Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 320  

post #4786 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333jeffery View Post

If you want a cheap but nice starter tube, try the Telefunken PCC85. At $25 a tube, it's hard to beat.

Huh that's a 9v tube
post #4787 of 8735

Yup and it works great in the Lyr.

post #4788 of 8735
Cool I hadn't tried that big of voltage difference but the lyr is a current mode auto biasing amp so I guess it covers it.
Anyway I'm heading out to the festivities, Happy New Year Everyone!
post #4789 of 8735

That's rather serious heater under voltage. Not something biasing is supposed to fix.

post #4790 of 8735

Hey, if he's happy, the tube sounds good to him, and nothing bursts into flame...that's all that matters...right? (as long as he doesn't void his warrantywink_face.gif)

 

Cheers to a Happy New Year!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #4791 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

The returns with Valhalla and tube rolling is not nearly as good, different, or satisfying as Lyr. IMO.

 

 

What tubes have you tried with your Valhalla?

 

Thanks! bigsmile_face.gif

post #4792 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by solserenade View Post

 

What tubes have you tried with your Valhalla?

 

Thanks! bigsmile_face.gif


Yes....I'm curious what tubes do you use?  I just got the valhalla and I have full of questions about tube rolling.

post #4793 of 8735

Hi...

 

What is soo different about Amperex orange label and bugle boy?  sound sig? or different light color? or different year?

 

THanks

post #4794 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post

Hi...

 

What is soo different about Amperex orange label and bugle boy?  sound sig? or different light color? or different year?

 

THanks

It comes down to where they were made (Holland), the materials used, and the year when assessing a purchase of tubes(at least to me) .For instance,  I have a matched pair of PQ gold pin Amperex that are USA made that have a much different sonic signature then the Orange globes and the Bugle Boys.

 

My absolute favorite tubes I have experienced thus far are French made (E188cc) Mazda, Dario Miniwatt, and the just unbelievable sounding LA Radiotechniques all three of those just take the Lyr to another level to my ears.

 

BTW if you are considering the Orange Globes they are great for the money!

post #4795 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

It comes down to where they were made (Holland), the materials used, and the year when assessing a purchase of tubes(at least to me) .For instance,  I have a matched pair of PQ gold pin Amperex that are USA made that have a much different sonic signature then the Orange globes and the Bugle Boys.

 

My absolute favorite tubes I have experienced thus far are French made (E188cc) Mazda, Dario Miniwatt, and the just unbelievable sounding LA Radiotechniques all three of those just take the Lyr to another level to my ears.

 

BTW if you are considering the Orange Globes they are great for the money!


Yes i'm definitely considering the orange globes and near future I'm considering Amperex 6299 too...but that's later in the road...

 

Thank you for your info.. beerchug.gif

post #4796 of 8735

As some of the old hands who followed this thread know, other than the Matsu***ta 6922 tubes, I have never been fond of the 6922/E88CC/CCA types.  I always thought the mids and treble were too emphasized and the bass a bit weak.  That's why I always preferred the PCC88/ECC88 types.  That is, until now.  I finally got a chance to try some Philips JAN 6922 tubes:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MATCHED-NOS-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-TUBES-PHILIPS-w-BONUS-DAMPERS-COUNTERPOINT-/350665933509?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4623679430533677213%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D350665933509%26

 

...and have been quite impressed with their overall sound and even their bass extension.  Call me a fan...I had to get a second set.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends 


Edited by HK_sends - 1/3/13 at 3:20pm
post #4797 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

As some of the old hands who followed this thread know, other than the Matsu***ta 6922 tubes, I have never been fond of the 6922/E88CC/CCA types.  I always thought the mids and treble were too emphasized and the bass a bit weak.  That's why I always preferred the PCC88/ECC88 types.  That is, until now.  I finally got a chance to try some Philips JAN 6922 tubes:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MATCHED-NOS-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-TUBES-PHILIPS-w-BONUS-DAMPERS-COUNTERPOINT-/350665933509?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4623679430533677213%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D350665933509%26

 

...and have been quite impressed with their overall sound and even their bass extension.  Call me a fan...I had to get a second set.

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Hey HK !

 

Interesting.

I've never owned CCA's or E88's  But I was planning to get some.

I appreciate reading your op.

 

Thanks for the Philips JAN NOS link.

I saw $53 and just punched Buy it Now.

Why not?

 

 

I just noticed they have a set that is "balanced" too.

Should I upgrade?

 

I've only seen an option for "matched"

post #4798 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Hey HK !

 

Interesting.

I've never owned CCA's or E88's  But I was planning to get some.

I appreciate reading your op.

 

Thanks for the Philips JAN NOS link.

I saw $53 and just punched Buy it Now.

Why not?

 

 

I just noticed they have a set that is "balanced" too.

Should I upgrade?

 

I've only seen an option for "matched"

For the Lyr?  No, you don't need balanced.  I believe they are talking about matching both triodes in each tube and making sure they match the values in the other tube.  Since the Lyr only uses one triode per channel, as long as the first triode in one tube matches the first triode in the other tube, it won't matter if the second triodes match closely.  And, if you use Tubemongers triode flipper then it will be important if the second triode in each tube matches as well.  Confused yet? blink.gif

 

Hope that helps...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

 

PS - The reason a lot of us wanted to get as many Lorenz PCC88 tubes as we could is because the Lorenz tend to sound like the Siemens CCa tubes...but with added base and instrument separation.

post #4799 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

For the Lyr?  No, you don't need balanced.  I believe they are talking about matching both triodes in each tube and making sure they match the values in the other tube.  Since the Lyr only uses one triode per channel, as long as the first triode in one tube matches the first triode in the other tube, it won't matter if the second triodes match closely.  And, if you use Tubemongers triode flipper then it will be important if the second triode in each tube matches as well.  Confused yet? blink.gif

 

Hope that helps...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

 

PS - The reason a lot of us wanted to get as many Lorenz PCC88 tubes as we could is because the Lorenz tend to sound like the Siemens CCa tubes...but with added base and instrument separation.

Outstanding information.

And yes, the whole triode thing hasn't sunk in.  It's on my list to read more.

Right up there with understanding year month numbering schemes.

 

Sandy sent me a message pitching, what else, E88CC's, NOS Gold Pins.  $230

Are those the E88CC's types that you don't particularly care for?

post #4800 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Outstanding information.

And yes, the whole triode thing hasn't sunk in.  It's on my list to read more.

Right up there with understanding year month numbering schemes.

 

Sandy sent me a message pitching, what else, E88CC's, NOS Gold Pins.  $230

Are those the E88CC's types that you don't particularly care for?

I've listened to a variety of E88CCs including some in that price range and I never really cared for any of them.  I found the ECC88s had more bass weight than the E88CCs (see what I mean about confusing?).  I know there are some folks that swear by E88CCs but I could never keep them in my amp very long.  Now that being said, our ears are different and you might end up liking them.  Remember, I wasn't a fan of 6922s either until I heard these (the Matsu's were the odd exception).  I will say this...as far as these and the Matsu's go...after I got these today, I see no reason to chase down a set of Matsu's anymore.

 

My standard disclaimer: All this is IMHO and YMMV...

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends


Edited by HK_sends - 1/3/13 at 6:02pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread