Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 486  

post #7276 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by billerb1 View Post

I hear from a very reliable source they are all the detail and presence of the Lorenz SEL PCC88's...and then some.

Is that nudge enough?

Ordering after I type this

post #7277 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

Think of it as running a lightbulb at lower voltage, less heat and longer life, but won't burn as bright.

 

So "not burning as brightly" will mean they are not running optimally, but many people love the sound of the PCC88's running in Lyr, i believe many would claim the Stuttgart Lorenz PCC88's are the very best tube they've ever heard in Lyr.

 

Thanks for the very clear example. Makes good sense and longer life and less heat can only be a good thing.

 

I received a pair of Lorenz PCC88's (Czech rather than Stuttgart's) from the lovely Mr. sceleratus today and have to say they sound great despite running 'sub-optimally' biggrin.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post


+1 The Lorenz Stuttgart's sound fantastic in the Lyr. Not so with all amps however. The higher heater voltage does not work well with my Liquid Glass.

 

The Lyr does seem to be very forgiving from that point of view.

 

I'm going to forget you guys mentioning the Stuttgart's....at least for a while. I really need to spend more time enjoying the tubes I already have (4 pairs in a month of Lyr ownership) rather than adding any more to the 'must try' list  wink.gif

post #7278 of 8735

I've used Tubemonger Socket Savers (Valve Savers) for quite some time and I love the product.

 

I thought I'd post a couple photos of them from a different perspective.  Notice how "beefy" the housing is compared to the noval socket.  There is plenty of room inside for shielding/isolation.

 

 

 


Edited by sceleratus - 5/18/13 at 6:20pm
post #7279 of 8735

Fellow Lyrphiles 

 

Recently purchased a pair of Amperex 6922 PQ Whites 7L9 *6E USATest Result(s): Tube 1 = 73/78, Tube 2 = 78/76. Date Code(s): 66-37. Cost was 70$ for the pair. Was it a waste? Im seeing the popular models are the 1965s on the forums. 

 

Will the Uber upgrade on my Bifrost that is combo with Lyr compliment the white PQ tubes well? Or should i drop another bill and try to get some oranges made in 69?

 

I was just glad to get rid of the feedback when touching my volume knob that the stock GE tubes gave off. 

 

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. This is my first post so go easy on me.


Edited by PinkLed - 5/19/13 at 11:50am
post #7280 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

Recently purchased a pair of Amperex 6922 PQ Whites 7L9 *6E USATest Result(s): Tube 1 = 73/78, Tube 2 = 78/76. Date Code(s): 66-37. Cost was 70$ for the pair. Was it a waste? Im seeing the popular models are 65' on the forums. 

 

Is the Uber upgrade necessary with the white PQ tubes? Or should i drop another bill and try to get some oranges made in 69?

 

I was just glad to get rid of the feedback when touching my volume knob that the stock GE tubes gave off. 

 

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. This is my first post so go easy on me.

You want the Bifrost Uber.  No doubt.

I think those 6922's were a good value.  Not a waste at all.  They should sound great.

SQ's, spec-wise, are better than ECC88 "OG"'s 

 

I put a link to Philips Valve codes a page or two back.  It will help with decoding the etchings.

Perhaps you already have it because what you wrote looks correct.

 

 

EDIT:  To me the 6922 SQ and an OG have a different sound. One isn't necessarily better than the other.  I find more detail and a larger soundstage with the 6922.  A lot depends on the can's you are pairing them with.  I have a personal bias to 1960's valves.  "O" getters.

You should be in good shape.


Edited by sceleratus - 5/18/13 at 6:55pm
post #7281 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

You want the Bifrost Uber.  No doubt.

I think those 6922's were a good value.  Not a waste at all.  They should sound great.

SQ's, spec-wise, are better than ECC88 "OG"'s 

 

I put a link to Philips Valve codes a page or two back.  It will help with decoding the etchings.

Perhaps you already have it because what you wrote looks correct.

 

 

EDIT:  To me the 6922 SQ and an OG have a different sound. One isn't necessarily better than the other.  I find more detail and a larger soundstage with the 6922.  A lot depends on the can's you are pairing them with.  I have a personal bias to 1960's valves.  "O" getters.

You should be in good shape.

I concur, that's a pretty good price for those 6922s.  How do they sound to you?

post #7282 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

Recently purchased a pair of Amperex 6922 PQ Whites 7L9 *6E USATest Result(s): Tube 1 = 73/78, Tube 2 = 78/76. Date Code(s): 66-37. Cost was 70$ for the pair. Was it a waste? Im seeing the popular models are 65' on the forums. 

 

Is the Uber upgrade necessary with the white PQ tubes? Or should i drop another bill and try to get some oranges made in 69?

 

I was just glad to get rid of the feedback when touching my volume knob that the stock GE tubes gave off. 

 

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. This is my first post so go easy on me.

Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet! biggrin.gif

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #7283 of 8735
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

You want the Bifrost Uber.  No doubt.

I think those 6922's were a good value.  Not a waste at all.  They should sound great.

SQ's, spec-wise, are better than ECC88 "OG"'s 

 

I put a link to Philips Valve codes a page or two back.  It will help with decoding the etchings.

Perhaps you already have it because what you wrote looks correct.

 

 

EDIT:  To me the 6922 SQ and an OG have a different sound. One isn't necessarily better than the other.  I find more detail and a larger soundstage with the 6922.  A lot depends on the can's you are pairing them with.  I have a personal bias to 1960's valves.  "O" getters.

You should be in good shape.

I concur, that's a pretty good price for those 6922s.  How do they sound to you?

 

 

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet! biggrin.gif

 

Thanks fellas. The only other vintage tubes I've used in my Lyr are a non matching pair of amperex orange globes from holland (dates: 70' 73'). With the 66" PQ o-getters the low end seems much more controlled which is a nice match with the LCD2s. I felt like with the orange globes the bass was very overwhelming at times depending on the type song. (could this be due to the non-matching dates as well?) Lows with 66" o-getters are tighter and sound more natural. Now all I have to do is suck it up and send my Bifrost in for the Uber upgrade. Its going to be missed greatly while its gone. 


Edited by PinkLed - 5/19/13 at 10:08am
post #7284 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

 

 

 

Thanks fellas. The only other vintage tubes I've used in my Lyr are a non matching pair of amperex orange globes from holland (dates: 70' 73'). With the 66" PQ o-getters the low end seems much more controlled which is a nice match with the LCD2s. I felt like with the orange globes the bass was very overwhelming at times depending on the type song. (could this be due to the non-matching dates as well?) Lows with 66" o-getters are tighter and sound more natural. 

Cool


Edited by sceleratus - 5/19/13 at 10:24am
post #7285 of 8735

Any Valhalla owners heres? Seems to be a lack of you guys.

post #7286 of 8735
TQuote:
Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR View Post

Any Valhalla owners heres? Seems to be a lack of you guys.

wrong thread for that.


Edited by sceleratus - 5/19/13 at 10:26am
post #7287 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

wrong thread for that.

Now that they can roll 6922 family tubes into the Valhalla, I think the owners need to start a tube rolling thread.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends


Edited by HK_sends - 5/19/13 at 11:42am
post #7288 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Now that you can roll 6922 family tubes into the Valhalla, I think the owners need to start a tube rolling thread.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yup.

 

I'm a stuck up, crotchety, old, Lyr guy.  smile.gif

post #7289 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

Yup.

 

I'm a stuck up, crotchety, old, Lyr guy.  smile.gif

Oh, me too.  As soon as Jason said the Valhalla doesn't pair well with orthos, I had to give it a pass.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #7290 of 8735

I tried the Holland-made RTC E188CC tubes (green label, O-getter) with the uber Bifrost upgrade.  I honestly expected it to be too bright sounding for my tastes but ended up being wowed by how good these tubes sound with the uber DAC.  The treble was not overwhelming by any stretch...it was smooth and didn't make me wince at all.  I think it's due to the tubes finally settling in and maybe the uber-analog board settling down as well.  Right now, I would rank the RTCs right up there with the Mullard CV4109s as being my favorite tubes.  I am still planning to do an A/B comparison because I have rolled several different sets of tubes of late and can't make a direct comparison.

 

Until later...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends


Edited by HK_sends - 5/20/13 at 7:37am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread