Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 403  

post #6031 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielghofrani View Post

Hi folks, started reading the thread but gave up at page 50!

I listen to a lot of classical music and to me soundstage and seperation and clear sound is the most important. I dont want to go overboard with the tubes. I want to keep the cost reasonable. 

what tubed do you recommend for me?

 

edit: just how bad are the stock ones that come with the Lyr? you would think schiit audio would take some time to find out which tube works well and choose that as stock no?

 

Well they did a pretty good job with those 6BZ7s, they're not bad.  It's just that there are better out there.  But you must pay a price.

 

I scored a nice pair of NOS Amperex USN-CEP 6922s on eBay for $185.00 this past weekend.  I wouldn't expect really good NOS tubes to be a lot cheaper than that.

 

Those are still around, but it's not exactly like they grow on trees.  The Schiit guys had to go with tubes that were also readily available.  AND, they wanted to make the price attractive.  It's a balancing act, I think they did a pretty good job.

 

Here's a link to some really good info on the tubes that will work in the Lyr:

 

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

 

If you search this thread, MrScary also posted a list of his favorites.  

 

If you can't read this entire thread those two sources should at least point you in a decent direction to start.  Good luck and have fun!  beerchug.gif

post #6032 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielghofrani View Post

Hi folks, started reading the thread but gave up at page 50!
I listen to a lot of classical music and to me soundstage and seperation and clear sound is the most important. I dont want to go overboard with the tubes. I want to keep the cost reasonable. 
what tubed do you recommend for me?

edit: just how bad are the stock ones that come with the Lyr? you would think schiit audio would take some time to find out which tube works well and choose that as stock no?

The lyr tubes are by no means terrible, but like nelamvr6 says there are better out there. The supplies of these super NOS tubes is unfortunately unreliable in addition to being rare. They have to go with what's readily available, otherwise they'll have supply chain issues, different versions out there, and both are a recipe for unhappy customers.

Getting to your situation -- I listen to almost nothing but classical these days, early music/period instrument ensembles particularly. The Telefunken PCC189 has been very very good for me, esp. with HD800s. They are affordable too so you won't have to sell that many units of plasma.
post #6033 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielghofrani View Post

Hi folks, started reading the thread but gave up at page 50!

I listen to a lot of classical music and to me soundstage and seperation and clear sound is the most important. I dont want to go overboard with the tubes. I want to keep the cost reasonable. 

what tubed do you recommend for me?

 

edit: just how bad are the stock ones that come with the Lyr? you would think schiit audio would take some time to find out which tube works well and choose that as stock no?

 

The latest tubes i've tried sound like they could be just the ticket, i posted about them a couple pages back, cheap aswell. Siemens PCC189. to me they are the epitome of soundstage, separation and clarity. especially for their pricetag anyway.

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Siemens-Halske-PCC189-7ES8-tube-NIB-superb-condition-/380540315473?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5899f86751

 

I managed to get them for about £12 a pair, a few other headfiers bought up the remaining stock i think, so hopefully more impressions will appear in the next few weeks.

 

Seems to be hard to find a seller that sells more than 1 tube atm, probably need to keep your eyes open for a little bit, and the ones i have are the tri-mica variant as posted above.

post #6034 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

I've found another budget champion.

 

I ordered some Siemens PCC189 and Phillips PCC189 and they turned up today, just rolled in the Siemens and they sound the best by far of all the tubes i have.

 

These are the ones i bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370780524004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

Only 12 Euros! and they absolutely blow the SEL Lorenz PCC88's out of the water. (Using them on my HE5-LE anyway, so YMMV depending on your 'phones)

 

They have a nice subtle warmth to them, treble is airy with a little bit of sparkle, mids are not in the slight bit recessed. Detail and separation are far above any other tube i've tried. Soundstage is expansive.

 

They bring everything together nicely, very balanced, and they've not even burned in yet!

 

*EDIT* Only negative, which is really very minor, is the volume knob needs cranking up a very slight bit more than the other tubes i have.

 

I'd order a backup pair if i had any money left eek.gif

 

I've not tried the Phillips PCC189's yet, will report on those when i've rolled them in.

 

I urge everyone to grab a pair of these Siemens though, they are truly amazing for the money, i'm awestruck listening to them.

 

Rolled in the Phillips PCC189's this morning (Made by Mullard, Blackburn plant.)

 

Now i don't know if i can love this tube, but it does excite my ears.

 

Compared to the Siemens PCC189's the warmth in the bass is immediately evident, i think this is that Mullard warmth everybody talks about, the treble is a tad bright to me, not the silky smooth treble typical of the Mullard brand (again from what others have said) but still not as bright as the Voshkod 6N1P's, and more detailed.

 

Detail and separation are slightly less than the Siemens i feel, soundstage not as expansive, but more so than than the 6N1P's.

 

Mids are there, hard to describe them really, don't stand out in any way but don't hide either.

 

They're deffinately worth rolling in to have a listen though for the price.

 

I bought a pair from this seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370780551600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

Appear to be sold out now, but i paid £13.78 for the pair.

 

There are others on ebay with the A frame dimple thing but are made in Holland, so i can't vouch for them sounding the same.

post #6035 of 8735

Cheap Siemens PCC189's are back up! there was 2 sets but i ordered another pair as backup biggrin.gif

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221206571774?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

So only 1 set left.

 

I'm putting my SEL Lorenz PCC88's and Phillips PCC189's up in the FS section if anyone's interested.

post #6036 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

Rolled in the Phillips PCC189's this morning (Made by Mullard, Blackburn plant.)

 

Now i don't know if i can love this tube, but it does excite my ears.

 

Compared to the Siemens PCC189's the warmth in the bass is immediately evident, i think this is that Mullard warmth everybody talks about, the treble is a tad bright to me, not the silky smooth treble typical of the Mullard brand (again from what others have said) but still not as bright as the Voshkod 6N1P's, and more detailed.

 

 

Every new tube I've tried has a bit of this. Some more than others. They all calm down a bit after 100+hrs. Some less than others.

 

For instance, I one of my SEL Lorenz PCC88's blew up, so I went back to a backup pair. Their pretty good, but break-in is required all over again. I was listening all day after 20hrs of break-in. I switched to some Amperex 69's OGs that came in the mail. Great, but tad harsh again. Same thing - break-in _required_.  I jumped to my Siemens E88CCs which I previously felt I could not listen to due to the harshness. Recently I put a couple more nights of run-in on them to get them to ~125hrs.  LO and BEHOLD they sounded better than those nasty new tubes.  Their still harsh on the majority of recordings, but I haven't given up on them yet. Especially harsh metal guitars and cymbals (bloody kisses), but I found recordings I could now use them with.

Today back to my Amperex '67's OGs that are fully broken in.  They sound a bit wooly by comparison, but their so smooth.

 

I now use a crappy pair of HP for overnight tube break-in time. Seems to do the trick. I may just let those Siemens E88CCs run the whole long weekend to see if they can in fact be smoothed out or not, since they do everything else great.

post #6037 of 8735

The stoke tube of GE is wonderful for my ears with HE-5LE.

I do not have chance to roll other tubes, but Wagner sounds very good.

High is very clear and bass gets textured which is more richer than with HE400.

Generally known that HE400 has more bass than He-5le but final impact for BASS of HE-5le is greater than of He-400.

Simply the stock tubes is good enough for me, and might protect the amp by avoing unnecessary injecting mechanical stresses during the rolling processes.

post #6038 of 8735
Socket Savers
post #6039 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post

The stoke tube of GE is wonderful for my ears with HE-5LE.

I do not have chance to roll other tubes, but Wagner sounds very good.

High is very clear and bass gets textured which is more richer than with HE400.

Generally known that HE400 has more bass than He-5le but final impact for BASS of HE-5le is greater than of He-400.

Simply the stock tubes is good enough for me, and might protect the amp by avoing unnecessary injecting mechanical stresses during the rolling processes.

 

Grats on the 100th post.

post #6040 of 8735

So can someone please confirm these are NOT S&H grey plates? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221201936367?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2648

 

I'm loosing sleep over this. tongue_smile.gif

post #6041 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post

So can someone please confirm these are NOT S&H grey plates? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221201936367?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2648

 

I'm loosing sleep over this. tongue_smile.gif

 

Dunno, all the plates look pretty much grey to me confused.gif

post #6042 of 8735

Hi guys.

what do you think about "Amperex 6922 PQ E88CC Vacuum Tubes USA 6DJ8 E188CC 7308|, for which I am bidding?

Is it good for He-5le?

post #6043 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post

Simply the stock tubes is good enough for me, and might protect the amp by avoing unnecessary injecting mechanical stresses during the rolling processes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post

Hi guys.

what do you think about "Amperex 6922 PQ E88CC Vacuum Tubes USA 6DJ8 E188CC 7308|, for which I am bidding?

Is it good for He-5le?

 

That didn't take long. biggrin.gif


Edited by Radioking59 - 3/29/13 at 10:22am
post #6044 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

 

 

That didn't take long. biggrin.gif

Because I became one of your who are all explorers to a better place.

Let me control myself.wink_face.gif


Edited by Joong - 3/29/13 at 11:41am
post #6045 of 8735

A vacuum tube extractor in the link below is OK with Lyr?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160361805626?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

 

As I read through this thread, I think i need to buy one.

Give me an advice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread