Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 397  

post #5941 of 8735

Can anyone recommend me a variety of tubes that go well with the HD800s and the percieved signatures of each?

post #5942 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post

Hi guys,

 

I just join this Lyr party with perplexed feeling.

Schiit Lyr has warmed up and stayed in more than 40 C degree or more than 100 F degree.

Is it normal or abnormal?

I feel the high temperature level all over the place on housing....confused_face_2.gif, which has not been the case with Emotiva or my SS amp like Little dot mkvii+.

Anodized surface is little bit dirts, which is not removed by scrubbing with watered paper towel...and stains are spotted here and there in different positions.

 

He-400s are connected to the amp with stock GE tubes, and SQ is equivalent or not noticeably better than that of Emotiva

Socket Saver does wonders IMO. Definitely releases some heat off of the already hot Lyr.

post #5943 of 8735

After trying the Voshkod 6N1P's is it time to order some 6N23P's?

 

I've heard they're a better tube, but which one is favoured? Saratov, Reflektor or Voshkod?

 

I love rockin' the cheap Russkiy tubes i do L3000.gif

post #5944 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

After trying the Voshkod 6N1P's is it time to order some 6N23P's?

 

 

If you read this thread from the beginning, that was the usual progression.

 

Or, you can just skip to the end and find a nice pair of Mullard CV2492/93 and be done with it. smile.gif

 

YMMV. beerchug.gif

post #5945 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperbombers View Post

Socket Saver does wonders IMO. Definitely releases some heat off of the already hot Lyr.


Good point! I also think the Lyr runs a few degrees cooler using the Socket Savers.

 

IMO, the only downside to the Socket Savers is that I now seem to only buy tubes that have the logos oriented forward, so I can see them.

 

beerchug.gif

post #5946 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

If you read this thread from the beginning, that was the usual progression.

 

Or, you can just skip to the end and find a nice pair of Mullard CV2492/93 and be done with it. smile.gif

 

YMMV. beerchug.gif

 

The Mullard's are silly expensive though, especially for a matched pair.

 

I might just buy odd single tubes and match them by ear.

post #5947 of 8735

After a long day of listening, I was getting ready to pack up. I was tapping the front facing PCC88 tube when the bugger bit me back!

 

By bite, I mean acoustically. A loud snap in my right ear. Loud enough, just shy of triggering a ringing. So I turned the unit off and it did it again on the power down. Waited a while. Powered back on cautiously.

 

Seemed fine after about 60 seconds, I pulled the 1/4 HP connector out and got a good snap again. I put the headphones back in (yah I know... ) then got another good snap one on power down again.  The volume was completely down, which had no attenuation effect on the snaps.

 

It's been off since, and I haven't had time to get back to it. Thinking perhaps I need a cheap pair of phones to experiment with before I start testing again. frown.gif

 

I emailed Schiit and suggested possibly a bad tube and Jason figures it's most likely too.

 

I'd appreciate any input.
 

post #5948 of 8735
I had that happen once too, it went away after I reseated there socket saver and tube.
post #5949 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


Good point! I also think the Lyr runs a few degrees cooler using the Socket Savers.

 

IMO, the only downside to the Socket Savers is that I now seem to only buy tubes that have the logos oriented forward, so I can see them.

 

beerchug.gif

Cover the tubes with tube dampers and it won't matter if the have logos or not.wink_face.gif

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #5950 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Cover the tubes with tube dampers and it won't matter if the have logos or not.wink_face.gif

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends


Ok, but the voices in my head say to make sure the damper rings are perfectly centered wink.gif

 

beerchug.gif

post #5951 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaChicken View Post

Can anyone recommend me a variety of tubes that go well with the HD800s and the percieved signatures of each?

There are lots of ones to try, my favorites with hd800s are in order:

1. Amperex 7308 gold pin/white label JAN-CEP - Very holographic, great mids, neutral - around $150-$175/pair

2. Brimar CV2492 - slightly more intimate soundstage, balanced presentation, warmish - around $100 - $120/pair

3. Telefunken 6922 - best soundstage but not as three dimensional as #1, balanced bass/mids/treble, totally neutral - around $300-$400/pair.

If I were doing this over, I would have bought two sets of #1 and called it a day.

Telefunken PCC189 is creeping up to the top 3 but since they are brand new and only burned in for 16 hours I can't in good conscience put them in the running. They are a lot like a hybrid of #1 & #3 so far though and if they improve much with burn in they will easily be my new #1 and I'll endeavor to sell off the Telefunken 6922s. Cost of PCC189 - $45-$50/pair. FYI, Telefunken PCC189 isn't even supposed to be the best of that lot, Dario/Miniwatt are supposed to be even better. Someone's selling a lot of 35/pc tubes of those and I'm considering buying it and selling them back to Head-Fi at cost ($5.50 - $$ auction final price - they aren't buy it now unfortunately) plus shipping.

YMMV, etc.
Edited by toschek - 3/21/13 at 11:51am
post #5952 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

I had that happen once too, it went away after I reseated there socket saver and tube.

 

Well I found a use for a pair of Apple Ear buds after all...

 

The issue followed the SEL LORENZ PCC88 tube. Got it to dead short dump into whichever socket channel it was in. That little earbud jumped around in my hand like a Mexican jumping bean. Replacing the tube fixed it. Glad I grabbed spares.... Hey funny enough the earbud survived. You just can't kill crap can you?

 

A moment of silence for the SEL...

 

I'll be cracking it open later to see if I can identify the failure visually.

post #5953 of 8735

If someone has a matched pair of Matsu****as please PM me. I also interested in Amperex   Jan 7308 Orange Label Gold Pin and Tesla.

post #5954 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Got my Voshkod 6N1P's (Gold grids) today.... Wow!

 

These things sound amazing for the price.

 

Bass extends all the way down to the floor and is very impactful, treble is nice and sparkly albeit natural sounding, mids are a bit relaxed though. Very much a slight V shape going on here with the sound signature.

 

Sound stage i wouldn't call expansive, it's deffinately there, but a little more intimate than i would like.

 

They are very detailed, almost to the point of being clinically precise, but i like that.

 

I reckon these would go well with a neutral sounding headphone if you wanted to add a touch of colour to your sound, any 'phones with a lot of bass or sparkly treble are gonna be exaggerated.

 

Cost me $13.59 for a matched pair from ebay, absolute bargain in my book.

 

I rate these as joint 1st place in my collection of tubes so far.

 

1st= SEL Lorenz PCC88

1st= 6N1P Voshkod

3rd GE 6BZ7

4th 6N1P-VI Novosibirsk

5th RCA 6BQ7A Black plates

Your phones are He-5le with these tube?

post #5955 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Got my Voshkod 6N1P's (Gold grids) today.... Wow!

 

These things sound amazing for the price.

 

Bass extends all the way down to the floor and is very impactful, treble is nice and sparkly albeit natural sounding, mids are a bit relaxed though. Very much a slight V shape going on here with the sound signature.

 

Sound stage i wouldn't call expansive, it's deffinately there, but a little more intimate than i would like.

 

They are very detailed, almost to the point of being clinically precise, but i like that.

 

I reckon these would go well with a neutral sounding headphone if you wanted to add a touch of colour to your sound, any 'phones with a lot of bass or sparkly treble are gonna be exaggerated.

 

Cost me $13.59 for a matched pair from ebay, absolute bargain in my book.

 

I rate these as joint 1st place in my collection of tubes so far.

 

1st= SEL Lorenz PCC88

1st= 6N1P Voshkod

3rd GE 6BZ7

4th 6N1P-VI Novosibirsk

5th RCA 6BQ7A Black plates

Your phones are He-5le with these tube?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread