I think this video teaches the construction of a tube the best.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
Cavalli Audio will not sell the Liquid Carbon headphone amp anymore, with the second and final run ending a month ago, but I hope the following is useful to those looking to pick one up on the used...
Acknowledgment Thanks @PhilW for loaning me these headphones for a week. I know how much you missed them. Introduction After being so impressed with the ERIB-2a (link to review), @PhilW told me...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 518post #7756 of 87356/18/13 at 12:49pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7757 of 87356/18/13 at 12:53pmpost #7758 of 87356/18/13 at 1:04pmpost #7759 of 87356/18/13 at 1:25pmpost #7760 of 87356/18/13 at 4:14pmQuote:
They are better. I'll try and send the large size files. I'll take a few more of these Reflectors as well.post #7761 of 87356/18/13 at 4:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by sceleratus
If anyone would like, I would be happy to correct some of the Voshkod photos for exposure, color, and contrast/shadows. That way we can see silver v grey, logos and construction. Photography is my other stupid passion.
Here is a link to a Dropbox folder. Put the large / original image there. I'll correct them and name them 'fixed-1.jpg" etc.
If you like them, you can post them. I didn't want to drag them down without permission.
Didn't mean too imply the images were bad, I think I can bring out the getter more.
They should all be in there and a few more.post #7762 of 87356/18/13 at 5:13pmMakes sense, the data sheets are quite different between the 23 and the 1. Looks like I'll be snarfing up a few of these while the price is low.
One more twist.... How about the triple mica black plate variant?Quote:
Edited by GrindingThud - 6/18/13 at 5:20pmpost #7763 of 87356/18/13 at 5:43pmI have a feeling this thread can make prices jump.
... I've got a couple pair of CV2493/01 on the way. Kinda funny. The voshkod were just in and the wife was threatening to throw out all my Schiit.... just as I won. Tubes and a divorce coming up. win win. :-)post #7764 of 87356/18/13 at 5:53pmQuote:
I actually got an answer to your posts from TubeMonger:
"Funny, we have been working on one such item for a while with some electrical measurement features. Simple passive unit without electronics should be easy to derive."
I know I'd like to see it!
-HK sendspost #7765 of 87356/18/13 at 5:57pm
"Anyone try 1960s Siemens & Halske PCC88 in Lyr. Here is a photo for reference. Most Siemens PCC88 tubes in the market are late 1970s-early 1980s without splatter shield above the plates.BTW, Telefunken PCC88 batch should be here in next 10 days. We can bid on this Siemens lot also.post #7766 of 87356/18/13 at 6:27pm
OK, I've finally made a decision.
A/B comparisons are not easy, there's a lot of work involved, and these tubes are really closely matched.
But I'm going with the Orange Globes.
The bass heft and slam was slightly better in the OGs than in the RTCs, but I found that the difference wasn't nearly as pronounced as I originally thought. Maybe the RTCs burned in a bit more, maybe it took more critical listening to hear the difference clearly, I'm not sure.
The soundstage was better with the RTCs. It was more three dimensional than with the OGs, but that difference was also less pronounced that I originally thought. In fact, going through this exercise has given me new appreciation of the OGs soundstage! The soundstage of the OGs is not quite as "intimate" as I had believed.
I'd say that the high frequency reproduction was superb with both pairs of tubes, if I had to decide based solely on the treble, I would still be agonizing on which tube to pick, I don't think I could ever call one really better than the other.
What tipped the scales in favor of the OGs was that sweet, sweet midrange. The midrange of the OGs was fluid and mellifluous, but never bloated or bloomy. The RTCs had nice midrange also, to be sure. But the mids on the OGs were just better.
I hope I don't have to do this again for a while at least. I'd much rather just relax and listen to music!
(We really need an LCD-2/3 Smilie!)post #7767 of 87356/18/13 at 6:50pmpost #7768 of 87356/18/13 at 8:22pmpost #7769 of 87356/18/13 at 8:59pmpost #7770 of 87356/18/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
I've got boxes filled with tubes all around...they get used to it...after about 10 years! It's the boxes filled with cables they really can't stand :-0
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 11 seconds ago
- › Hifiman new Dap mini but powerfull coming soon 12 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 54 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD700 - Great Condition/Conus 1 minute ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Rosie Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...