Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 390  

post #5836 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

hi lyr people biggrin.gifburning in some 6N23P-EV tubes (Reflector brand) i bought a few weeks ago, i don't have a lyr, but i have a WA2 and since the WA2 threads don't discuss 6922/E88CC tubes much, i've been checking this thread out lately.

 

anyways, i wanted to say, even at just under 20 hours burn in, i'm very impressed by these tubes. they sound just as good as my more expensive JAN-Sylvania 7308,  Great tube for the price!!  can't wait to hear what they'll sound like when they're fully burned in. as of now, i'm really liking their bass and overall presentation, i almost mistaked my T1's bass for that of the dt 990s, tons of punch, its awesome!

 

i can see this tube being really good for LCD-2 or HD 650s too!

 

I found them a little narrow, but yea the PUNCH!

post #5837 of 8735

Got Olgas Lorenz SELs just now. Yehaw, that was fast.

post #5838 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post

Maybe Iamnothim comeback with different name? LOL deadhorse.gif

with IamSothim?

 

SWIM

post #5839 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post

Got Olgas Lorenz SELs just now. Yehaw, that was fast.


is that you second set?

post #5840 of 8735

I recently ordered a Lyr to power an Audeze LCD2 I was evaluating for purchase. I ordered it with the alternate JJ tubes the Schiit company offered instead of the standard GE tubes, as a web reviewer stated the JJ's sounded clearer, which sounded good to me. The Lyr with the JJ tubes drove the Audeze LCD2 headphones nicely. The LCD2 also sounded fairly good from the headphone jack of the Marantz 5004 CD player that was feeding signal to the Lyr. Then I tried plugging in my previous favorite, my Sennheiser 595 headphones. For some reason, they sounded thin in bass and exaggerated in the treble end. The Sennheisers sounded just fine through the Marantz headphone jack.

I contacted Schiit about this, and said I'd like to return the Lyr, as I didn't want an amp that was only good for one headphone. Jason at Schiit was very nice about it, and later said he could not figure out why the Sennheisers sounded like they did. I had a few audiophile friends over during my evaluation and they confirmed my impressions, so it wasn't just me. I don't know what was going on, and hated to return what seemed a very nice and well rated amp. But didn't want the return period to expire while I tried to figure out the reason for the problem.

The LCD2 is shown as a 60 ohm impedence, while the 595 is shown as 50 ohms. Though not much of a difference, maybe that was the issue?

Or maybe the reason the the JJ tubes sounded clearer was that they boosted the highs while thinning the bass? Maybe the 595's exaggerated the effect?

I don't know the reason, and perhaps it's obvious I am not very experienced in different headphone amps. I am now very reluctant to mail order another amp without being able to listen first, with both headphones. I understand there are headphone meets I could attend, and will be on the lookout for these. Ended up buying an LCD3, and would like a nice amp to let it sing. But am leery to buy anything until I figure this out.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. There may be a simple reason that I'm just not aware of.

post #5841 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post


is that you second set?

 

No, I've never heard them. But I grabbed 4 just in case.

post #5842 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by willard View Post

I recently ordered a Lyr to power an Audeze LCD2 I was evaluating for purchase. I ordered it with the alternate JJ tubes the Schiit company offered instead of the standard GE tubes, as a web reviewer stated the JJ's sounded clearer, which sounded good to me. The Lyr with the JJ tubes drove the Audeze LCD2 headphones nicely. The LCD2 also sounded fairly good from the headphone jack of the Marantz 5004 CD player that was feeding signal to the Lyr. Then I tried plugging in my previous favorite, my Sennheiser 595 headphones. For some reason, they sounded thin in bass and exaggerated in the treble end. The Sennheisers sounded just fine through the Marantz headphone jack.

I contacted Schiit about this, and said I'd like to return the Lyr, as I didn't want an amp that was only good for one headphone. Jason at Schiit was very nice about it, and later said he could not figure out why the Sennheisers sounded like they did. I had a few audiophile friends over during my evaluation and they confirmed my impressions, so it wasn't just me. I don't know what was going on, and hated to return what seemed a very nice and well rated amp. But didn't want the return period to expire while I tried to figure out the reason for the problem.

The LCD2 is shown as a 60 ohm impedence, while the 595 is shown as 50 ohms. Though not much of a difference, maybe that was the issue?

Or maybe the reason the the JJ tubes sounded clearer was that they boosted the highs while thinning the bass? Maybe the 595's exaggerated the effect?

I don't know the reason, and perhaps it's obvious I am not very experienced in different headphone amps. I am now very reluctant to mail order another amp without being able to listen first, with both headphones. I understand there are headphone meets I could attend, and will be on the lookout for these. Ended up buying an LCD3, and would like a nice amp to let it sing. But am leery to buy anything until I figure this out.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. There may be a simple reason that I'm just not aware of.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to ensure the 1/4 headphone jack on your 595's is fully seated and getting good contact with the new jack. Maybe some contact cleaner can help. Other than that, I don't know.

post #5843 of 8735
Willard reading through post I couldn't help think the jj are the culprit. I got the jjs with my lyr and with the cans I had (lcd2,k701) the tubes made them sound bass light with extended highs. I wasn't till I started rolling that I could appreciate the lyr. That being said even with some of the best tubes for the lcd3 the mjolnir is hard to beat
post #5844 of 8735

Hey guys..thanks for all the great info here. And very best to dk on getting well.

 

Question...I have one tube saver, purchased from tubemonger and the other has gone missing. I'd rather not spend the money at tubemonger as they are pricey there. Is there another source for these that's bit more economical? 

 

thanks...

post #5845 of 8735

So, my initial impression of the PCC88's.

 

Expansive. Controlled. Definitive.  Not bass heavy, or light. Neutral. Great space and imaging. 

 

Light on the gain however. I have to put the volume pot into the 'fear' zone with the HD800s. When in this zone I always think some sax or guitar will suddenly come out of nowhere and rip my head off. 

 

Oh well. Still breaking in.

post #5846 of 8735

How long did it take to receive the Lorenz from Lithuania ?   Thanks

post #5847 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post

How long did it take to receive the Lorenz from Lithuania ?   Thanks

It varies.  My experience seems to be about the longest at about 6 weeks

post #5848 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Hey guys..thanks for all the great info here. And very best to dk on getting well.

 

Question...I have one tube saver, purchased from tubemonger and the other has gone missing. I'd rather not spend the money at tubemonger as they are pricey there. Is there another source for these that's bit more economical? 

 

thanks...

The NOVIB's are all $25 from what I've found.

 

But eBay eBay is chalk full of 'em.


Edited by paradoxper - 3/12/13 at 10:52am
post #5849 of 8735

I picked up some of the socket savers from ebay.  They shipped from Shenzen, China, but arrived in less than a week - I was very impressed.  The China Post delivery went by air to NYC, which is pretty close to me.

 

 

I wouldn't recommend them, though, if you actually change tubes often.  The savers fit so tightly that I really had to plead with the tube pins to get them into the savers.  I cannot imagine that the saver will actually stay in the socket when I go to remove the tube.  They provide some height for the tube, which I think looks nice, but not much other than that.  For only $6, though, I'm not sure what I could expect.  That's $6 INCLUDING SHIPPING TO MY DOOR FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET VIA A JUMBO JET AND TRUCK! ;)

post #5850 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post

How long did it take to receive the Lorenz from Lithuania ?   Thanks


Mine took 2 weeks exactly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread