Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What Amp/ DAC Combination for Games/ Films on PS3/ PC Last post on 9/6/11 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Lyr/Valhalla Last post on 4/25/13 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- amp advice Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 325post #4861 of 87351/9/13 at 8:41am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4862 of 87351/9/13 at 9:08am
ROFLMAO!!! That was classic!
It's the Audio Technica Headphone stand (although not the last). Before I got the LCD-2's I bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV headphones and the stand to go with them. Unfortunately, the headphones wouldn't fit my elephant ears...but I kept the stand.
Edited by HK_sends - 1/9/13 at 5:35pmpost #4863 of 87351/9/13 at 9:53amQuote:Nice I dig itpost #4864 of 87351/10/13 at 5:24amQuote:Originally Posted by paradoxperQuote:
There are no sonic differences. Although, I swear my Bamboo did sound better than the old Rosewood.
My new Rosewood (latest iteration) sounds better than my old Rosewood (early rev.2).Quote:Originally Posted by HK_sends
I have no desire to enter this argument. However:
This picture shows the rosewood most naturally...
The Rosewood is darker in real life than the pictures. The flash lightens it up.
Q-Audio Cable, Brown Silk...Steve Eddy is now only offering cables in silk...
I'll let you decide...
PS - And to stay on topic...Boy, I sure still like the Philipis JAN 6922 tubes in my Lyr!
Rosewood FTW!post #4865 of 87351/10/13 at 9:54ampost #4866 of 87351/10/13 at 10:14ampost #4867 of 87351/10/13 at 10:37amQuote:
FTW- ForThe Win, easly confused with other not so friendly abbreviations
I think the rose sniffers can sleep soundly
Edited by dailydoseofdaly - 1/10/13 at 11:38ampost #4868 of 87351/10/13 at 11:02ampost #4869 of 87351/10/13 at 7:13pmpost #4870 of 87351/10/13 at 7:37pmQuote:
Only the JAN Philips a couple days ago.
At first I loved them Very clear and defined. Then after a while it was , What's going on?
I would describe them as too intense. I had to get them out.
I'll give them another chance, but I'm enjoying my D getters.post #4871 of 87351/10/13 at 11:04pmQuote:
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over. note that one tube is slightly microphonic, kinda disappointed but that's the gamble of NOS tubes, or anything analog for that matter. the tube dampers DO help, they seem to take it from a high, constant ring to a lower, less audible hum. not entirely eliminating anything, no turning water into wine or anything but certainly helpful in reducing in microphonics. just from previous knowledge of the tracks i'm listening to, the Amperex seem to be very mids forward. good extension in the bass. it's rich and wholesome, but doesn't have that "wow" factor. they are detailed, but don't have an incredible amount of air to them. much my heavier rock (post rock, math rock, etc) seems muddy. i'm factoring the fact that a lot of these bands operate on a very minimalist budget and i'm sure audiophile-grade recordings aren't the top thing on their list of priorities. one thing it does really well is clean rock like The Police, Men at Work, etc and chillwave sounds unbelievably "tangible" on this set up. analog synths are crunchy, full, vibrant, warm, gooey, phat audio goodness. fuzz effects and the accenting vocals are accentuated well and complete the overall sound of this tube. imo, the search will continue. i would like something "cleaner" with more balance. maybe some siemens CCa's or telefunkens... want: more air, more neutrality in sound. i'll continue browsing this thread, much to the dismay of my wallet, looking for something that meets my desires.
Edited by drumsnspace - 1/11/13 at 12:43ampost #4872 of 87351/10/13 at 11:42pmQuote:yupOriginally Posted by drumsnspace
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over.post #4873 of 87351/11/13 at 12:37amQuote:Originally Posted by drumsnspace
well my Lyr came in today, tried the new GEs Schiit was offering for all of, eh 30 minutes? and curiosity killed the tube roller. got my Amperex USN-CEP 6922's in now. and WOW WHAT is this liquid beauty pouring out of my cans... this is an experience i have no words for. other than i feel warm and tingly all over.
is that tubby love making experience?post #4874 of 87351/11/13 at 12:41ampost #4875 of 87351/11/13 at 12:54am
heh, that was the initial shock from going from uncomfortable ER-4P's and stock laptop speakers to the set up listed in my sig. the detail is unreal, but i think i'll keep searching for "the one tube to rule them all." i'd like more air between the instruments and a more neutral depiction of the frequencies represented in each song.
EDIT: so i'm gonna redact my muddiness comment. just rolled through a better mastered post rock test song that i love and the detail is astounding. perhaps i'm warming up to these tubes. is this tube "settling in" thing legitimate or is it anything widely debated topic with no scientific data behind it? they seem to be opening up. sorry if i jumped the gun on my review too soon, we'll call that one "Initial Impressions" for all concerned parties and i'll closely monitor any changes they present.
Edited by drumsnspace - 1/11/13 at 12:59am
This thread is locked
- Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › La Figaro 339 9 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 51 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Can I just glue the headphone jack tip back on? 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Anyone from the Philippines here? 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones. 10 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 11 minutes ago
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2