Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable - Page 10

post #136 of 3480

Lets get some more turntables posted, guys!

 

DSCF0414.JPGDSCF0417.JPG


Edited by Borgbox - 8/17/11 at 9:37am
post #137 of 3480

ed.jpgee.jpgef.jpgf1.jpgf6.jpg

 

 

My Dual CS5000 turntable that was given to me after the owner (next door neighbor) passed away. I also was given a JVC R-X500 computer controlled receiver and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10s.

 

This was before my Head-Fi days but I know what I have now. This turntable has, according to the service guy at my Vinyl Renaissance store, a $500 cartridge that isn't made anymore. That on a $400-$500 turntable, for free!, equals happy me!

 

I wanted the cartridge replaced in case this one was in terrible shape (lots of pops and clicks on 1st notch on my amp on mute, bad sign!), and I thought the stylus had broken off when it jumped a few times. He said all it needs is a good cleaning and a new belt. Awesome!

 

Jelly?

post #138 of 3480

Wow, looks like the predecessor to my Shure m97xe cart. That's a gorgeous little set up you have there!

post #139 of 3480

Thanks! And my cartridge is $500 where yours is around $60. I think predecessor is a little off ;)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgbox View Post

Wow, looks like the predecessor to my Shure m97xe cart. That's a gorgeous little set up you have there!



 

post #140 of 3480

lol predecessor as in it came before mine, I certainly don't expect my $60 cart to rival a $500 cart just cause the latter is older beerchug.gif The design evolution intrigues me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Thanks! And my cartridge is $500 where yours is around $60. I think predecessor is a little off ;)
 



 



 

post #141 of 3480

Yeah. I comprehended that as predecessor equaling of lower quality redface.gif

post #142 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

f1.jpg

 

 

My Dual CS5000 turntable that was given to me after the owner (next door neighbor) passed away. I also was given a JVC R-X500 computer controlled receiver and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10s.

 

This was before my Head-Fi days but I know what I have now. This turntable has, according to the service guy at my Vinyl Renaissance store, a $500 cartridge that isn't made anymore. That on a $400-$500 turntable, for free!, equals happy me!

 

I wanted the cartridge replaced in case this one was in terrible shape (lots of pops and clicks on 1st notch on my amp on mute, bad sign!), and I thought the stylus had broken off when it jumped a few times. He said all it needs is a good cleaning and a new belt. Awesome!

 

Jelly?


That's a dream score.  The cart is worth $300+ second-hand and the table is probably that or more too.  I have a Shure V15V on one of my decks and it's a legendary tracker.

 

post #143 of 3480

The Shure V15VMR is simply awesome. There may not be another cartridge out there  that can track as well. The Shure was as honestly crafted as it was priced. I prey Shure will produce it again someday. I've got two of em, but only one stylus. As paired with my Sony PS-4750 I have not heard more detail in my records from what I've auditioned so far.

post #144 of 3480
I also hope Shure puts it back into production. Vinyl is selling well again, so if that keeps up, Shure's beancounters might decide it's a good idea.

I love the DL103/Cinemag combo, but the Shure is the only cartridge that would tempt me to change.
post #145 of 3480
Thread Starter 

Found a V-15 Type IV (introduced in 1978) on a turntable for 25 bucks in a thrift store. My best find ever.

post #146 of 3480
Shure didn't discontinue the V15VMR because it wasn't selling well. It was. They discontinued it due to a supplier no longer being willing or able to supply them with a key component. Pity. But as such I'm not sure it's likely it will come back. I sold mine some while back, and kinda wish I hadn't. It's not that I would use it on either of my turntables, both of which have much better cartridges in them, but I wish I had one on ice...just because...
post #147 of 3480

That really sucks that they stopped making it. This cartridge and turntable, hooked up to a piece of crap 15yr old Sony receiver that either has almost no bass presence in comparison to my JVC I mentioned (the Sony is my Dad's), or it just clips in the low end when I push it to and a hair above normal listening volumes (for me, it's different for everyone in some way) when driving the Polk Monitor 10s, with terrible speaker placement, still made my dad's dirty records sound like the band was in the room (from what I remember).

 

If this cartridge is that good, I'd buy another one when this one wore out if I could afford it, and if I could justify the price. If it was like $300-$350, it'd be bought again in a heartbeat. If this wears out, the record store guy, in which I totally trust his experience, says I should just get a new one instead of replace the stylus, and said a Grado Gold could be as good, and he preferred Grado to Shure for cartridges in general anyway.

 

The mentioned speaker placement:

 

1000x500px-LL-5bf6b4e2_172.jpg

 

My Dad's record collection on the left on those shelves. I have changed this a ton since I took this pic BTW. I put the turntable on top of the speaker because of cable length and I know how stupid that is, but it seemed to be almost invincible to vibration since I sonically couldn't hear any flaws. No needle jumping or anything. Then again, that was with the old crap Sony receiver with virtually no bass, hence the lack of vibration probably.

post #148 of 3480

Saw this today and had to share.  Pretty slick.

 

Customerroom54.jpg

post #149 of 3480

^ Daaaaanng where do you go to see one of those?

post #150 of 3480

^ Daaaanng where do you go to see one of those?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable