Sorry, that didn't even enter my mind. No. it's just the lighting, no worries.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero By NLNH around April 16th. I received...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 400post #5986 of 87353/23/13 at 4:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5987 of 87353/23/13 at 4:49pmpost #5988 of 87353/23/13 at 7:25pm
Hi guys, could you inform me of what defines a tube in terms of size or type or capacity by numbers ?
Some type of tube is not compatible with Lyr but other types are well matched.
How could I know this by label or numbers?post #5989 of 87353/23/13 at 7:48pmpost #5990 of 87353/24/13 at 1:29amQuote:
Its just the photo, they are clear glass like every other tube. Hopefully you can find a pair instead of getting jacked on a quad. FWIW, Brimars are the same tube essentially, but perhaps a bit better quality wise, its not night and day I would say, but Brimar to me is just a little more lush, a little more full and a little more soundstage. They are usually the same price.post #5991 of 87353/24/13 at 1:31ampost #5992 of 87353/24/13 at 9:35ampost #5993 of 87353/24/13 at 1:19pmI'm looking for some tubes <$25. I replaced stock with some other pair, and I notice a difference, mostly in detail, but the soundstage doesn't seam so fantastic. I think the tubes are Ge but not sure.
Got any recommendations? I love soundstage, and I love my highs, not a bass head AT ALL.post #5994 of 87353/25/13 at 3:59ampost #5995 of 87353/25/13 at 10:10ampost #5996 of 87353/25/13 at 10:22am
Does anyone have four cheap tubes (of the same brand/model and break-in status) they are willing to sell? I want to run an experiment with my two Lyrs (one modded and the other not), but I don't actually have four identical tubes to use. I recall many pages ago that folks were buying wholesale lots, and received 10 or a dozen of the same tube - which is just what I need! I'm not worried about tube quality (as long as they work). Sure, it would be nice to test the Lyrs with amazing tubes, but I'm not buying a quad of CCAs just to run this test!
Thanks! Please PM me if you have any extras to offload. I'd also be able to trade some Electroharmonix or other low end tubes if you would like to have some to play with.
Edited by rdaneel - 3/25/13 at 10:25ampost #5997 of 87353/25/13 at 10:26ampost #5998 of 87353/25/13 at 10:37am
toschek, I picked up a Lyr modded by Steve Nugent at Empirical Audio. They used it for a demo that required headphones. So far it sounds fabulous to me, but I haven't yet compared it to a bone stock Lyr to inform my opinion. I got a good deal on a stock Lyr that came with some Telefunkens that I can use with whichever Lyr I prefer.
The mods included:
1) swap in 4 high-voltage PentaCap teflon signal coupling caps to replace the stock Wima Polypropylene caps
2) swap in high-voltage Black-Gate electrolytic cap for plate voltage
3) addition of a couple Panasonic low-ESR series electrolytics to replace inexpensive caps for low-voltage decoupling
4) addition of high-voltage HF decoupling cap for plate voltage
5) addition of 4 low-voltage HF decoupling caps
Supposedly, these are hundreds of dollars in parts (not to mention the labor involved), so I'm curious to see how much of an audible difference I hear. I want to try and do this as blindly as possible to remove any type of expectation bias. I figure that if I have four identical tubes, I can set the Lyrs up so all I have to is swap the cables. If I cover the serial numbers and let my wife arrange them in the rack, I won't know which is which.post #5999 of 87353/25/13 at 11:07am
Oh that's the one that comes up when you search "Lyr mods" in Google. I really want to hear your comparisons.
As far as tubes to use, check flea bay for matched PCC189s or 6N1Ps, they are both hella cheap and work fine in the Lyr.post #6000 of 87353/25/13 at 11:59am
Thanks. I appreciate the ebay link. If no one here has extras they don't need (I was hoping to keep the sale "in the family") I'll definitely try some of those 6N1Ps. How is it that I already have five pairs of tubes and I have had the Lyr for less than a month?
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 34 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Anyone tried AGPtek players ? 4 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 6 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic... 9 minutes ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 10 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 11 minutes ago
- › Audiophiles in Dubai? 11 minutes ago
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...