The Lyr will smoke iPhone earbuds
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 513post #7681 of 87356/15/13 at 1:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7682 of 87356/15/13 at 1:26pmpost #7683 of 87356/15/13 at 4:24pmpost #7684 of 87356/15/13 at 6:09pmpost #7685 of 87356/15/13 at 6:24pmpost #7686 of 87356/15/13 at 6:40pmpost #7687 of 87356/15/13 at 6:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by rb2013
Yes! This is what I have been saying...tremendous tube! Just did an extensive comparison between the Philips-Holland E88CC SQ Halo getters (1960s date code), the Amperex US PQ 6922s and the 6n23p Voshkod Rockets 1979, 1980, 1983,etc...date codes.
The 1979 and 1980 Voshkod rockets sound better then the Amperex by a mile and even beat the SQs in most respects.
One note: I have collected a large stash of these V-Rockets and I noticed their seems to be two versions across date codes. One with a long gray shield and one with a long shiny shield - kinda' like the S&H CCa. Except the sound on the V-Rockets with the shiny shields sound way better! Much more open, with a more extended and detailed high end (unlike the the S&H CCa where the gray shield are superior). I have posted a picture, the shiny shield is the 3rd from the left and the gray the last to the right.
Try them both, but don't judge them until you have heard the shiny version. Best sounding of the date codes are the 1979 and 1980s so far.
V-Rocket vs the Amperex - way more detailed, just as musical, wider deeper sound stage, way more dynamic and open, deeper tighter bass.
V-Rocket vs the Philips- Holland SQ Halos - the V-rocket again excel, the SQ are a tad more liquid in the mid, but the V-Rocket beat them in dynamics, openness, with a wider and deeper sound stage. Both tubes are very musical, but the V-Rockets have a deeper level of detail. The detail is so great that I could things like light cymbal taps and guitar plucks that I had never heard before, even on recording that I've heard hundreds of times! This level of detail adds to the ambient clues that provide a very realistic 3-d sound staging. The musicians are holographic vs stacked flat cardboard cut-outs.
The 1979, 1980 vs later 1980s and 1990s V-Rockets.
They are all very close, but the earliest date codes are the best - with a more dynamic presentation and greater detail. I'm arranging to acquire some 1960s date codes so we'll see how they sound.
Awesome tube! especially for the money!
Yes, my hunting them out and now my initial statement of early impressions was basicly a nod to your posts. I've been breaking in for 20hrs or so. Last listen was around 8hrs in. They seemed to have more space without loss of presence. A little more punch and boom in the mid bass.
Got 4 of them for 5$ each. Value is off the scale.post #7688 of 87356/15/13 at 6:53pmQuote:However the load will be negligible.Originally Posted by ilikepooters
Basically your headphones will act as a load, current won't flow without a load, so nothing will be running through the tubes without your headphones being plugged in.
Your apple earbuds will be fine, just be very careful with the volume pot.
Better yet, turn the volume down in whatever player you use to play the pink noise sample, then you can turn up your Lyr without blowing the earbuds.post #7689 of 87356/15/13 at 6:54pmQuote:
I'm doing my Voshkod burn in right now without a load. I don't, think it matters due to the way the tubes are coupled to the output,as they run flat out, just the input signal is pot attenuated.
My brother grabbed a single ended 1/4 jack and soldered a couple 50 ohm resistors to the ground point. That was used to break in his modded Asguard (which nearly outperformed my Lyr!) Don't quote me on those resistor values,I'm not 100% on that.post #7690 of 87356/15/13 at 6:58pmpost #7691 of 87356/15/13 at 7:04pmpost #7692 of 87356/15/13 at 7:06pmQuote:
Go to the dollar store. But for god's sake man.. whatever you do, don't listen to them!post #7693 of 87356/15/13 at 8:49pmQuote:
I use the HE-500's and my setup is certainly not bright. I've actually had to work at getting the treble where I want it.
Which tubes and which cables are you using?post #7694 of 87356/16/13 at 2:13am
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
Currently, there are 3013 Active Users (661 Members and 2352 Guests)
- › HD800 Colorware Jet Black with 10' Balanced DHC Molecule Cable 4 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread 12 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 22 seconds ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 26 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Setting Up A 5.1 System with Studio Monitors 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)