The Lyr will smoke iPhone earbuds
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
The detail, imaging, and sound-staging are accurate and bring your headphones the neutral platform they need in order to perform the way their engineers intended. The DAC is the high point of...
First Impression When I first listened to HD380Pro, I thought that I received a far more expensive headphone. After an hour or so of using them, I still felt that they sound better than...
Greetings Head-fi! In a past long gone, wireless audio was scoffed at for it's spotty connections, bulky modules, and compromised sound quality. Over the years technology has advanced and great...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 513post #7681 of 87356/15/13 at 1:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7682 of 87356/15/13 at 1:26pmpost #7683 of 87356/15/13 at 4:24pmpost #7684 of 87356/15/13 at 6:09pmpost #7685 of 87356/15/13 at 6:24pmpost #7686 of 87356/15/13 at 6:40pmpost #7687 of 87356/15/13 at 6:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by rb2013
Yes! This is what I have been saying...tremendous tube! Just did an extensive comparison between the Philips-Holland E88CC SQ Halo getters (1960s date code), the Amperex US PQ 6922s and the 6n23p Voshkod Rockets 1979, 1980, 1983,etc...date codes.
The 1979 and 1980 Voshkod rockets sound better then the Amperex by a mile and even beat the SQs in most respects.
One note: I have collected a large stash of these V-Rockets and I noticed their seems to be two versions across date codes. One with a long gray shield and one with a long shiny shield - kinda' like the S&H CCa. Except the sound on the V-Rockets with the shiny shields sound way better! Much more open, with a more extended and detailed high end (unlike the the S&H CCa where the gray shield are superior). I have posted a picture, the shiny shield is the 3rd from the left and the gray the last to the right.
Try them both, but don't judge them until you have heard the shiny version. Best sounding of the date codes are the 1979 and 1980s so far.
V-Rocket vs the Amperex - way more detailed, just as musical, wider deeper sound stage, way more dynamic and open, deeper tighter bass.
V-Rocket vs the Philips- Holland SQ Halos - the V-rocket again excel, the SQ are a tad more liquid in the mid, but the V-Rocket beat them in dynamics, openness, with a wider and deeper sound stage. Both tubes are very musical, but the V-Rockets have a deeper level of detail. The detail is so great that I could things like light cymbal taps and guitar plucks that I had never heard before, even on recording that I've heard hundreds of times! This level of detail adds to the ambient clues that provide a very realistic 3-d sound staging. The musicians are holographic vs stacked flat cardboard cut-outs.
The 1979, 1980 vs later 1980s and 1990s V-Rockets.
They are all very close, but the earliest date codes are the best - with a more dynamic presentation and greater detail. I'm arranging to acquire some 1960s date codes so we'll see how they sound.
Awesome tube! especially for the money!
Yes, my hunting them out and now my initial statement of early impressions was basicly a nod to your posts. I've been breaking in for 20hrs or so. Last listen was around 8hrs in. They seemed to have more space without loss of presence. A little more punch and boom in the mid bass.
Got 4 of them for 5$ each. Value is off the scale.post #7688 of 87356/15/13 at 6:53pmQuote:However the load will be negligible.Originally Posted by ilikepooters
Basically your headphones will act as a load, current won't flow without a load, so nothing will be running through the tubes without your headphones being plugged in.
Your apple earbuds will be fine, just be very careful with the volume pot.
Better yet, turn the volume down in whatever player you use to play the pink noise sample, then you can turn up your Lyr without blowing the earbuds.post #7689 of 87356/15/13 at 6:54pmQuote:
I'm doing my Voshkod burn in right now without a load. I don't, think it matters due to the way the tubes are coupled to the output,as they run flat out, just the input signal is pot attenuated.
My brother grabbed a single ended 1/4 jack and soldered a couple 50 ohm resistors to the ground point. That was used to break in his modded Asguard (which nearly outperformed my Lyr!) Don't quote me on those resistor values,I'm not 100% on that.post #7690 of 87356/15/13 at 6:58pmpost #7691 of 87356/15/13 at 7:04pmpost #7692 of 87356/15/13 at 7:06pmQuote:
Go to the dollar store. But for god's sake man.. whatever you do, don't listen to them!post #7693 of 87356/15/13 at 8:49pmQuote:
I use the HE-500's and my setup is certainly not bright. I've actually had to work at getting the treble where I want it.
Which tubes and which cables are you using?post #7694 of 87356/16/13 at 2:13am
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Currently, there are 3011 Active Users (539 Members and 2472 Guests)
- › B&O Beoplay H7 Wireless headphones 36 seconds ago
- › Washington《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 1 minute ago
- › USA《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC sPeCiaLisT baBA... 1 minute ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 2 minutes ago
- › Birmingham《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 2 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chandigarh《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 4 minutes ago
- › Jalandhar《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › iBasso Audio DX200 Reference DAP by H20Fidelity
- › Focal Utopia by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear