Sorry, that didn't even enter my mind. No. it's just the lighting, no worries.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Purchase link:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TC200/32633785024.html I was a strong believer that the more expensive the headphones are the better they sound. After hearing Earbell (or Mrice) E100,...
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 400post #5986 of 87353/23/13 at 4:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5987 of 87353/23/13 at 4:49pmpost #5988 of 87353/23/13 at 7:25pm
Hi guys, could you inform me of what defines a tube in terms of size or type or capacity by numbers ?
Some type of tube is not compatible with Lyr but other types are well matched.
How could I know this by label or numbers?post #5989 of 87353/23/13 at 7:48pmpost #5990 of 87353/24/13 at 1:29amQuote:
Its just the photo, they are clear glass like every other tube. Hopefully you can find a pair instead of getting jacked on a quad. FWIW, Brimars are the same tube essentially, but perhaps a bit better quality wise, its not night and day I would say, but Brimar to me is just a little more lush, a little more full and a little more soundstage. They are usually the same price.post #5991 of 87353/24/13 at 1:31ampost #5992 of 87353/24/13 at 9:35ampost #5993 of 87353/24/13 at 1:19pmI'm looking for some tubes <$25. I replaced stock with some other pair, and I notice a difference, mostly in detail, but the soundstage doesn't seam so fantastic. I think the tubes are Ge but not sure.
Got any recommendations? I love soundstage, and I love my highs, not a bass head AT ALL.post #5994 of 87353/25/13 at 3:59ampost #5995 of 87353/25/13 at 10:10ampost #5996 of 87353/25/13 at 10:22am
Does anyone have four cheap tubes (of the same brand/model and break-in status) they are willing to sell? I want to run an experiment with my two Lyrs (one modded and the other not), but I don't actually have four identical tubes to use. I recall many pages ago that folks were buying wholesale lots, and received 10 or a dozen of the same tube - which is just what I need! I'm not worried about tube quality (as long as they work). Sure, it would be nice to test the Lyrs with amazing tubes, but I'm not buying a quad of CCAs just to run this test!
Thanks! Please PM me if you have any extras to offload. I'd also be able to trade some Electroharmonix or other low end tubes if you would like to have some to play with.
Edited by rdaneel - 3/25/13 at 10:25ampost #5997 of 87353/25/13 at 10:26ampost #5998 of 87353/25/13 at 10:37am
toschek, I picked up a Lyr modded by Steve Nugent at Empirical Audio. They used it for a demo that required headphones. So far it sounds fabulous to me, but I haven't yet compared it to a bone stock Lyr to inform my opinion. I got a good deal on a stock Lyr that came with some Telefunkens that I can use with whichever Lyr I prefer.
The mods included:
1) swap in 4 high-voltage PentaCap teflon signal coupling caps to replace the stock Wima Polypropylene caps
2) swap in high-voltage Black-Gate electrolytic cap for plate voltage
3) addition of a couple Panasonic low-ESR series electrolytics to replace inexpensive caps for low-voltage decoupling
4) addition of high-voltage HF decoupling cap for plate voltage
5) addition of 4 low-voltage HF decoupling caps
Supposedly, these are hundreds of dollars in parts (not to mention the labor involved), so I'm curious to see how much of an audible difference I hear. I want to try and do this as blindly as possible to remove any type of expectation bias. I figure that if I have four identical tubes, I can set the Lyrs up so all I have to is swap the cables. If I cover the serial numbers and let my wife arrange them in the rack, I won't know which is which.post #5999 of 87353/25/13 at 11:07am
Oh that's the one that comes up when you search "Lyr mods" in Google. I really want to hear your comparisons.
As far as tubes to use, check flea bay for matched PCC189s or 6N1Ps, they are both hella cheap and work fine in the Lyr.post #6000 of 87353/25/13 at 11:59am
Thanks. I appreciate the ebay link. If no one here has extras they don't need (I was hoping to keep the sale "in the family") I'll definitely try some of those 6N1Ps. How is it that I already have five pairs of tubes and I have had the Lyr for less than a month?
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 8 seconds ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 25 seconds ago
- › Vape-Fi 28 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse