob View Post

 

You are not STUCK with Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall if you are on a budget.

 

Hey, I love being stuck with my Rega! :D But yes, there are great bargains to be had in the vintage TT scene.

post #2781 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcorob View Post

 

You are not STUCK with Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall if you are on a budget.

 

Hey, I love being stuck with my Rega! :D But yes, there are great bargains to be had in the vintage TT scene.

Plus one!

post #2782 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post
 

 

Hey, I love being stuck with my Rega! :D But yes, there are great bargains to be had in the vintage TT scene.


I'm sorry...I was not intending to disparage those...just ..that's all that's out there in a affordable category....a few others but only a handful.

 

In the vintage days, you could literally choose from dozens and dozens in similar price ranges...

 

enjoy your Rega !!!

 

Rob

post #2783 of 4046

No apology needed, just a tongue-in-cheek joke on my part ;)

post #2784 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post
 

No apology needed, just a tongue-in-cheek joke on my part ;)

Yeah, ha ha.

post #2785 of 4046
Thread Starter 

Brinkmann Bardo: $7990 without tonearm
The Bardo is a direct-drive, suspensionless turntable with an eight-pole, speed-controlled motor. It has a vinyl platter mat, a polished granite base, and the superbly designed and machined spindle and bearing used in Brinkmann's more expensive Oasis, La Grange, and Balance models. Fit’n’finish were outstanding, and setup was quick and simple. Though it lacked the rich, deep bass of Brinkmann's more expensive "tables, the Bardo "produced superbly well-organized sound with clean, sharp attacks, reasonably strong sustain, and pronounced decay, all against a jet-black backdrop," said Mikey. Optional precision-ground crystal platter mat and screw-down record clamp add $1500; optional Balance power supply adds $1490. (Vol.34 No.5

 

 

 

Just out!


Edited by Redcarmoose - 1/4/14 at 5:56pm
post #2786 of 4046
Thread Starter 

http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/1107gp

 

    This debuted in 1997

post #2787 of 4046
Thread Starter 
post #2788 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

 

 

I didn't even know VPI made a direct drive?

 

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-157642-vpi-classic-direct-drive-turntable.aspx?source=igodigital&


Yeah...It also features their 3D printer arm...But at $29,999 It should also drive me to work...LOL...Geeze...

post #2789 of 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

 

 

I didn't even know VPI made a direct drive?

 

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-157642-vpi-classic-direct-drive-turntable.aspx?source=igodigital&

It was just released a few months ago...

post #2790 of 4046

Don't know if this counts but a buddy of mine just gave me this... was just collecting dust in his garage.

 

 

The player works, tried out Vivaldi four seasons on it. There is a headphone jack in the front but way unbalanced, also a lot of static in the background. Will look into upgrading the cartridge.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable