Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These headphones are a great pair for home use, and use for movies, videos and ect. They deliver great sound quality, but I wouldn't consider it hi-Fi though. I listen to mostly Metal and Rock...
I was overall unimpressed with the Focal Spirit One cans. I'm hardly a connoisseur of headphones, but I was let down a bit by the sound and the manufacturer's advertising. I compared these to...
I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip). Build/Design: I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much...
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 325post #4861 of 87351/9/13 at 8:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4862 of 87351/9/13 at 9:08am
ROFLMAO!!! That was classic!
It's the Audio Technica Headphone stand (although not the last). Before I got the LCD-2's I bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV headphones and the stand to go with them. Unfortunately, the headphones wouldn't fit my elephant ears...but I kept the stand.
Edited by HK_sends - 1/9/13 at 5:35pmpost #4863 of 87351/9/13 at 9:53amQuote:Nice I dig itpost #4864 of 87351/10/13 at 5:24amQuote:Originally Posted by paradoxperQuote:
There are no sonic differences. Although, I swear my Bamboo did sound better than the old Rosewood.
My new Rosewood (latest iteration) sounds better than my old Rosewood (early rev.2).Quote:Originally Posted by HK_sends
I have no desire to enter this argument. However:
This picture shows the rosewood most naturally...
The Rosewood is darker in real life than the pictures. The flash lightens it up.
Q-Audio Cable, Brown Silk...Steve Eddy is now only offering cables in silk...
I'll let you decide...
PS - And to stay on topic...Boy, I sure still like the Philipis JAN 6922 tubes in my Lyr!
Rosewood FTW!post #4865 of 87351/10/13 at 9:54ampost #4866 of 87351/10/13 at 10:14ampost #4867 of 87351/10/13 at 10:37amQuote:
FTW- ForThe Win, easly confused with other not so friendly abbreviations
I think the rose sniffers can sleep soundly
Edited by dailydoseofdaly - 1/10/13 at 11:38ampost #4868 of 87351/10/13 at 11:02ampost #4869 of 87351/10/13 at 7:13pmpost #4870 of 87351/10/13 at 7:37pmQuote:
Only the JAN Philips a couple days ago.
At first I loved them Very clear and defined. Then after a while it was , What's going on?
I would describe them as too intense. I had to get them out.
I'll give them another chance, but I'm enjoying my D getters.post #4871 of 87351/10/13 at 11:04pmQuote:
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over. note that one tube is slightly microphonic, kinda disappointed but that's the gamble of NOS tubes, or anything analog for that matter. the tube dampers DO help, they seem to take it from a high, constant ring to a lower, less audible hum. not entirely eliminating anything, no turning water into wine or anything but certainly helpful in reducing in microphonics. just from previous knowledge of the tracks i'm listening to, the Amperex seem to be very mids forward. good extension in the bass. it's rich and wholesome, but doesn't have that "wow" factor. they are detailed, but don't have an incredible amount of air to them. much my heavier rock (post rock, math rock, etc) seems muddy. i'm factoring the fact that a lot of these bands operate on a very minimalist budget and i'm sure audiophile-grade recordings aren't the top thing on their list of priorities. one thing it does really well is clean rock like The Police, Men at Work, etc and chillwave sounds unbelievably "tangible" on this set up. analog synths are crunchy, full, vibrant, warm, gooey, phat audio goodness. fuzz effects and the accenting vocals are accentuated well and complete the overall sound of this tube. imo, the search will continue. i would like something "cleaner" with more balance. maybe some siemens CCa's or telefunkens... want: more air, more neutrality in sound. i'll continue browsing this thread, much to the dismay of my wallet, looking for something that meets my desires.
Edited by drumsnspace - 1/11/13 at 12:43ampost #4872 of 87351/10/13 at 11:42pmQuote:yupOriginally Posted by drumsnspace
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over.post #4873 of 87351/11/13 at 12:37amQuote:Originally Posted by drumsnspace
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over.
is that tubby love making experience?post #4874 of 87351/11/13 at 12:41ampost #4875 of 87351/11/13 at 12:54am
heh, that was the initial shock from going from uncomfortable ER-4P's and stock laptop speakers to the set up listed in my sig. the detail is unreal, but i think i'll keep searching for "the one tube to rule them all." i'd like more air between the instruments and a more neutral depiction of the frequencies represented in each song.
EDIT: so i'm gonna redact my muddiness comment. just rolled through a better mastered post rock test song that i love and the detail is astounding. perhaps i'm warming up to these tubes. is this tube "settling in" thing legitimate or is it anything widely debated topic with no scientific data behind it? they seem to be opening up. sorry if i jumped the gun on my review too soon, we'll call that one "Initial Impressions" for all concerned parties and i'll closely monitor any changes they present.
Edited by drumsnspace - 1/11/13 at 12:59am
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Help! Colorfly C3 vs iBasso DX50 vs Cowon D20 1 minute ago
- › IPod 5th Gen Headphone capless output MOD: 2 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Trade gear, always looking for new stuff! Headphones, amps, dac's,... 5 minutes ago
- › Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. 6 minutes ago
- › HD-25-1 II 6 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 8 minutes ago
- › Review + Appreciation thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 9 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced... 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by Cobaltius
- › Focal Spirit One Headphones by guidfail
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by BenF
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude