Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 414  

post #6196 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

I can't see any etching anywhere, but on the A frame ones they have something else faintly on the glass.

 

IPA

084

 

or

 

IPA

08A

 

can't quite make it out.

 

Wherever they were made, the A frame ones sound fantastic.

IPA ?

beerchug.gif

post #6197 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

 

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

 

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

 

I ordered these as well .... in fact there was an attempted delivery yesterday and I'll be picking them up today on my way home from work.  Until you mentioned the seller's name I didn't think these were the same because I thought I was purchasing the tubes in the 1st picture.  We shall see

post #6198 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

 

I ordered these as well .... in fact there was an attempted delivery yesterday and I'll be picking them up today on my way home from work.  Until you mentioned the seller's name I didn't think these were the same because I thought I was purchasing the tubes in the 1st picture.  We shall see

 

Both tubes came from that seller, just different construction.

 

Hoping everyone gets the 2nd variety.

 

Looking forward to everyones thoughts L3000.gif

post #6199 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

I ordered these as well .... in fact there was an attempted delivery yesterday and I'll be picking them up today on my way home from work.  Until you mentioned the seller's name I didn't think these were the same because I thought I was purchasing the tubes in the 1st picture.  We shall see

Already attempted delivery ?

Message I got from seller :

"Thank you, we ship fully insured with Deutsche Post, NOT DHL.
Your stuff should appear within 2 BUSINESS DAYS in the tracking system of " Deutsche Post " .
The system depends on feedback from your post organisation, this can take some days up to several weeks, depending on the country."

Hope it won't take several weeks from Germany to Czech Republic biggrin.gif Otherwise performance of Deutsche Post would be pretty low.
post #6200 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flisker View Post


Already attempted delivery ?

Message I got from seller :

"Thank you, we ship fully insured with Deutsche Post, NOT DHL.
Your stuff should appear within 2 BUSINESS DAYS in the tracking system of " Deutsche Post " .
The system depends on feedback from your post organisation, this can take some days up to several weeks, depending on the country."

Hope it won't take several weeks from Germany to Czech Republic biggrin.gif Otherwise performance of Deutsche Post would be pretty low.

 

Seems to take about a week from Germany to UK, so Czech Rep should be quicker.

post #6201 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

 

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

 

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

Yep, I got the same ones as you did .... the A frames.  They sound great, nice non-sibilant, extended fluid highs, good bass, no microphonics.

post #6202 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

Yep, I got the same ones as you did .... the A frames.  They sound great, nice non-sibilant, extended fluid highs, good bass, no microphonics.

 

And the wide soundstage beerchug.gif

post #6203 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

And the wide soundstage beerchug.gif

 

Yes sir..... these sound wonderful through an old friend who hasn't been getting much head time recently due to newer toys...... they're perfect for the HD600

post #6204 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

You are so right.

That is far more important.  missed that one.

Tin is very active material so that it reacts with socket material.

In usual tin - tin mating pin and socket interface would form a compound layer so that it would have tendency to engage permanently.

In our case of rolling repeatedly, tin pin could be reconsidered especially when the temperature around the socket can be higher than room temperature.

Rolling tubes in this line of thinking may require gold pin connection and separation when it is necessary.

post #6205 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

 

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

 

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

dang U !!!

I visited rosemarie and got some Valo E88CC's

i always wanted a set of Valos

 

They are large O getters... which I like.

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1


Edited by sceleratus - 4/5/13 at 6:38pm
post #6206 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

The SEL's are pretty good comparatively to other affordable tubes. They're actually much better than most of the mid-tier tubes.

They don't really sound the same though.

Real Lorenz are older, rarer, etc and more importantly made in Germany. SEL made not in Germany but other parts of Europe.
I believe the more popular SEL are Nish Yugoslavian made.

The plants are what make the differences, different tech, better resources, etc.


Very true. I have both the SEL's and the Stuttgarts. The SEL's are nice, but not in the same league. Of the 20 +/- types of tubes in my collection, the Stuttgarts are clearly #1. The SEL's rank around #15 or 16.
post #6207 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post

Very true. I have both the SEL's and the Stuttgarts. The SEL's are nice, but not in the same league. Of the 20 +/- types of tubes in my collection, the Stuttgarts are clearly #1. The SEL's rank around #15 or 16.

R Scott Ireland, I'm a fellow "tube hunter" on Ebay.

So I know you shelled out between 200 to 300 big ones on Ebay for each of the Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88s.

For that kind of $$$, I suggest trying the Amperex Pinched Waist 6922s.
They are in a different league compared with other tubes.

The next closest would be a pinched Waist PCC88 or an Amperex 6922.
post #6208 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

dang U !!!

I visited rosemarie and got some Valo E88CC's

i always wanted a set of Valos

 

They are large O getters... which I like.

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

 

Have these too and they sound good with HD650.

post #6209 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonBeaver View Post

Need some help guys,
I 've been listening to my LCD-2's thru my Lyr and Bifrost combo and now i'm looking for something with a more analytical sound not syrupy. Geared towards the higher end to bring out the LCD-2. I feel like the darker sound of the LCD-2's is even more magnified through the Lyr. From what I've read the tubes below are more geared towards that brighter sound signature.

 

I'm looking at the Tesla E88CC
 http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Tesla-E88CC-%7B47%7D-6922.html

or the Tungsram 6922 red label
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Tungsram-PCC88-%7B47%7D-7DJ8.html

 

Or something else if you feel you've got a better suggestion.

 

If you don't mind getting recommendations from Aune T1 user, I recommend Amperex 7308 white label PQ and Telefunken 7DJ8. Those are definitely my most analytical and transparent tubes. I've also heard that those red label Tungsrams are considerable substitutes for Amperex 7308. I can't recommend Amperex 6DJ8 orange globes if you want to go for brighter sound. At least for me they feel warmer all across the spectrum as compared to the 7308. I also find the orange globe bass to be slightly boomy/bloated. Telefunkens are fantastic tubes for those who want neutral sound. With my 7DJ8 Teles the only complaint is that sometimes I feel the vocals could be slightly recessed (could also be just my mind playing tricks on me I guess). Another tube I really like is Siemens 7DJ8. It's slightly more forward sounding and hence more focused than the 7308 white label and Telefunken 7DJ8. But yeah, for analytical sound Teles are good.

post #6210 of 8735

With Lyr by rolling tube, what are expecting for?

The analytic sound point of view, these all things are non-sense?

Because there are lot expensive SS amp with SS dac to generate high fidelity electrical number like THD, IMD, or etc.

 

I think we seek some personal taste which is largely agreeable to small set of people who are gather together in this threadbiggrin.gif.

For one example, cost (Lyr + Siemens tube) >> Mjolnir is justified by some of us.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread