Sorry, that didn't even enter my mind. No. it's just the lighting, no worries.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
*Not an audio professional review, only my user opinion* After listening to lots of headphones inside this price ranger I decided on these. I was first worried cause lately I was reading lots...
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz and MP4 Nation for providing a sample of the S5 for review. It was late last month when I received a message from the folks at...
help!! I'm fallling!!!!!!!(photoshop lvl expert) For any Sony DAPs, the letter goes for a kind/category of DAP. The first numbers for the model and the last number is always for the onboard...
Background and listening experience: I bought these as a complementary headphone for my ZMF Vibros. I wanted something open and I've been curious about Audio Technica for a while. In the past, I've...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 400post #5986 of 87353/23/13 at 4:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5987 of 87353/23/13 at 4:49pmpost #5988 of 87353/23/13 at 7:25pm
Hi guys, could you inform me of what defines a tube in terms of size or type or capacity by numbers ?
Some type of tube is not compatible with Lyr but other types are well matched.
How could I know this by label or numbers?post #5989 of 87353/23/13 at 7:48pmpost #5990 of 87353/24/13 at 1:29amQuote:
Its just the photo, they are clear glass like every other tube. Hopefully you can find a pair instead of getting jacked on a quad. FWIW, Brimars are the same tube essentially, but perhaps a bit better quality wise, its not night and day I would say, but Brimar to me is just a little more lush, a little more full and a little more soundstage. They are usually the same price.post #5991 of 87353/24/13 at 1:31ampost #5992 of 87353/24/13 at 9:35ampost #5993 of 87353/24/13 at 1:19pmI'm looking for some tubes <$25. I replaced stock with some other pair, and I notice a difference, mostly in detail, but the soundstage doesn't seam so fantastic. I think the tubes are Ge but not sure.
Got any recommendations? I love soundstage, and I love my highs, not a bass head AT ALL.post #5994 of 87353/25/13 at 3:59ampost #5995 of 87353/25/13 at 10:10ampost #5996 of 87353/25/13 at 10:22am
Does anyone have four cheap tubes (of the same brand/model and break-in status) they are willing to sell? I want to run an experiment with my two Lyrs (one modded and the other not), but I don't actually have four identical tubes to use. I recall many pages ago that folks were buying wholesale lots, and received 10 or a dozen of the same tube - which is just what I need! I'm not worried about tube quality (as long as they work). Sure, it would be nice to test the Lyrs with amazing tubes, but I'm not buying a quad of CCAs just to run this test!
Thanks! Please PM me if you have any extras to offload. I'd also be able to trade some Electroharmonix or other low end tubes if you would like to have some to play with.
Edited by rdaneel - 3/25/13 at 10:25ampost #5997 of 87353/25/13 at 10:26ampost #5998 of 87353/25/13 at 10:37am
toschek, I picked up a Lyr modded by Steve Nugent at Empirical Audio. They used it for a demo that required headphones. So far it sounds fabulous to me, but I haven't yet compared it to a bone stock Lyr to inform my opinion. I got a good deal on a stock Lyr that came with some Telefunkens that I can use with whichever Lyr I prefer.
The mods included:
1) swap in 4 high-voltage PentaCap teflon signal coupling caps to replace the stock Wima Polypropylene caps
2) swap in high-voltage Black-Gate electrolytic cap for plate voltage
3) addition of a couple Panasonic low-ESR series electrolytics to replace inexpensive caps for low-voltage decoupling
4) addition of high-voltage HF decoupling cap for plate voltage
5) addition of 4 low-voltage HF decoupling caps
Supposedly, these are hundreds of dollars in parts (not to mention the labor involved), so I'm curious to see how much of an audible difference I hear. I want to try and do this as blindly as possible to remove any type of expectation bias. I figure that if I have four identical tubes, I can set the Lyrs up so all I have to is swap the cables. If I cover the serial numbers and let my wife arrange them in the rack, I won't know which is which.post #5999 of 87353/25/13 at 11:07am
Oh that's the one that comes up when you search "Lyr mods" in Google. I really want to hear your comparisons.
As far as tubes to use, check flea bay for matched PCC189s or 6N1Ps, they are both hella cheap and work fine in the Lyr.post #6000 of 87353/25/13 at 11:59am
Thanks. I appreciate the ebay link. If no one here has extras they don't need (I was hoping to keep the sale "in the family") I'll definitely try some of those 6N1Ps. How is it that I already have five pairs of tubes and I have had the Lyr for less than a month?
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Sony MDR-XB90EX vs. MDR-EX650 8 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 51 seconds ago
- › Visit to the Schiit Box - Schiit Factory Tour 2 minutes ago
- › Review of soundmagic es10 , es18 , creative ep600 , cowon ce1 , jbl... 3 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC" 4 minutes ago
- › Meier Audio Daccord 5 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Best looking tube amp 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)