Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 535  

post #8011 of 8735
Anyone have experience with telefunken tubes in their lyr? Are the 12au7 and 12ax7 compatible? Other suggestions to look for?
post #8012 of 8735
12au7 and 12ax7 tubes are not compatible with the Lyr! Don't use them! They have 12 volt heaters. You need to use tubes with 6 volt heaters like the 6922/6DJ8/E88CC/ECC88 etc. You can also use some 7 volt tubes like the PCC88, but nothing with 12 on the front. Cheers! -HK sends
post #8013 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuckfun View Post

Orange Globes are here! Ordered on Monday, here on Wednesday- Great service from mercedesman. Burning them in now, and had to peek a listen. Initial impression- very musical tubes. Euphonic- maybe too early to tell, but these will be my next champion. Thanks for the recommendation

 

beerchug.gif

post #8014 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post

Greatest Headphone Review ever - good to keep in mind when choosing the tube characteristics that fit your cans.

 

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Awesome!  Thanks for the link! beerchug.gif

post #8015 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post


So what's the problem?  I always think I've achieved Nirvana until I A/B it against my Conductor.  The damn Conductor always wins.  At this point (including tube purchases), the Conductor is less expensive too .................

I had my heart set on the Conductor, but I went to demo it with my HE-500's and I didn't feel it was substantially better than my Asgard2/Bifrost setup. But before I left and just out of curiosity I tried out the Lyr and really enjoyed it, enough to buy it immediately. But during the demo we weren't running the Lyr from a Bifrost, but rather from the DAC outs of the Conductor. This combo seemed to be pretty nice, and one of the reasons I dropped the Bifrost and went with a Sabre based DAC.

Curious if this is how you run your Lyr and if you do if you find it superior to the Bifrost as a DAC.
post #8016 of 8735
This has been bothering me for awhile and sort of begs the question. If the Amperex OG's are so good, why can't we just reproduce them? Sans all the magic dust BS, surely we could get the same schematics and parts to build it ourselves...no?
post #8017 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

Awesome!  Thanks for the link! beerchug.gif


Thanks!  I had to wipe the drool from my mouth the first time I read it.

post #8018 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


Thanks!  I had to wipe the drool from my mouth the first time I read it.

 

Maybe I missed it, but did he say if he actually owns all of that equipment? I doubt it. Good luck with him on recovering from tinnitus. His review of the HE-500 and praise of planar magnetics made me ditch the Grado PS500.
post #8019 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post

This has been bothering me for awhile and sort of begs the question. If the Amperex OG's are so good, why can't we just reproduce them? Sans all the magic dust BS, surely we could get the same schematics and parts to build it ourselves...no?

 

Kind of a loaded question.   There was a lot that went into the manufacture of tubes beyond the physical construction, primarily the metallurgy and  chemistry involved in the coatings, which were closely guarded secrets in many cases.   Also, in many cases, the people who knew those formulas are long gone, and with the transition to solid state and tubes falling out of favor, I'm sure no one really thought about them being relevant in the future.

 

It's also worth mentioning, many of the tubes that we all seem to lust after were never designed for audio circuits.  That they happen to work well and sound so great in audio circuits was never part of anyone's plan back at that time.   The higher quality tubes in this line were higher quality because they were tightly balanced, had less variance from tube to tube, were more durably constructed/longer lasting for some part numbers, etc... not because they were necessarily better for audio reproduction.   A good read about the 6DJ8 family and use in audio circuits:  http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/suitof6dfora.html - and from that article:

 

"The 6DJ8/6922 (µ = 33) appeared in the late 1960's designed for use in color TV tuners. Textronics and others used them in oscilloscopes and other high performance test equipment. In my research for a very quiet phono input/head amp tube I found it to be the best choice due to it's linearity and high transconductance."

 

There have been a few decent-to-good sounding reproductions of tubes in this family, some hate them, some even prefer them to the NOS tubes, but due to the history and knowledge that has been lost, the chances of ever reproducing the NOS stuff exactly the same are slim to none.

 

   -Mike


Edited by mhamel - 6/26/13 at 1:38pm
post #8020 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post

This has been bothering me for awhile and sort of begs the question. If the Amperex OG's are so good, why can't we just reproduce them? Sans all the magic dust BS, surely we could get the same schematics and parts to build it ourselves...no?

 

OGs aren't the only really great tubes out there, they are probably the easiest to abbreviate though! biggrin.gif

 

But to answer you question:  they've been trying!

 

Tubes are still being produced to this day, and the design of the 6DJ8 family of tubes is widely known. But, for reasons unknown, at least to most people, they haven't been able to reproduce the, for want of a better term, magic.

 

A lot of the tubes we treasure were not even designed specifically for audio!  The 6DJ8 is simply a dual triode tube, there are many circuits in which it will work just fine, but it was originally designed to be used as an amplifier in TV tuners. For most applications, the tubes being built today, and most of the tubes built back in the day, are perfectly adequate.  But when used in audio circuits certain tubes begin to display qualities that make them better than other models.  We have to assume that the qualities that make the OGs better for audio were a happy accident, since it wasn't designed with audio in mind.  That makes reproducing the magic all the more difficult.

 

Eventually the tubes were used in audio amplifiers, and manufacturers did make attempts to optimize it for audio.  Some of these attempts were more successful than others, witness the CCa tubes that are highly sought after.

 

But eventually transistors took over, and a lot of the guys who knew what they were doing retired.

 

But tube manufacturers are still cranking out the valves.

 

Maybe eventually they will be able to produce a new super tube.


Edited by nelamvr6 - 6/26/13 at 1:44pm
post #8021 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamel View Post

 

Kind of a loaded question.   There was a lot that went into the manufacture of tubes beyond the physical construction, primarily the metallurgy and  chemistry involved in the coatings, which were closely guarded secrets in many cases.   Also, in many cases, the people who knew those formulas are long gone, and with the transition to solid state and tubes falling out of favor, I'm sure no one really thought about them being relevant in the future.

 

It's also worth mentioning, many of the tubes that we all seem to lust after were never designed for audio circuits.  That they happen to work well and sound so great in audio circuits was never part of anyone's plan back at that time.   The higher quality tubes in this line were higher quality because they were tightly balanced, had less variance from tube to tube, were more durably constructed/longer lasting for some part numbers, etc... not because they were necessarily better for audio reproduction.   A good read about the 6DJ8 family and use in audio circuits:  http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/suitof6dfora.html - and from that article:

 

"The 6DJ8/6922 (µ = 33) appeared in the late 1960's designed for use in color TV tuners. Textronics and others used them in oscilloscopes and other high performance test equipment. In my research for a very quiet phono input/head amp tube I found it to be the best choice due to it's linearity and high transconductance."

 

There have been a few decent-to-good sounding reproductions of tubes in this family, some hate them, some even prefer them to the NOS tubes, but due to the history and knowledge that has been lost, the chances of ever reproducing the NOS stuff exactly the same are slim to none.

 

   -Mike

You beat me to it!

 

Your answer is better anyway! beerchug.gif

post #8022 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post

 

Maybe I missed it, but did he say if he actually owns all of that equipment? I doubt it.Good luck with him on recovering from tinnitus. His review of the HE-500 and praise of planar magnetics made me ditch the Grado PS500.

I really fell in love with the orthodynamics once my LCD-2.2s landed.  I've hardly listened to my DT880s since!

post #8023 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post

 

Maybe I missed it, but did he say if he actually owns all of that equipment? I doubt it.Good luck with him on recovering from tinnitus. His review of the HE-500 and praise of planar magnetics made me ditch the Grado PS500.


Yes he owns it all - I guess when you live in a NYC apartment and you have lots of money - that's what you do.   He rates the HE-500 as the best headphone bang for the buck!  The LCD 2.2 are right up there!

post #8024 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


Yes he owns it all - I guess when you live in a NYC apartment and you have lots of money - that's what you do.   He rates the HE-500 as the best headphone bang for the buck!  The LCD 2.2 are right up there!

I couldn't differentiate 5 different pieces of fruit.

post #8025 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

I couldn't differentiate 5 different pieces of fruit.


It must get confusing. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread