I think this video teaches the construction of a tube the best.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
In the audio world, nobody can say we don’t have a tonne of choice available to us. Some audition and audition gear with slight differences to find the piece that truly stands out to them....
A good sounding inexpensive product. As of my late work has pushed me to have to work at many hours at once on writing Visual Novels, I began asking myself if there is a buds solution that...
I just sell my Yamaha EPH-100, so before I forget how they sound I will write a little review here. My attempt for this micro driver earphones was BIG, especially because of the praise I found...
The PMV A-01 was sent to me from PMV by the help on Penon Audio. Thank you to both for let me try them out! The price at the time of this review was $69. The PMV A-1 is available from the Penon...
Cayin have always intrigued me, their approach to portable audio isn't about sound quality alone, far from. Their designs are some of the most unique...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 518post #7756 of 87356/18/13 at 12:49pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7757 of 87356/18/13 at 12:53pmpost #7758 of 87356/18/13 at 1:04pmpost #7759 of 87356/18/13 at 1:25pmpost #7760 of 87356/18/13 at 4:14pmQuote:
They are better. I'll try and send the large size files. I'll take a few more of these Reflectors as well.post #7761 of 87356/18/13 at 4:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by sceleratus
If anyone would like, I would be happy to correct some of the Voshkod photos for exposure, color, and contrast/shadows. That way we can see silver v grey, logos and construction. Photography is my other stupid passion.
Here is a link to a Dropbox folder. Put the large / original image there. I'll correct them and name them 'fixed-1.jpg" etc.
If you like them, you can post them. I didn't want to drag them down without permission.
Didn't mean too imply the images were bad, I think I can bring out the getter more.
They should all be in there and a few more.post #7762 of 87356/18/13 at 5:13pmMakes sense, the data sheets are quite different between the 23 and the 1. Looks like I'll be snarfing up a few of these while the price is low.
One more twist.... How about the triple mica black plate variant?Quote:
Edited by GrindingThud - 6/18/13 at 5:20pmpost #7763 of 87356/18/13 at 5:43pmI have a feeling this thread can make prices jump.
... I've got a couple pair of CV2493/01 on the way. Kinda funny. The voshkod were just in and the wife was threatening to throw out all my Schiit.... just as I won. Tubes and a divorce coming up. win win. :-)post #7764 of 87356/18/13 at 5:53pmQuote:
I actually got an answer to your posts from TubeMonger:
"Funny, we have been working on one such item for a while with some electrical measurement features. Simple passive unit without electronics should be easy to derive."
I know I'd like to see it!
-HK sendspost #7765 of 87356/18/13 at 5:57pm
"Anyone try 1960s Siemens & Halske PCC88 in Lyr. Here is a photo for reference. Most Siemens PCC88 tubes in the market are late 1970s-early 1980s without splatter shield above the plates.BTW, Telefunken PCC88 batch should be here in next 10 days. We can bid on this Siemens lot also.post #7766 of 87356/18/13 at 6:27pm
OK, I've finally made a decision.
A/B comparisons are not easy, there's a lot of work involved, and these tubes are really closely matched.
But I'm going with the Orange Globes.
The bass heft and slam was slightly better in the OGs than in the RTCs, but I found that the difference wasn't nearly as pronounced as I originally thought. Maybe the RTCs burned in a bit more, maybe it took more critical listening to hear the difference clearly, I'm not sure.
The soundstage was better with the RTCs. It was more three dimensional than with the OGs, but that difference was also less pronounced that I originally thought. In fact, going through this exercise has given me new appreciation of the OGs soundstage! The soundstage of the OGs is not quite as "intimate" as I had believed.
I'd say that the high frequency reproduction was superb with both pairs of tubes, if I had to decide based solely on the treble, I would still be agonizing on which tube to pick, I don't think I could ever call one really better than the other.
What tipped the scales in favor of the OGs was that sweet, sweet midrange. The midrange of the OGs was fluid and mellifluous, but never bloated or bloomy. The RTCs had nice midrange also, to be sure. But the mids on the OGs were just better.
I hope I don't have to do this again for a while at least. I'd much rather just relax and listen to music!
(We really need an LCD-2/3 Smilie!)post #7767 of 87356/18/13 at 6:50pmpost #7768 of 87356/18/13 at 8:22pmpost #7769 of 87356/18/13 at 8:59pmpost #7770 of 87356/18/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
I've got boxes filled with tubes all around...they get used to it...after about 10 years! It's the boxes filled with cables they really can't stand :-0
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 44 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 46 seconds ago
- › AE Shipping discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Small cd transport 2 minutes ago
- › coffee gadgets... 4 minutes ago
- › Westone 3 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica vs Superlux (need your advice) 4 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › MusicMaker TK12 Appreciation / Impressions Thread Dual BA and DD... 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › Yamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphones by Nymphonomaniac
- › PMV A-01 HYBIRD IEM by peter123
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by Asr
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse