Sorry, that didn't even enter my mind. No. it's just the lighting, no worries.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Having those for 5 months, I am very impressed as they openned up really with my senheiser momentum after some burn in. I use them with my laptop (pc). This review will be about the VERY good...
Sony XB90EX Review This is not gonna be super in depth but just a small review and a comparison to the Sony XBA30. Ok so first thing I noticed when unboxing, wow they are big! Definitely much...
first review. yayyyyyyyyyy, so here we go. I am no super expert in headphones, but heres what I think the bass is very rumbling. I think that it wasn't as thumping or hard hitting as i would like...
I currently had done a review for the Fostex HP-A3 DAC/amp unit, which is a couple years old, but none the less one of the best units in the price range from experience and reading material...
Bought these in an airport as my other earbuds had stopped working. Even though I bought these in an emergency I immediately regret this purchase. They are definitely worse than the old apple...
- Headphone Impedance
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi guys, could you inform me of what defines a tube in terms of size or type or capacity by numbers ?
Some type of tube is not compatible with Lyr but other types are well matched.
How could I know this by label or numbers?
Its just the photo, they are clear glass like every other tube. Hopefully you can find a pair instead of getting jacked on a quad. FWIW, Brimars are the same tube essentially, but perhaps a bit better quality wise, its not night and day I would say, but Brimar to me is just a little more lush, a little more full and a little more soundstage. They are usually the same price.
Got any recommendations? I love soundstage, and I love my highs, not a bass head AT ALL.
Does anyone have four cheap tubes (of the same brand/model and break-in status) they are willing to sell? I want to run an experiment with my two Lyrs (one modded and the other not), but I don't actually have four identical tubes to use. I recall many pages ago that folks were buying wholesale lots, and received 10 or a dozen of the same tube - which is just what I need! I'm not worried about tube quality (as long as they work). Sure, it would be nice to test the Lyrs with amazing tubes, but I'm not buying a quad of CCAs just to run this test!
Thanks! Please PM me if you have any extras to offload. I'd also be able to trade some Electroharmonix or other low end tubes if you would like to have some to play with.
Edited by rdaneel - 3/25/13 at 10:25am
toschek, I picked up a Lyr modded by Steve Nugent at Empirical Audio. They used it for a demo that required headphones. So far it sounds fabulous to me, but I haven't yet compared it to a bone stock Lyr to inform my opinion. I got a good deal on a stock Lyr that came with some Telefunkens that I can use with whichever Lyr I prefer.
The mods included:
1) swap in 4 high-voltage PentaCap teflon signal coupling caps to replace the stock Wima Polypropylene caps
2) swap in high-voltage Black-Gate electrolytic cap for plate voltage
3) addition of a couple Panasonic low-ESR series electrolytics to replace inexpensive caps for low-voltage decoupling
4) addition of high-voltage HF decoupling cap for plate voltage
5) addition of 4 low-voltage HF decoupling caps
Supposedly, these are hundreds of dollars in parts (not to mention the labor involved), so I'm curious to see how much of an audible difference I hear. I want to try and do this as blindly as possible to remove any type of expectation bias. I figure that if I have four identical tubes, I can set the Lyrs up so all I have to is swap the cables. If I cover the serial numbers and let my wife arrange them in the rack, I won't know which is which.
Oh that's the one that comes up when you search "Lyr mods" in Google. I really want to hear your comparisons.
As far as tubes to use, check flea bay for matched PCC189s or 6N1Ps, they are both hella cheap and work fine in the Lyr.
Thanks. I appreciate the ebay link. If no one here has extras they don't need (I was hoping to keep the sale "in the family") I'll definitely try some of those 6N1Ps. How is it that I already have five pairs of tubes and I have had the Lyr for less than a month?
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Beyer DT150 Experience 20 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: ... 57 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › The BEST-LOOKING Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Bought the HE-560, looking at WooAudio for an amp upgrade 7 minutes ago
- › DacMagic XS USB DAC Headphone Amp by Davidoffdgh
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by classycans
- › Audio Poutine CDAC+ by WhiskeyJacks
- › Hama HK-3063 by Blanejmc
- › Calyx Audio M by Currawong
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms by MrTechAgent
- › T-PEOS H-100II by mark2410
- › Yulong Audio D200 32bit 384khz DSD DAC by customNuts
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)