Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 295  

post #4411 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post

I'd be interested to learn how the orange globes sound compared to the Mullards. 

Did you consider HiFiMan?

If so what pushed you to Audeze?

post #4412 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post

Ohhh my you guys are stouting the Amperex Oran as good sounding tubes?... dear  they sound ok but pale in comparison to just about anything but he bottom of the barrel..

This thread has gone to hell....

 

Glad I was active when we really had a consensus on what good was... god you guys need help
 

 

Such an obnoxious post. Ever considered the myriad of components combining to achieve different signatures? And the individual preferences that affect how these tubes are perceived? What about budget?

 

This isn't the first time you've ridiculed people for venturing beyond the tubes you've hyped. Perhaps you're the one that needs help.

post #4413 of 8735

Iamnothim, the HE500's pair very well with the Lyr, and sound better than the HD600/650's. But, they are fairly heavy headphones. You should try a pair on before you decide.

 

Dece will have to go with a solid-state amp like the Mjolnir to get maximum bass, considering that the E288CC's were not enough for his music. The Mjolnir has bass in spades.

 

 

And, folks looking for "cheap" tubes that sound darned good really should try the Telefunken PCC85's. They are plentiful, atleast for now...

post #4414 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Ok...  I'm so geeked.

 

Bifrost (toslink) to Lyr.  Right now Amprex  Orange / USA / Bugle Boys.

 

My max purchase would be Senn HD800's  I love the comfort factor.

 

What's a good fit with my kit?

Not that I don't like the 650's

 

Aldeze  ?

HiFiman  ?

Beyer ?

 

What aspects of the HD650 do you like? What aspects would you like improved?

 

To me, the LCD-2 is a side-grade from the venerable HD650. Yes, technically it's better, but I still find the HD650 more engaging. The HD800 on the other hand, is not only technically superior, but can also be just as involving when in full flight. The Bifrost/Lyr combo with Bugles in place will give you a very smooth and musical presentation, without stifling the HD800's strengths (not as much as other tubes anyway). These tubes have never been praised in this thread, but I can't recall anyone else spending time with the Schiit chain and the HD800 at the end. It took the HD800 to reveal how good the Bugles are (preferred them to the Stuttgarts with the flagship Senn).

post #4415 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

Such an obnoxious post. Ever considered the myriad of components combining to achieve different signatures? And the individual preferences that affect how these tubes are perceived? What about budget?

 

This isn't the first time you've ridiculed people for venturing beyond the tubes you've hyped. Perhaps you're the one that needs help.

That's just the way Scary is-he means no harm,or disrespect

Mr.Scary is probably one of the most knowleable senior members on the forum,and he really knows his tubes..

I have bought some of my finest tubes from him,at prices ,that most people would consider a gift.

 

His delivery,well,can be a little direct-that's all..

post #4416 of 8735

I've found myself exclusively listening to the Lyr with the HE-500 and sometimes the Denon ADH7000.....all my other headphones (HD800, HD650, HE-6, LCD-3) I listen to with Mjolnir.....well except the HD650 I've moved to work with an O2 amp......They synergy between the Lyr and HE-500 is the best in my opinion out of these headphones. 

post #4417 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Did you consider HiFiMan?

If so what pushed you to Audeze?

I didn't because I hear the bass is not as good. 

post #4418 of 8735

I got both the Schiit Lyr and the Audeze LCD-2 and they are a very good combo. I don't really feel that I am missing anything when using that combo.

post #4419 of 8735

+1

post #4420 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post

I've found myself exclusively listening to the Lyr with the HE-500 and sometimes the Denon ADH7000.....all my other headphones (HD800, HD650, HE-6, LCD-3) I listen to with Mjolnir.....well except the HD650 I've moved to work with an O2 amp......They synergy between the Lyr and HE-500 is the best in my opinion out of these headphones. 

Good Info. Thanks.

Btw. Have you considered 12 step program or headphone intervention ?
post #4421 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post


Yo! Mr "Skull and Bones", we should cut these newcomers some slack.
We've all been through the learning curve before....
Don't you remember yourself raving about the Russian tubes before? LOL
To the others, he's the "resident evil" here . wink.gif
Beneath his tough "he-man" exterior, he's actually a nice guy deep down.
Have fun tube rolling!

Why ya trying to ruin this man's reputation.

 

Scary is big and bad..and SCARY!!!! tongue.gif

post #4422 of 8735
It's hard to find retailers for these cans with the proliferation of online selling. Which is great for the wallet.
But I found some good fortune on the Audeze front.

The Audeze factory is 20 miles from my home. I am going to email them to see if I can drop by for a listen. biggrin.gif
That's a lot better than a 15% restock fee.
post #4423 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

It's hard to find retailers for these cans with the proliferation of online selling. Which is great for the wallet.
But I found some good fortune on the Audeze front.
The Audeze factory is 20 miles from my home. I am going to email them to see if I can drop by for a listen. biggrin.gif
That's a lot better than a 15% restock fee.

Cool! Let us know how it goes. It would be cool if they give you a factory tour or something too. 

post #4424 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

It's hard to find retailers for these cans with the proliferation of online selling. Which is great for the wallet.
But I found some good fortune on the Audeze front.
The Audeze factory is 20 miles from my home. I am going to email them to see if I can drop by for a listen. biggrin.gif
That's a lot better than a 15% restock fee.

 

Wow...you're lucky. I live in Atlanta and there's really no place to go to audition any headphones. mad.gif

post #4425 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post

Cool! Let us know how it goes. It would be cool if they give you a factory tour or something too. 

Just sent an email asking for an invite.

Since they sell direct I can't imagine them saying no. smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread