I think this video teaches the construction of a tube the best.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
- Headphone Impedance
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 518
Gear mentioned in this thread:
They are better. I'll try and send the large size files. I'll take a few more of these Reflectors as well.
If anyone would like, I would be happy to correct some of the Voshkod photos for exposure, color, and contrast/shadows. That way we can see silver v grey, logos and construction. Photography is my other stupid passion.
Here is a link to a Dropbox folder. Put the large / original image there. I'll correct them and name them 'fixed-1.jpg" etc.
If you like them, you can post them. I didn't want to drag them down without permission.
Didn't mean too imply the images were bad, I think I can bring out the getter more.
They should all be in there and a few more.
One more twist.... How about the triple mica black plate variant?
Edited by GrindingThud - 6/18/13 at 5:20pm
... I've got a couple pair of CV2493/01 on the way. Kinda funny. The voshkod were just in and the wife was threatening to throw out all my Schiit.... just as I won. Tubes and a divorce coming up. win win. :-)
I actually got an answer to your posts from TubeMonger:
"Funny, we have been working on one such item for a while with some electrical measurement features. Simple passive unit without electronics should be easy to derive."
I know I'd like to see it!
"Anyone try 1960s Siemens & Halske PCC88 in Lyr. Here is a photo for reference. Most Siemens PCC88 tubes in the market are late 1970s-early 1980s without splatter shield above the plates.
OK, I've finally made a decision.
A/B comparisons are not easy, there's a lot of work involved, and these tubes are really closely matched.
But I'm going with the Orange Globes.
The bass heft and slam was slightly better in the OGs than in the RTCs, but I found that the difference wasn't nearly as pronounced as I originally thought. Maybe the RTCs burned in a bit more, maybe it took more critical listening to hear the difference clearly, I'm not sure.
The soundstage was better with the RTCs. It was more three dimensional than with the OGs, but that difference was also less pronounced that I originally thought. In fact, going through this exercise has given me new appreciation of the OGs soundstage! The soundstage of the OGs is not quite as "intimate" as I had believed.
I'd say that the high frequency reproduction was superb with both pairs of tubes, if I had to decide based solely on the treble, I would still be agonizing on which tube to pick, I don't think I could ever call one really better than the other.
What tipped the scales in favor of the OGs was that sweet, sweet midrange. The midrange of the OGs was fluid and mellifluous, but never bloated or bloomy. The RTCs had nice midrange also, to be sure. But the mids on the OGs were just better.
I hope I don't have to do this again for a while at least. I'd much rather just relax and listen to music!
(We really need an LCD-2/3 Smilie!)
I've got boxes filled with tubes all around...they get used to it...after about 10 years! It's the boxes filled with cables they really can't stand :-0
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 9 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 50 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7 1 minute ago
- › Seattle Redhook Meet Saturday July 26th, 2014 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90, practically new 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These... 2 minutes ago
- › Mixamp + HD598 + Modmic for a PS4 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)