Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 459  

post #6871 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Yeah, me too.  You did say "dampers", not "diapers" didn't you...?wink_face.gif

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

biggrin.gif

 

Yeah, not quite that old...

post #6872 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

biggrin.gif

 

Yeah, not quite that old...

Hey, I resemble that remark! biggrin.gif

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #6873 of 8735

These were the sort of 'budget' tubes I was talking about. These are just the common Amperex PQ 6DJ8 / ECC88s from Holland (£15 pair, about $23 before P and P (was free in UK)) but I find the 6DJ8 / ECC88 Mullards from England generally easier to find over here. I wonder whether this type of tube is just easier to find this side of the pond and hence the difference usage.

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMPEREX-ECC88-6DJ8-VALVES-TESTED-HEERLEN-MATCHED-CODES-/380631517799?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item589f680a67

post #6874 of 8735

well those 6 pairs went quickly!

post #6875 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Rhodes View Post

These are just the common Amperex PQ 6DJ8 / ECC88s from Holland -- -- but I find the 6DJ8 / ECC88 Mullards from England generally easier to find over here. I wonder whether this type of tube is just easier to find this side of the pond and hence the difference usage.

 

The common Amperex 6DJ8 is only common in the US because Amperex was a brand for the US market. In Europe, the common Philips ECC88 is the exact same tube (when both are Heerlen-made).

 

In most European countries, you can expect to find the tube branded either Philips, Miniwatt or Philips Miniwatt. Some markets had their local Philips brands such as Valvo and Mullard. Mullard, of course, also made many ECC88s in their UK factories. It's quite understandable that these are easy to find in their home market.

 

Some examples:

post #6876 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

-- -- they were made in an Amperex plant in Heerlen Netherlands (see Oskari, I got it right) -- --

 

Since you asked (kind of). You got Heerlen right. Good job! On the other hand, for reasons unknown, you wrote Amperex when you should have written Philips. The Amperex receiving tube plant was in Hicksville, Long Island, New York.

post #6877 of 8735

I have to say, big thumbs-up on the Tungsram ECC85s.   Not the widest soundstage I've ever heard, but still very good, and great depth.   They're still burning in but I'm very happy with what I've heard so far.

 

Bonus, they're dirt cheap right now.

 

    -Mike

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Well, I got a set of Tungsram ECC85s today and color me impressed!  I tried Russian 6N1Ps before and wasn't happy with the sound, but these sound pretty awesome!

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #6878 of 8735
Today I rolled the RTC tubes into the Liquid Glass amp. Surprise - with the LCD-3's - bleh, nothing good.

With the HD800's - awesome; a jaw-dropper. Precise (all frequencies), plenty of air and soundstage and musicality too. Really a beautiful match. This is what the HD800's are all about.

It's amazing how different and opposite the results are between the Lyr and LG with the same 2 phones.

I'll shut up now since this is a Lyr, and not an LG, thread. Thought you guys would want to hear about this though.
post #6879 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamel View Post

I have to say, big thumbs-up on the Tungsram ECC85s.   Not the widest soundstage I've ever heard, but still very good, and great depth.   They're still burning in but I'm very happy with what I've heard so far.

 

Bonus, they're dirt cheap right now.

 

    -Mike

 

 

 

Yeah, they give a very "natural" sound the the instruments and vocals but the sound stage is a bit narrow (imagine hearing music in a lounge or tavern vs. a music hall).

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #6880 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post

Today I rolled the RTC tubes into the Liquid Glass amp. Surprise - with the LCD-3's - bleh, nothing good.

With the HD800's - awesome; a jaw-dropper. Precise (all frequencies), plenty of air and soundstage and musicality too. Really a beautiful match. This is what the HD800's are all about.

It's amazing how different and opposite the results are between the Lyr and LG with the same 2 phones.

I'll shut up now since this is a Lyr, and not an LG, thread. Thought you guys would want to hear about this though.

It is interesting to hear how the same tubes compare in different amps.  It's kind of a bummer to collect all these great tubes for the Lyr, then change to a different amp and find that the "great" tubes aren't so great for it.

Part of the hobby, I guess...or Jason is using some kind of magic pixie-schiit dust to make the tubes sound great...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #6881 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari View Post

 

Since you asked (kind of). You got Heerlen right. Good job! On the other hand, for reasons unknown, you wrote Amperex when you should have written Philips. The Amperex receiving tube plant was in Hicksville, Long Island, New York.

I have a solution.

 

I will stick with "A company in North America. " and "A company in Europe"

post #6882 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

It is interesting to hear how the same tubes compare in different amps.  It's kind of a bummer to collect all these great tubes for the Lyr, then change to a different amp and find that the "great" tubes aren't so great for it.
Part of the hobby, I guess...or Jason is using some kind of magic pixie-schiit dust to make the tubes sound great...

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Ah, but the RTC tubes DO sound great in both amps, just with different cans!
post #6883 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post

Today I rolled the RTC tubes into the Liquid Glass amp. Surprise - with the LCD-3's - bleh, nothing good.

With the HD800's - awesome; a jaw-dropper. Precise (all frequencies), plenty of air and soundstage and musicality too. Really a beautiful match. This is what the HD800's are all about.

It's amazing how different and opposite the results are between the Lyr and LG with the same 2 phones.

I'll shut up now since this is a Lyr, and not an LG, thread. Thought you guys would want to hear about this though.

Sounds like a win - win to me.

It's about the music.

 

Thinking...

How would you compare RTC-LYR-LCD3  to RTC-LG-HD800

 

I like "jaw-dropper"

post #6884 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post


Ah, but the RTC tubes DO sound great in both amps, just with different cans!

Ah, I see.  But for me it matters since I only have one set 'o cans...LCD-2s.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #6885 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post


Ah, but the RTC tubes DO sound great in both amps, just with different cans!


R Scott, that's a good point. I wonder how the RTC's sound using the Lyr and HE-500?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread