Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 350  

post #5236 of 8735

post #5237 of 8735

wink_face.gif

post #5238 of 8735
post #5239 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf Hutter View Post

 

post #5240 of 8735

 Sifting through 350 pages can be a bit tedious and tiresome... Can someone tell me, simply, what are great tubes for excellent bass and soundstage (if that's truly possible). There is a nauseating amount of information when it comes to tube selection and I'm looking to start somewhere, albeit basic. It'd be for my HE-400s (incoming LCD2.2's as well). I love EDM, metal, and everything in between, so essentially seeking an all arounder that has a warm, syrupy sound signature that compliments ortho's (moreso than a SS amp).

post #5241 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Sifting through 350 pages can be a bit tedious and tiresome... Can someone tell me, simply, what are great tubes for excellent bass and soundstage (if that's truly possible). There is a nauseating amount of information when it comes to tube selection and I'm looking to start somewhere, albeit basic. It'd be for my HE-400s (incoming LCD2.2's as well). I love EDM, metal, and everything in between, so essentially seeking an all arounder that has a warm, syrupy sound signature that compliments ortho's (moreso than a SS amp).

Hi,

On page 348 there is a discussion on a good valve selection that would have good soundstaging and not be "blurry"

I interpreted this to be clean and crisp.

 

I will stick my neck out and say there's a good consensus that Mid 1960 Amperex Orange Globes are a great valve to start with.

They are about $70 and they will open you're Lyr up straight away.

 

Like These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321062040828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

BTW: this reseller is very good.

post #5242 of 8735

You guys must be using those new unobtanium tubes.
 

post #5243 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

You guys must be using those new unobtanium tubes.
 

As you know.... not so long ago.


Ya gotta start someplace.biggrin.gif

post #5244 of 8735

Let the breadboarding begin...

 

 

post #5245 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

 

I will stick my neck out and say there's a good consensus that Mid 1960 Amperex Orange Globes are a great valve to start with.

They are about $70 and they will open you're Lyr up straight away.

 

Like These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321062040828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

BTW: this reseller is very good.

 

I've had good experience with this seller as well. 

post #5246 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

In fact these valves were made in the Amperex Philips factory in Heerlen Holland and labeled "RTC"
post #5247 of 8735

a tape ?? what do you mean ?? I just quitted tube rolling because of it, 6bz7 are indeed great stock tubes, now searching for the new dac to pair well with my system

 

the design for tube rolling is bad - it's obvious and I was a bit shocked when I received my unit


Edited by magicman - 2/9/13 at 5:06am
post #5248 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post

a tape ?? what do you mean ?? I just quitted tube rolling because of it, 6bz7 are indeed great stock tubes, now searching for the new dac to pair well with my system

 

the design for tube rolling is bad - it's obvious and I was a bit shocked when I received my unit

I do think you're the first person (at least that I recall), that has had a problem with the design of the Lyr.

 

Have you at least tried out tube gloves or socket savers?

post #5249 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

 Sifting through 350 pages can be a bit tedious and tiresome... Can someone tell me, simply, what are great tubes for excellent bass and soundstage (if that's truly possible). There is a nauseating amount of information when it comes to tube selection and I'm looking to start somewhere, albeit basic. It'd be for my HE-400s (incoming LCD2.2's as well). I love EDM, metal, and everything in between, so essentially seeking an all arounder that has a warm, syrupy sound signature that compliments ortho's (moreso than a SS amp).

 

Amperex orange globes and orange labels are usually good, but personally I think that a good pair of NOS Bugle Boys bests them:

 

http://stores.ebay.com/TUBEHUNTER/_i.html?_nkw=bugle+ecc88&submit=Search&_sid=655091105

 

Take your pick. You won't be sorry. I'll also say the this seller (Smitty) is a great guy who knows his stuff and has great customer service.


Edited by swmtnbiker - 2/9/13 at 6:40pm
post #5250 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

 

Amperex orange globes and orange labels are usually good, but personally I think that a good pair of NOS Bugle Boys bests them:

 

http://stores.ebay.com/TUBEHUNTER/_i.html?_nkw=bugle+ecc88&submit=Search&_sid=655091105

 

Take your pick. You won't be sorry. I'll also say the this seller (Smitty) is a great guy who knows his stuff and has great customer service.


Yes, I haven't try with my orange globe, i like what I'm hearing with bogle boy with the Lyr!darthsmile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread