Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 363  

post #5431 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

Hey Iamnothim, where did you get the bumpers in your picture? I'm assuming those are vibration dampers of some kind? What do they do exactly?

 

I just bought some PEEK dampers from Herbie's Audio Lab. Very satisfied. They have other designs as well:

 

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/index.htm

post #5432 of 8735

Got them here:  http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

 

They remind me of my childhood....

 

post #5433 of 8735
I sure am digging the new MBV through this piece of schiit.
post #5434 of 8735

 Not that anyone cares, but you guys were exactly right about my inability to properly insert the tubes. It should be noted that due to my grip, (I train with 250lbs hand grippers) I'm a bit apprehensive about 'firmly' setting the tubes. They're definitely set now though cool.gif

post #5435 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Not that anyone cares, but you guys were exactly right about my inability to properly insert the tubes. It should be noted that due to my grip, (I train with 250lbs hand grippers) I'm a bit apprehensive about 'firmly' setting the tubes. They're definitely set now though cool.gif


If you like music - We all care.

 

Now, buy some more tubes and go thru the whole process again.

 

and again.


and again.

post #5436 of 8735

I'm already excited for my Orange Globes. Matched, '74, that's about all I know at this point. Still doing my research. Tubes are perfect for me with my buying OCD. And my LCD's are so much different from my Sig Pro's, that tubes will definitely play a huge role in what I'll roll with each can. They're these btw:

 

AMPEREX 6DJ8 ECC88 ORANGE LABEL VACUUM TUBE MATCHED PAIR 1974 CHECKED TEKTRONIX

post #5437 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post

Likely only the $300 ones were autographed by Lorenz, Tesla, Ohm and Einstein!!!!

tongue.gif

 

I'd buy that for a dollar.

post #5438 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Hey,

 

I like these....  E188CC   Gold Pin, Mitchum.

I'd like them better if they were made in the 60's

$130 USD  he has 8 sets.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Mullard-E188CC-7308-NOS-Valves-Tubes-E88CC-6922-CCa-CV2492-/330876855394?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item4d09cc2462


You ... evil... bastard. Don't post stuff like that. tongue_smile.gif

post #5439 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

I'm already excited for my Orange Globes. Matched, '74, that's about all I know at this point. Still doing my research. Tubes are perfect for me with my buying OCD. And my LCD's are so much different from my Sig Pro's, that tubes will definitely play a huge role in what I'll roll with each can. They're these btw:

 

AMPEREX 6DJ8 ECC88 ORANGE LABEL VACUUM TUBE MATCHED PAIR 1974 CHECKED TEKTRONIX

 

Me too. I snagged  a pair of 67's today for $40, but they were local. So I'm hoping to see them next week. Currently listening to stock like you.

I grabbed some Cryro 6N23P-EVs a 1.5 weeks ago or so, hoping they show soon. Search this thread. They got some nods which triggered my purchase.

post #5440 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 I'm completely conflicted at this point in my head-fi journey. Should I be buying thousands of dollars worth of head-fi gear if I can't properly insert a tube?? Sarcasm aside, I very much appreciate everyone's input. I'm still new to this all (relatively speaking).

 

Ever installed DIMM modules? (RAM) into a modern computer? The full size sticks require more pressure than you think. So much so you might think you're going to crack the motherboard. But, this is what it takes. Once the tube is seated fully, there should be no play at all. It should take force on par with insertion to start it rocking it back out.

 

Not that I have removed a tube... I only had to install mine. I had no issues, but I've a ... knack for this sort of thing by now.  Give me a socket and I know what to do with her. tongue_smile.gif

post #5441 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Not that anyone cares, but you guys were exactly right about my inability to properly insert the tubes. It should be noted that due to my grip, (I train with 250lbs hand grippers) I'm a bit apprehensive about 'firmly' setting the tubes. They're definitely set now though cool.gif

Thanks for the update. I'm truly happy for ya.
post #5442 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post


You ... evil... bastard. Don't post stuff like that. tongue_smile.gif

Don't buy those. They're 74' dimple getters. Too new.
I bought the 1960 Mullard RTC. E188CC. More money but better valves. $200
There are mor eavailable.
post #5443 of 8735

 So quick update. My Sig Pro's still pick up on an audible hum/ticking. The LCD's are dead quiet... So at the moment, when I need to switch to the closed back Sig Pro's, I'm just plugging them into my E12. The tubes are definitely snug now. They went in just as you guys said they would.


Edited by TooPoor - 2/21/13 at 10:25pm
post #5444 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Got them here:  http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

They remind me of my childhood....



That is so cool, I just picked up brass dampers from Brent Jesse. I am having a hard time swallowing these claims about separation/staging improvements but for $30 why not try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 So quick update. My Sig Pro's still pick up on an audible hum/ticking. The LCD's are dead quiet... So at the moment, when I need to switch to the closed back Sig Pro's, I'm just plugging them into my E12. The tubes are definitely snug now. They went in just as you guys said they would.

Sig Pros are what 32 Ω? That hum could be impedance related or they are just super sensitive. Have you tried moving the power cable to a different outlet? I had a 60Hz hum and then when I changed outlets it went away completely.
post #5445 of 8735

 The Sig Pro's certainly do not have any synergy with the Lyr (unles turned up quite a bit), but that was to be expected.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread