Sorry, that didn't even enter my mind. No. it's just the lighting, no worries.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:18am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Vibro Labs Aria (universal) – initial impressions In my travels on Head-Fi over the last year or so, Vibro Labs is a name I had heard bandied around in various forums, mainly as makers of...
Alright, these are the most confusing set of cans I've ever owned. Why are they so cheap? It doesn't make any sense. Right out of the gate, these are the most comfortable set of headphones...
These are easily my favorite headphones I own. My review will be assuming you have Shure 1540 pads, but I'll go over some other options as well. Lets get the big negative out of the way now....
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 400post #5986 of 87353/23/13 at 4:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5987 of 87353/23/13 at 4:49pmpost #5988 of 87353/23/13 at 7:25pm
Hi guys, could you inform me of what defines a tube in terms of size or type or capacity by numbers ?
Some type of tube is not compatible with Lyr but other types are well matched.
How could I know this by label or numbers?post #5989 of 87353/23/13 at 7:48pmpost #5990 of 87353/24/13 at 1:29amQuote:
Its just the photo, they are clear glass like every other tube. Hopefully you can find a pair instead of getting jacked on a quad. FWIW, Brimars are the same tube essentially, but perhaps a bit better quality wise, its not night and day I would say, but Brimar to me is just a little more lush, a little more full and a little more soundstage. They are usually the same price.post #5991 of 87353/24/13 at 1:31ampost #5992 of 87353/24/13 at 9:35ampost #5993 of 87353/24/13 at 1:19pmI'm looking for some tubes <$25. I replaced stock with some other pair, and I notice a difference, mostly in detail, but the soundstage doesn't seam so fantastic. I think the tubes are Ge but not sure.
Got any recommendations? I love soundstage, and I love my highs, not a bass head AT ALL.post #5994 of 87353/25/13 at 3:59ampost #5995 of 87353/25/13 at 10:10ampost #5996 of 87353/25/13 at 10:22am
Does anyone have four cheap tubes (of the same brand/model and break-in status) they are willing to sell? I want to run an experiment with my two Lyrs (one modded and the other not), but I don't actually have four identical tubes to use. I recall many pages ago that folks were buying wholesale lots, and received 10 or a dozen of the same tube - which is just what I need! I'm not worried about tube quality (as long as they work). Sure, it would be nice to test the Lyrs with amazing tubes, but I'm not buying a quad of CCAs just to run this test!
Thanks! Please PM me if you have any extras to offload. I'd also be able to trade some Electroharmonix or other low end tubes if you would like to have some to play with.
Edited by rdaneel - 3/25/13 at 10:25ampost #5997 of 87353/25/13 at 10:26ampost #5998 of 87353/25/13 at 10:37am
toschek, I picked up a Lyr modded by Steve Nugent at Empirical Audio. They used it for a demo that required headphones. So far it sounds fabulous to me, but I haven't yet compared it to a bone stock Lyr to inform my opinion. I got a good deal on a stock Lyr that came with some Telefunkens that I can use with whichever Lyr I prefer.
The mods included:
1) swap in 4 high-voltage PentaCap teflon signal coupling caps to replace the stock Wima Polypropylene caps
2) swap in high-voltage Black-Gate electrolytic cap for plate voltage
3) addition of a couple Panasonic low-ESR series electrolytics to replace inexpensive caps for low-voltage decoupling
4) addition of high-voltage HF decoupling cap for plate voltage
5) addition of 4 low-voltage HF decoupling caps
Supposedly, these are hundreds of dollars in parts (not to mention the labor involved), so I'm curious to see how much of an audible difference I hear. I want to try and do this as blindly as possible to remove any type of expectation bias. I figure that if I have four identical tubes, I can set the Lyrs up so all I have to is swap the cables. If I cover the serial numbers and let my wife arrange them in the rack, I won't know which is which.post #5999 of 87353/25/13 at 11:07am
Oh that's the one that comes up when you search "Lyr mods" in Google. I really want to hear your comparisons.
As far as tubes to use, check flea bay for matched PCC189s or 6N1Ps, they are both hella cheap and work fine in the Lyr.post #6000 of 87353/25/13 at 11:59am
Thanks. I appreciate the ebay link. If no one here has extras they don't need (I was hoping to keep the sale "in the family") I'll definitely try some of those 6N1Ps. How is it that I already have five pairs of tubes and I have had the Lyr for less than a month?
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 8 seconds ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 20 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 2 minutes ago
- › Enigma Acoustics Dharma D1000 3 minutes ago
- › 2016 CanJam @ RMAF, October 7-9, 2016: The Exhibitor List! 5 minutes ago
- › 2016 Southeastern Michigan FALL Head-Fi Meet: SATURDAY, OCTOBER... 5 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 8 minutes ago
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...