Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 449  

post #6721 of 8735

Oh, forgot to share with you guys who don't use socket savers ... how cool that is smile.gif

 

Lyr looks so much better with raised tubes in my opinion + it's so much easier to change tubes wink.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Voskhod 6N1P's  very_evil_smiley.gif

 

 

 

Had to add what's at the end of chain basshead.gif, I'am already in love.


Edited by Flisker - 4/24/13 at 10:56am
post #6722 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flisker View Post

Oh, forgot to share with you guys who don't use socket savers ... how cool that is smile.gif

 

Lyr looks so much better with raised tubes in my opinion + it's so much easier to change tubes wink.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Voskhod 6N1P's  very_evil_smiley.gif

 

 

 

Had to add what's at the end of chain basshead.gif, I'am already in love.

Are those the free ones I sent? They are indeed very nice tubes.

post #6723 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Are those the free ones I sent? They are indeed very nice tubes.

 

Yep, sound great with T1's , they don't have harsh treble . Thanks a lot wink.gif

post #6724 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald410 View Post

Listening to 1961 Amperex O-Getters still like my globes better. Wait they're kinda of funky in good way:)

 

Mine still haven't arrived.. :(

post #6725 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flisker View Post

Oh, forgot to share with you guys who don't use socket savers ... how cool that is smile.gif

 

Lyr looks so much better with raised tubes in my opinion + it's so much easier to change tubes wink.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Voskhod 6N1P's  very_evil_smiley.gif

 

 

 

Had to add what's at the end of chain basshead.gif, I'am already in love.

 

Schweet!  beerchug.gif

post #6726 of 8735

Reflector/Saratov 6N23P's arrived yesterday (1968 year), had them on burn-in since then, took a listen today after about 22hrs.

 

I bought 3 unmatched tubes, but luckily 2 of them pair well together, cost £15 + £5 postage.

 

They have a lovely strong bass, mids aren't lush, but they're not recessed either, treble is smooth and layed back, not got the harshness i've heard described by some people, soundstage has absolutely massive width, never heard my headphones sound so much outside the head before.

 

One of the tubes is microphonic, other is pretty quiet, but don't notice it when the music is playing.

 

While not outstanding, i think these are great tubes for the price.

 

I think the ruggedised EV version would probably sort out the microphonics, but they're almost double the price, i think if you get lucky you can get 2 good non-microphonic tubes in this model.

 

Sound - 7/10

Value - 9/10

post #6727 of 8735

Those definitely stand the tubes up quite a bit.  Kind of proud looking aren't they?  biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

post #6728 of 8735
I've had excellent service from this seller for Voskhod 6n1p-ev, the tubes are super dead silent and so non microphonic you can hit them with a pencil and not hear it. Great soundstage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300693121421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6N1P-EV-6DJ8-ECC88-6922-VOSKHOD-ROCKET-tubes-Lot-4-pc-NOS-NIB-/300693121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Reflector/Saratov 6N23P's arrived yesterday (1968 year), had them on burn-in since then, took a listen today after about 22hrs.

I bought 3 unmatched tubes, but luckily 2 of them pair well together, cost £15 + £5 postage.

They have a lovely strong bass, mids aren't lush, but they're not recessed either, treble is smooth and layed back, not got the harshness i've heard described by some people, soundstage has absolutely massive width, never heard my headphones sound so much outside the head before.

One of the tubes is microphonic, other is pretty quiet, but don't notice it when the music is playing.

While not outstanding, i think these are great tubes for the price.

I think the ruggedised EV version would probably sort out the microphonics, but they're almost double the price, i think if you get lucky you can get 2 good non-microphonic tubes in this model.

Sound - 7/10
Value - 9/10
post #6729 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

I've had excellent service from this seller for Voskhod 6n1p-ev, the tubes are super dead silent and so non microphonic you can hit them with a pencil and not hear it. Great soundstage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300693121421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6N1P-EV-6DJ8-ECC88-6922-VOSKHOD-ROCKET-tubes-Lot-4-pc-NOS-NIB-/300693121421

 

I had the Voskhod 6N1P non-EV version and they were lovely, donated them to Flisker, they were the same, dead silent and non-microphonic.

 

I was just interested in trying 6N23P to see how much different they sound, the mids are fuller and treble is more layed back.

 

Voskhod 6N1P have more detail though.

 

If these 2 tubes could breed and have a baby it would make a very good tube.

post #6730 of 8735
Lol....let us know if you find their offspring. smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post


If these 2 tubes could breed and have a baby it would make a very good tube.
post #6731 of 8735

Whilst listening this evening I've become acutely aware of a high pitched, but fairly quiet, whistling/ringing noise through the right channel on my 'phones. It's only noticeable during the gaps between tracks or when I mute the source but now that I know it's there it's bugging me a bit.

 

The noise itself seems to come and go, generally lasting for a few seconds, and then going quiet from anywhere between a split second to well over a minute.The intenstity of the ringing (not sure if pitch changes) seems to vary a bit too but it doesn't appear to get any louder if I turn the pot from min to max.

 

Does this sound like a microphonic tube? I've read a various explanations of what microphonics are but the 'symptoms' seem to vary  vary from howling, feedback noise or a phone ringing sound, so really not 100%....I also have my D2000's on that seem far more sensitive to transformer/tube noise in general.

 

Thanks!


Edited by jellofund - 4/24/13 at 5:35pm
post #6732 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post

Whilst listening this evening I've become acutely aware of a high pitched, but fairly quiet, whistling/ringing noise through the right channel on my 'phones. It's only noticeable during the gaps between tracks or when I mute the source but now that I know it's there it's bugging me a bit.

 

The noise itself seems to come and go, generally lasting for a few seconds, and then going quiet from anywhere between a split second to well over a minute.The intenstity of the ringing (not sure if pitch changes) seems to vary a bit too but it doesn't appear to get any louder if I turn the pot from min to max.

 

Does this sound like a microphonic tube? I've read a various explanations of what microphonics are but the 'symptoms' seem to vary  vary from howling, feedback noise or a phone ringing sound, so really not 100%....I also have my D2000's on that seem far more sensitive to transformer/tube noise in general.

 

Thanks!

 

 

If you swap your tubes' positions, does the noise change channels?

post #6733 of 8735
Just picked these up thought there something in here that might be a winner. No more tube buying for awhile.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121096560315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
post #6734 of 8735

Listening to these Amperex USN 6922 D Getters, I really like them!  I like them even better than my beloved Amperex USN CEP 6922s.

 

They're similar in some ways, but these D Getters have a more tactile sound.  Everything sounds...  I wanna say thicker, but that's not right either.  Everything seems to have more weight.  The USN CEPs seem to sound thin by comparison.  But the weightier sound doesn't come at the expense of the excellent detail and resolution that the USN CEPs had in spades, it's all still there!  

 

These are excellent tubes!  

 

BTW, I don't mean to say that the USN CEPs are thin sounding, no.  They are also excellent tubes!

post #6735 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

 

 

If you swap your tubes' positions, does the noise change channels?


I had been wondering if each tube handled its own channel, so guessing they do.

 

If I ever manage to get the things out I will report back. I'm using a surgical glove but they're not wanting to budge without a fight, so I'm hoping these sockets are well anchored!!

 

Better to do the reverse of what you suggested when  I inserted them (straight up and down) or does some light rocking help free them up?


Edited by jellofund - 4/24/13 at 6:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread